Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My First Step

Hello everyone, Im so happy I found this Forum! Its great to know there are so many out there just like me. I have my very First Appointment this coming Friday 1/7/05 Im driving about 400 miles to get this. I had a few simple questions, but first if you dont mind I will tell you a little about myself, since I might be sticking around for awhile! Im 28, married (6yrs) and I have no children. Perfect time in my life to get this done. I have struggled with my weight all my life, as most of you probably have too. I have been on so many diets its not funny.... I even went as far as excersing 8 hours a day eating nothing, i didnt get very far with that haha. I married at 230lbs, now a high of 320lbs Im 5'1" shorttie hehe. I think im braking really... 6months ago i join an excerise program called Curves I was going everyday for 30mins a day, it was great i lost 18lbs I was so happy, then I had to quit, my foot was starting hurt and I only thought it was from a prior surgery nope I had plantar fascias. I was no longer able to excerise... another good deed down the drain. But what hit me the most, that I just knew I had to do something and quick was, one day I was in class my Chem class and this guy asked me if I felt I was disabled. Hmmmm well i thought about that long and hard. He said other things that hurt me too but i wont get into it. I thought, am I disabled? wow if im not now then I will be soon. So here I am. My insurence pays 90% of my costs everything im so excited... And I hope that I can make Long Time Friendships on here, the only friend I have right now is my husband and I have lots of family support.

Now after you all know me :) I have had a few questions... with the surgery, its not the "what I can eat" and "what I cant eat" its what I can drink and cant drink. Oh I do love my Coke.... Diet, Reg. dont matter I love it... They say you cant have Carbonated drinks... So I guess I need to cut that... or is it a matter of how it works for me type deal, like everything else i have been reading. Also being a youngin still with no kids, hubby and I like to go out to my sisters and play pool and have drinks... I dont drink a lot but I do like to drink... yes I addmit hehe Im not a big Water drinker which i know i should be. I love to eat and chew Ice.. hubby bought me a ice shaver machine and i will eat ice all day. So I dont know if that counts.. a little maybe? So can you give me your knowledge on Drinks!!

Thank You so Much.... and I look forward to talking with you all~~

Welcome to the board!!! We hope you stay a while....As far as the carbonated drinks...my Dr's office told me that they could stretch the pouch...like when you put coke in a sippie cup it spews out the top; that is what it would be like in your stomach....I think that is one of the rules that all the Dr's agree on. I could be wrong. I have had frozen alcoholic drinks...margaritas and stuff like that and they haven't bothered me...I think there are some of us that have the drinks around here..

Good Luck and welcome!!!!!!!!!!!

Kelly,

Thank you, for that info. I know I have a long road ahead of me. So no Cokes or Beer hehehe I want to start working on it now, so when I do get the surgery I will not have a problem with craving. Thanks again!

I used to love beer, but now I have a new favorite drink that is non carbonated:

pineapple juice and coconut rum. It is the best combo ever. I still drink cokes like a bad bandster they don't give me any trouble but I am sure I won't lose weight while drinking them. I am also not very restricted, so I am sure that is why they don't bother me. I need to cut carbonation out all together...That will be my new resolution for the year. Congrats on your surgery date and good luck with everything. You found an awesome place for friends and answers!

Hi, TrishaS, best of luck to you on your search for better health! You're very wise to head off any health problems now. Because sooner or later you will start having different problems...arthritis (joints), high blood pressure, diabetes, asthma, gastric reflux, depression, etc. and just being tired all the time. I've sipped diet cokes a few times since banding, but the carbonation gave me a gassy, indigeestion feeling. Just not pleasant at all. I've had a few glasses of wine since banding, no problems. But they are "empty calories". Can anything be done to fix your foot? Can you use a stationery bike without hurting your foot? Yes, ice would count as drinking Water. How about Crystal Light or Propel Fitness Water for a little variety? This is a great forum for support and encouragement. I've come to think of this as my "Bandster Family". Hope to get to know you better.

I've had plantar fascitis in the past also. One shot of cortisone seemed to have held it off for several years now. That is normally a condition that flares and goes away, seems like you could continue your exercise on the good days?? So far, I've found that regular exercise actually seems to help most of the old aches and pains I used to have. I have systemic lupus also, but since being banded and becoming more active and healthy, I haven't had one complaint with either/any of these old problems. Thank goodness! It just takes time and determination. You can do it! Welcome!!

Kelllli

whit yo meen som of ushav dinks. I neber toish the stuf.

Well it was New Years Eve last nite LOL

TrishS...Welcome onboard here. I though that giving up Diet Coke would permanent damage to my system. Well it didn't but what it did do was put me thru 3 days of severe headaches as I came of that damned Caffine. I also enjoyed a good cold beer on occassion. Normal picked the Top of each hour as my occassion. Since I was banded I have not tried any carbonated beverages with the exception of a beer when I was in Vegas a few weeks ago. Got half of it down and was not enjoying the feeling so I didn't finish it.

have found many healthy alternatives to drinks. I am buying stock in Gaterades's Propel Waters. LOL Drink 3 to 4 of these a day. Also fruit 2o are excellent.

Good luck with your journey and keep us posted...

Oh, ouch. Plantar fasciitis. Hurts like a sonofagun, doesn't it? I was diagnosed with it awhile back. The only thing I found that helps is ice (I froze soda bottles full of Water -- they fit nicely under my instep when I'm sitting at my computer). Stretching also helps a little, especially first thing when I wake up, before my feet hit the floor for the first time (my worst time). But the biggest thing will be weight loss, and so it's just one of the many reasons for me to get the lap band this year.

Welcome to forum, Trish. I'm afraid I can't offer any insight on what it's like to be banded, but like you I'm on the process of getting the ball rolling to have the surgery.

Ohhhh how your joints will thank you! I don't TROD slowly up the stairs anymore... I bound minus all of the pain I used to have. Giving up my addiction to Diet Coke didn't turn out to be that bad... BUT... there are still times when I see a frosty glass of beer and wish I could have a sip or two! There is a definite learning curve after being banded... but now I really don't feel that different... it's almost as if I've always been banded. I am not working with my band very well right now... soooo... the pounds are not going off... but it is there waiting for me when I am ready to get back on the band wagon! Good luck with everything!

Darcy

Welcome Trish, like Marie, I consider this my extended family as well. Although, I'm still fairly new, I've enjoyed this site very much. I use to have Diet Coke running through my veins, but one day just switched to bottled Water and only since I've been banded have I had a hankering for one. I have vodka/oj every now and again, I keep adding oj to make 1 last longer. Didn't get intoxicated on just 1, (darn).

Good Luck

Thank you all for the warm welcome!!!! everyday that passes i get more and more excited about seeing my Dr. on the 7th. I dont think I will miss cokes all that much well i hope I dont... I started this morning saying i wont have one to teach myself I cant live without them... Beer on the other hand will be hard mostly on the weekends when I did drink hehe I feel I will have a lot of support here. and belive me I will need it!!!! Im not all that strong of a person, but I need so badly to get rid of my pains I want for once to sleep through the night without back pain, numbness of leg is getting so bad I want to cry and when i come out of my Apt i look around and make sure no one is there so i can go down the stairs without anyone looking at me. I have my Plantar fasciitis under control.. it took 2 shoots, and 4 weeks of theropy... but every so offten it hurts in the mornings. I WANT TO BE NORMAL again. My family is so happy im doing this. Thanks again everyone!! Your Awesome!!!!