Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do I start the process?

What's the first step? I've spoken to a center that does the surgeries. We've confirmed I'm eligible. The center has 3 months of meetings/classes (monthly) that take you through the process but t they can't fit me in until the end of August. The other option is to go through my PCP. I could be done with the 3 month required supervised diet/weigh in by then if I do it outside of the center. What does everyone do? I risk my PCP not submitting info correctly if I do it through him....? Thanks! (I'm 38.4 bmi, high bp, looking at RNY due to suspected GERD)

I started just by asking my pcp, she said I did qualify for it and referred me to a bariatric program. My insurance is through Kaiser, which is pretty much a one stop shop, they have basics pcps and different departments with every kind of specialty, I was lucky that Bariatric surgery was part of their offerings. From there I just followed their program and it went from there.

I did mine through my PCP and she referred me to a bariatric program as well.

The nurse coordinator at the bariatric center told me what I needed and my PCP sent them everything I had been doing with her.

My paperwork get submitted to my insurance sometime this week.

Is that the only bariatric game in town or in your insurance network? Most insurance requires your pcp to do a referral anyway. Check with insurance by logging into their web portal and ask specific questions via email, such as what type of record is required for supervised weight loss, how long and how many visits, do you follow a form or is it directed by the physician's program? Do you require an exercise log, psych eval, sleep study, group sessions, etc. Also the surgeon can get updates from the pcp, coordinate with his office for that. Go ahead and signup w the surgeon, keep checking for cancellations on attending - you might tell them you can fill a cancellation.

Are there other seminars/groups in the area?

My actual insurance has no qualified bariatric surgeons within 60 miles and I can go out of network. Theirs is over 2.5 hours away and they were rude on the phone, laughed at my questions, and said it would take a year....pffft

I went with the local surgeon's 6 month program after I got insurance approval for out of network.

Can you ask the Bariatric center to give you a specific instructions on what needs to be included in the documentation for the supervised diet. If you take those instructions to your PCP that should help ensure you have the documentation required. Might as well get a jump start instead of waiting for August.

Good Luck.