Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Nowzaradan guidelines-very confused!!!

I am 3 yrs post op and need help with some regain. I am trying very hard and have lost SOME but want to try and get all of it back off.

I was thinking about changing it up and trying the diet from Dr Now, since the folks on My 600 Lb Life seem to do pretty well.

However, when I went to the website I was kind of shocked. Their 'outreach' page lists nutritional information and advises women post op to consume 5-6 servings of grains a day INCLUDING RICE and 8-9 servings of FRUITS/veg...

okay, I'm confused.

I hear Dr Now tell people on the show to totally restrict carbs, fruits, etc. So why is the website so different??? Any input?

I would completely avoid reality tv advice in every way. Have you sat down with a nutritionist and discussed a plan that suits your specific needs?

I also recommend meeting with a nutritionist. Maybe call your surgeons office? I know my surgeon's office has a nutrition line that will call you back if you have questions. I would trust their advice over a reality show.

Most of them don't have good results though and their diets are terrible.

Eat dense Protein.

Yes everybody I have met with the RD at my surgeon's office. Dr Nowzaradan is also a surgeon, and his practice is a Center of Excellence. The person that wrote his post op diet is also a RD.

As a Nurse Practitioner, being a Center of Excellence holds a lot of clout with me. I'm not looking for reality show advice, I'm researching other surgery centers to see what their post op diets consist of.

Because I am already 3 years post op I have been at it for a long time, and just looking to change up my normal routine. I am just looking for some input from an actual patient who utilizes this surgery center.

My surgeon is well a surgeon, at a center of excellence, and the food program looks NOTHING like that food program posted on his website.

The food plan on his website is a generic food plan based off the food pyramid, AKA the food plan that has everyone in America fat.

http://www.drnowmd.com/hos/Pages/OutreachPages/Nutrition.html

That isn't a real bariatric post-op plan at all.

In the years that I have read here, people ask this question over and over about his post op plan. I have never seen anyone that used him ever respond. They do on another forum that I am on and if you do a google search you can find his patients on another forum.

The most hilarious thing about it, his patients are posting on forums asking what they should be eating just like 90% of other WLS patients. Did you know his immediate post-op plan is not to have Protein Shakes, and that people should be getting all their Protein from food? :lol: That isn't even possible.

He doesn't have a magic weight loss plan.

Just eat dense protein. Have your BMR/RMR tested so you know how many calories you are burning each day as a baseline.

ETA:

Amazon reviews of his book.

https://www.amazon.com/Last-Chance-Live-Younan-Nowzaradan/product-reviews/0997225203/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_paging_btm_2?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews&sortBy=recent&pageNumber=2

Absolutely no specifics as to the diet he recommends for his morbidly obese patients. He recommends 1200 cal per
day, spaced out, 300 cal per meal, but does not give any specifics as to what foods to use or include. Total waste of
time and money. I was so looking forward to this book but it missed the mark completely. You could get this same info
online, for free from the ADA Association (American Diabetic Association).

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

From his site:

Men should eat six or seven one-ounce servings of grains per day. Whole grains are an important source of Fiber and a healthy diet, so least three of the servings should be from whole grains. Be sure to read package labels to make sure the product is made from whole grains.

One serving is equal to one slice of bread, one cup of Breakfast Cereal, one-half cup of pasta, cooked rice, or cooked cereal.

So as long as I eat 3 - 3.5 cups of Pasta per day I will lose weight, huh? Suuuuuuure.

I don't mean to crap all over his stuff, but a generic "this is what you need" is complete horse-crap.

That isn't his real plan though at all. That is the most hilarious part about it. He has one of the strictest plans, even limiting veggies.

It is posted NO WHERE and his patients don't even follow it.

Could have a lot to with the sponsors of the reality show and/or hospital affiliation.

I am sure many of us have been up against the ADA guidelines from physicians forever and it has been changed and wrong for years.

If following low fat, carb laden processed food diets worked we would not be on this forum or needing surgery to correct metabolism. Remember all those nifty 100 calorie packs with low fat treats in the stores? Yeah that worked like a charm!!! I watched my HR Director go on the grain Protein diet get a huge gut, it was supposed to prevent another heart attack.....he was a normal sized person when he had his first heart attack.

Could have a lot to with the sponsors of the reality show and/or hospital affiliation.
I am sure many of us have been up against the ADA guidelines from physicians forever and it has been changed and wrong for years.
If following low fat, carb laden processed food diets worked we would not be on this forum or needing surgery to correct metabolism. Remember all those nifty 100 calorie packs with low fat treats in the stores? Yeah that worked like a charm!!! I watched my HR Director go on the grain Protein diet get a huge gut, it was supposed to prevent another heart attack.....he was a normal sized person when he had his first heart attack.

So true. Low fat low calorie is a miserable plan for me. Low carb has always helped me far more. I too had a cupboard full of low fat low cal Cookies etc. I lost very little weight doing that and I was always hungry.

Once your stomach is healed Liquid Protein is like Water, it provides zero fullness or satisfaction. Going on a liquid diet for a long term person is useless and not utilizing their tool in the way it is intended.

Eating dense Protein, meats, tofu, Beans whatever is always going to be better than liquids.

Full longer, more satisfying, takes more time to eat, and people enjoy chewing.

Once your stomach is healed liquid Protein is like Water, it provides zero fullness or satisfaction. Going on a liquid diet for a long term person is useless and not utilizing their tool in the way it is intended.
Eating dense protein, meats, tofu, Beans whatever is always going to be better than liquids.

Thank you, I really appreciate all the wonderful information and advice you give!

Once your stomach is healed liquid Protein is like Water, it provides zero fullness or satisfaction. Going on a liquid diet for a long term person is useless and not utilizing their tool in the way it is intended.
Eating dense protein, meats, tofu, Beans whatever is always going to be better than liquids.

You are one of the most helpful participants on this network. I am curious as to how you achieve 90 Gms of protein a day without a couple of Protein Shakes because it's difficult to eat the quantity of food Required to get that much amount of protein in 4 Meals a day.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

You are one of the most helpful participants on this network. I am curious as to how you achieve 90 Gms of Protein a day without a couple of Protein Shakes because it's difficult to eat the quantity of food Required to get that much amount of protein in 4 Meals a day.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

3 tins of tuna is 90g of protein...