Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have had a very difficult time staying hydrated since my surgery. I ended up in the hospital for three days last week and I have been in an infusion center 4 days not to include the actual three days I had right after the surgery. I just can't seem to drink enough and I am so sick and tired of being poked and prodded. Have any of you had or considered getting in an a port so that you could get your proper hydration and blood work done? If so, how did you bring up the discussion with your dr.? I have a Fibromyalgia and every poke feels like a knife stab. I'm really getting frustrated with this whole mess.

Edited by Jadeskys

Not sure why a port would be an option unless they think this will be a chronic problem for you..... It should pass.... I hope you are soon feeling better

I have had a very difficult time staying hydrated since my surgery. I ended up in the hospital for three days last week and I have been in an infusion center 4 days not to include the actual three days I had right after the surgery. I just can't seem to drink enough and I am so sick and tired of being poked and prodded. Have any of you had or considered getting in an a port so that you could get your proper hydration and blood work done? If so, how did you bring up the discussion with your dr.? I have a Fibromyalgia and every poke feels like a knife stab. I'm really getting frustrated with this whole mess.

Sorry that you are having these issues and hope things get better for you. Are you having to go to infusion center daily? What is your doctor telling you?

Twice last week and the week before. I've always had a hard time staying properly hydrated. I like Gatorade but that's not allowed anymore sience not 0 cal and I don't like the power aid zero. I got the electrolyte tabs but they don't seem to be helping. So yes I'm concerned this is going to be a chronic thing. I wonder if my blood pressure medicine could be contributing to the problem?

Edited by Jadeskys

They won't put a port in unless they feel it's medically necessary and see it as a long term issue that would warrant such a measure.

I understand your frustration. I have fibromyalgia too and have been in and out of the hospital much more frequently than I would like and need to get blood work almost weekly lately it seems.

I had a Picc line in for almost 6 months after sleeve surgery because I couldn't eat or drink anything due to nausea. I ended up getting 2 blood infections during that time.

You are more than welcome to bring up the idea of getting a port put in but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

I know it is hard to get all your Fluid in, especially right after surgery. I am almost a year out and that is still the thing I struggle the most with.

My pain was so out of control on Wednesday and I was dehydrated I just lost it in the doctors office. I was sobbing and explained to her I didn't think I could handle being poked one more time. I asked her if this was going to be a chronic problem to please start building a case for a port. I still ended up in the hospital that day and didn't much care how much they poked me after I was on morphine and anti-nausea medicine. The fibromyalgia seemed to be in a serious flare.