Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have trouble eating and drinking anything, what can u eat

Hi I feel i am in a lot of trouble at the moment, i am having daily trips to the hospital for a litre of fluids through a drip, and i get to see my surgeon on Tuesday, I have been having a lot of trouble getting through to her that i can't eat or drink enough, i have 5 kids to look after on my own and spend a lot of time throwing up after eating. I had a ct scan the other day that showed the band is in place, i am losing weight but it is by starving myself un intentionally.

My surgeon thinks i am a sook basically and my dietitian thinks i am not get enough food in for me to be well.

What can you eat in a day?, i am at the point where i think it is all in my head coz my surgeon keeps saying that i think that if i don't eat i will die, and that custard, vegies and a biscuit and cream cheese is enough, although i can't even eat any of that now.

I can eat about 2 spoons of yohgurt and feel it in my chest for 20 - 30 minutes before i feel comfortable again, and that is if it doesn't come back up. I stuggle drinking more than a sip or two at a time, i don't get even 600ml of Fluid in in a day.

I was banded in may i have 2.2 mls in, i did have 3ml and i couldn't even swallow my saliva, she reluctantly took out .5 ml after 2 1/2 days of constant vomiting and in that time i lost 7kgs. She took out another .3ml a week and a half ago and that still nade no difference.

There have been times that i have been able to eat with no problems but then i would have trouble getting food in again. I am so confused, i have changed my life for this and i now exercise constantly but i am having so much trouble and a surgeon who isn't listening to me at all.

I need to know what a normal lapband diet is for others and how they feel. please i would love to get some feedback here.

Thank you

Cheers Jane

Oh gosh, that is NOT normal. You sound as if you may need even a complete unfill to settle down and then start trying to reach a good level again.

Today I've had a bowl of muesli for Breakfast, a tuna sandwich on wholegrain bread for lunch. I'll probably try to fit in an apple this afternoon and tonight we're going out for dinner, so I dont know what I'll be having.

The difference between now and pre banding is not in the foods I can eat but how I can eat them. If I eat fast, I'll be in trouble - even with yogurt.. If I eat too much I'll be in trouble. Certain foods like bread I have to be VERY careful with, but I can eat them. Occasionally a bite goes down wrong and I get stuck, sliming, pain in the chest and maybe PBing.

But I eat a diet that wouldnt cause others to even know I was trying to lose weight.

PS: I am VERY lucky. Its not common to have as much freedom as I do with my band. I think its partly becuase I exercise a lot, burn lots of calories and therefore dont have any need to be tight, I can keep my band loose. I was a volume eater, so I dont really have problems with uncontrollable sugar or ice cream or junk food cravings.

More common is to have certain foods off your list, to PB and get stuck a little more regularly than I might but still be able to eat a pretty normal diet overall.

thanks Jacqui

I don't think what i am going through is right but the surgeon doesn't want to know i am having trouble. Is that you in yr avator(s?)

Can i please ask what PB ing is?, i have read it i don't understand it

Thanks

Cheers Jane

Hi I feel i am in a lot of trouble at the moment, i am having daily trips to the hospital for a litre of fluids through a drip, and i get to see my surgeon on Tuesday, I have been having a lot of trouble getting through to her that i can't eat or drink enough, i have 5 kids to look after on my own and spend a lot of time throwing up after eating. I had a ct scan the other day that showed the band is in place, i am losing weight but it is by starving myself un intentionally.

My surgeon thinks i am a sook basically and my dietitian thinks i am not get enough food in for me to be well.

What can you eat in a day?, i am at the point where i think it is all in my head coz my surgeon keeps saying that i think that if i don't eat i will die, and that custard, vegies and a biscuit and cream cheese is enough, although i can't even eat any of that now.

I can eat about 2 spoons of yohgurt and feel it in my chest for 20 - 30 minutes before i feel comfortable again, and that is if it doesn't come back up. I stuggle drinking more than a sip or two at a time, i don't get even 600ml of Fluid in in a day.

I was banded in may i have 2.2 mls in, i did have 3ml and i couldn't even swallow my saliva, she reluctantly took out .5 ml after 2 1/2 days of constant vomiting and in that time i lost 7kgs. She took out another .3ml a week and a half ago and that still nade no difference.

There have been times that i have been able to eat with no problems but then i would have trouble getting food in again. I am so confused, i have changed my life for this and i now exercise constantly but i am having so much trouble and a surgeon who isn't listening to me at all.

I need to know what a normal lapband diet is for others and how they feel. please i would love to get some feedback here.

Thank you

Cheers Jane

Is there another doctor near you that you could try. You need to be able to trust your doctor to listen to you. If there are other doctors nearby I would ring and ask if they will take you on even though they didn't do your surgery.

Keep in touch and let us know how you are... we will worry if we don't know you are OK.

Danna ;)

Thanks Dana

No there is not someone near by i will have to go about 350km away to see someone else, i am going to see how i go on tuesday when i see my surgeon, i think i am going for a total unfil to give my body a chance to recover, i am scared as i don't want to put weight on again, but i also can't keep going this way, i had a really bad day yesterday every thing and anything was coming up, today i just didn't try to eat as i couldn't have another day of vomiting, i am not having fun and i don't know what to do. i would just love to feel comfortable and steadily lose weight, lets hope things will change soon. I will keep you informed.

Cheers Jane

Hi Jane,

You sound like you're having a terrible time. I hope you manage to get some help. Have you tried taking someone you trust with you to see your surgeon? Are you seeing your GP as well? Would your GP be prepared to discuss your experiences with your surgeon - might get a reaction? You could keep a journal for a week of your experiences and take it to the GP and surgeon with you. Just put down the facts, no frills and see if that will help you get a suitable response.

Let us know how you get along.

Cheers Jude

Ok here is a thought. Do you take any kind of time release capsules? I found out that they will not open and disolve if they do not get down to the bottom part of your stomach where the acid is. I was told this because i was sick and i was taking 2 a day, so i experimented and that is true they did not disolve in plain Water. Anyway i went to my doctor and told her you have got to get me on differant meds, ones i can crush. She did and i feel much better. If you think about this, the pills swell with water but do not disolve like they are made to do and there is no room in your pouch for food. One day i was only able to drink 6 oz of liquid in a 24 hour period. I knew this was not good, i lost a lot of weight at that time but it was so not worth it. Sorry to ramble but thought i would ask.

Ok feedback from my visit to the doctor, thank you for your support.

I am now able to eat again, my surgeon was good this time and i didn't have any problems with her, but that was because my body was in starvation mode, she took out all Fluid and there was 4mls in there, i thought it was only meant to be 2.2mls so idon't know where the rest came from, she replaced 1.5mls and now i feel as though i have no restrictions, it is so good to be able to eat again and not spend my time feeling so awful, i go back in about 3 - 4 weeks to get a top up and in that time giving my body a chance to recover, i still have NO energy and i am trying to replenish the fluids. So bottom line i was overfilled and there was no way things were going through.

my fear at the moment is the weight gain, but i just have to work through that and get back on top of things.

So thank you from a happier me

Cheers Jane

That's good news. I've never been overfilled but it sounds absolutely miserable.

Yes that's me in my avatar, lol.

Wow you look fantastic, i can't imagine i will ever get into a bikini, but you have done a great job, you must be so proud of yourself

Cheers Jane