Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP! 2+ yrs Post Op Gastric Sleeve. HELP!

I had my sleeve done October 1, 2014.. I lost 142lb.. this past winter put on 20lbs and I feel it and hate myself and can't stand this...

I need guidance to jump start myself back to losing... I don't know did my stomach stretch and is bigger now.. is that possible???

Help!! I don't know what to do

2 hours ago, lmaher718 said:

I don't know did my stomach stretch and is bigger now.. is that possible???

Yes, it is normal for a sleeved stomach to stretch over time. In fact, a sleeved stomach is expected to relax and stretch somewhat. For a more detailed explanation, watch some of Dr. Matthew Weiner's YouTube videos. The tight postsurgical restriction that enabled us to feel full after a few bites of food doesn't last forever.

Dr. Weiner states that, by three to five years out, most sleevers can eat two-thirds of a plate of food. Compare that with the three to five bites of food most of us ate at two months post-op.

I am more than two years out and can quantities that were impossible for me in the first couple of months. I can eat two large slices of pizza in one sitting, but opt not to. I can eat a 6-inch sub sandwich all at once, but opt not to. I can eat two small fast food cheeseburgers in one sitting, but opt not to.

The further out we are from surgery, the more crucial our food choices are. People regain their weight from slider foods such as pizza and crackers, not from dense Protein such as fish and steak. Even if your stomach has stretched to a 16-ounce capacity, you will not regain if your food choices are healthy.

The stomach size is not as important as the types of foods you stuff into it.

What does your daily food log look like?

It's crazy cause my food log does seem too bad
I have a yogurt and banana for breakfast
Salad for lunch cottage cheese for midday snack and dinner I have chicken thigh with veg

I still get that extreme full feeling.. like yesterday I took my son to Buffalo Wild Wings and I had salad with chicken and after about 6-8 bites I felt like I was going to puke
I get that full puke feeling a lot
I don't eat a lot
Not sure what's going on

Yes, it is normal for a sleeved stomach to stretch over time. In fact, a sleeved stomach is expected to relax and stretch somewhat. For a more detailed explanation, watch some of Dr. Matthew Weiner's YouTube videos. The tight postsurgical restriction that enabled us to feel full after a few bites of food doesn't last forever.
Dr. Weiner states that, by three to five years out, most sleevers can eat two-thirds of a plate of food. Compare that with the three to five bites of food most of us ate at two months post-op.
I am more than two years out and can quantities that were impossible for me in the first couple of months. I can eat two large slices of pizza in one sitting, but opt not to. I can eat a 6-inch sub sandwich all at once, but opt not to. I can eat two small fast food cheeseburgers in one sitting, but opt not to.
The further out we are from surgery, the more crucial our food choices are. People regain their weight from slider foods such as pizza and crackers, not from dense Protein such as fish and steak. Even if your stomach has stretched to a 16-ounce capacity, you will not regain if your food choices are healthy.
The stomach size is not as important as the types of foods you stuff into it.

Well said!

9 minutes ago, lmaher718 said:

I still get that extreme full feeling.. like yesterday I took my son to Buffalo Wild Wings and I had salad with chicken and after about 6-8 bites I felt like I was going to puke
I get that full puke feeling a lot
I don't eat a lot
Not sure what's going on

It most likely means you took 1-2 bites too many. If you're getting this feeling a lot then you may be challenging your sleeve/pouch a bit so try eating smaller bites, eat slower, chew really well, and stop before you feel like puking.

It most likely means you took 1-2 bites too many. If you're getting this feeling a lot then you may be challenging your sleeve/pouch a bit so try eating smaller bites, eat slower, chew really well, and stop before you feel like puking.

I will think of all that... thank you

I have the same problem! I had a gastric sleeve 6 years ago electively, meaning I didn't medically qualify, but I was overweight enough for the surgeon to agree to do it. I initially lost 45 lbs and kept it off, but it eventually all came back. I exercise regularly and eat healthy whole foods with wine being my big vice :) I recently enlisted the help of a personal trainer/nutritionist who tells me that I have damaged my metabolism by eating such low calories for years (I now average around 1200 - 1400 including wine calories) so that my body is in starvation mode. He has me trying to get 140g of protein/1750 calories a day which is a challenge while working out 3 - 4 x a week. I wonder if long term we are hurting our bodies by eating such a low calorie diet for prolonged period of time?

1 hour ago, cro5 said:

I wonder if long term we are hurting our bodies by eating such a low calorie diet for prolonged period of time?

I consume about 2000 calories a day with my sleeve. Then again, I started purposely increasing my caloric intake in a stepwise pattern at about 4 months post-op.

I didn't want to screw up my metabolic rate with a low-calorie diet, so I stopped dieting. If you think about it, most of us in the bariatric surgery community sucked at adhering to diets in the past, so why be on one?

I basically consume 100+ grams of Protein per day. The thermic effect of protein is high, so the body must expend a great deal of energy digesting it. This keeps the metabolism in high gear.

18 hours ago, lmaher718 said:

I had my sleeve done October 1, 2014.. I lost 142lb.. this past winter put on 20lbs and I feel it and hate myself and can't stand this...

I need guidance to jump start myself back to losing... I don't know did my stomach stretch and is bigger now.. is that possible???

Help!! I don't know what to do

You know what to do....eat right!

Maybe post a whole week of your food journal with Protein grams, etc, calories....