Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psychological Evaluation

I had my psychological eval this morning and was curious if mine was typical. I have not had my consultation with the doctor as they had to re-schedule my appt this week due to an emergency however they said to keep my psych appt. Apparently the surgery group I was referred to are doing so much business they had to seek other psychologists to help keep the process flowing. The psychologist I met with had just met with the surgeons yesterday to gain a better understanding of the process. She asked about my weight history and I told her that I put on about 30lbs in the 3 yrs after college (this was 30yrs ago) so went on a diet where I basically ate vegetables and diet coke and lost 42lbs(145 to 103) in 3mo. time but stabilized at about 118lbs after I went off the diet. At no time did I starve myself, I can live on homemade vegetable Soup. She told me I was anorexic. Over the years I have battled with my weight and now am significantly overweight (BMI of 49). She asked if I was on any prescription drugs and I shared that information with her. One script is for panic attacks which I've been treated for since about 1990 under my doctor's care. I told her I've gone off them before successfully but if the feelings come back I've been told to take the pills again. She feels I'm addicted, that I'm not having panic attacks but side effects from not taking the medication. We talked about my marriage (I'm divorced) and if I ever had counseling which I have at various times as my ex was an alcoholic and the divorce affected the entire family. She said she thought I was very realistic about the surgery and my reasons for wanting it, I had done a lot of research but she would write in her report that she feels I should wait at least six months due to the drug issue, that I should attend Al-Anon, and I should reduce stressors in my life. She added that perhaps the doctor would choose to perform the surgery but she wanted to be honest with me.

I'm curious what your psych eval's were like. A couple of my friends were surprised that she didn't ask me about my sex life.;)

I am an Addiction Therapist. I am curious what kinds of medication you are on for your Panic Attacks.....they she would suggest addiction.

Sharon/Memphis

i was asked lots of crazy questions and then took the 165 question test which was retarded to begin with like one says i was on the cover of time mag the last three mos ...hello this crap is stupied and yes i was asked about sex and everything els ..i think we are ok there are totally nutts its the dumbest thing i ever had to do period.....this a waste of 500.00 and my time ....