Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 15th, 2017 Sleevers Check in Here!!!

I cry when someone gets a golden buzzer. I missed it last night, but I'm sure I'd be right with you over the story.

Yay for burning fat! 😊

Hey y'all, been busy. TRhis is off wls topic but I'm reading a book called The Total Money Makeover. Talk about convicting. Lol. My husband and I are going strictly cash again. So we cut up all our credit cards last night. 😁 Was it scary? Nope. Was it freeing? Absolutely!!! Why we even bothered to bring them back in to our lives, well....this author gets down to the nitty gritty of habits and lies that we were led to believe. Anyway, I'm glad about it.

Now on to wls, my fat feels more jelly like. Not as dense anymore. Maybe it's more skin than fat now. ??? Just feels weird, but good. I didn't think I would struggle with this, since being overweight for less than a decade, but sometimes I just don't see the change. I have to snap out of it and remind myself it's happening. So, maybe I should start listing nsv's on a paper and post it somewhere as a constant reminder. I think in a couple of months, it'll be easier for me to accept it.

My answer is no, I wouldn't. I'm going based on my past emotional eating experiences, the things we were taught growing up, and what my team preaches.
Emotional eating: you eat when not hungry for the most part. ....BAD
Was taught: you have to eat Breakfast or all that's on your plate, even when you're not hungry? ....BAD.
Team: eat only when hungry....GOOD
Now, when we tend to eat just because it's breakfast, lunch, or dinner times and when we're trying to reach goals, I think it sets us up to consume more than what our bodies are asking for. Eventually we'll get to a year out and practicing that we might become dependent on overeating and gaining some weight back. I honestly believe that so many who gain weight back are 1) eating wrong foods most likely or 2) overeating still to reach goals perhaps????
Now, we're in the phases that we really can't screw up now, so that's awesome and good. And in this time, we do need to learn to listen to our bodies and learn to know when it's true hunger or not and condition ourselves to not add more than what our body is requiring for the time. When we're 3, 6, 9, and 12 months out, we can surely hit our goals a bit easier than now.
My doc gave me a goal of 65-80g Protein. For what I had today, I probably had about 60, maybe more or less. But I know one thing my doctor preached at my first post op appt, if you don't hit it, that's ok. You just may not be hungry yet. It might take days to weeks before you are. So until then, don't eat when you're not hungry.

I'm glad you posted this. I'm 3 weeks post op today and not very hungry yet but my nut told me I need to focus on meals and teaching my protein goal. Sometimes I'm taking nausea meds just to try to get something more in between meals. I certainly don't want my hair to fall out or lose muscle but I'm not a big meat eater, I was even vegetarian for a few years and an getting real sick of meat, the Protein Shakes seem too "milky". IDK. I think I just need a little more time to adjust. I'm afraid that whenI go for 6 wk appt she's going to be upset that I didn't meet my goals. I don't think I met these protein and fluid goals before surgery though either.

Sent from my SM-N920T using BariatricPal mobile app

Hey y'all, been busy. TRhis is off wls topic but I'm reading a book called The Total Money Makeover. Talk about convicting. Lol. My husband and I are going strictly cash again. So we cut up all our credit cards last night. [emoji16] Was it scary? Nope. Was it freeing? Absolutely!!! Why we even bothered to bring them back in to our lives, well....this author gets down to the nitty gritty of habits and lies that we were led to believe. Anyway, I'm glad about it.
Now on to wls, my fat feels more jelly like. Not as dense anymore. Maybe it's more skin than fat now. ??? Just feels weird, but good. I didn't think I would struggle with this, since being overweight for less than a decade, but sometimes I just don't see the change. I have to snap out of it and remind myself it's happening. So, maybe I should start listing nsv's on a paper and post it somewhere as a constant reminder. I think in a couple of months, it'll be easier for me to accept it.

I'm going to check out that book. We just did the same thing cancelled all credit cards but when I go to a store that I had a card at I feel this little sadness that I can't just use my card. But I would really over spend when I had them. Maybe this book will help me cope.

1 hour ago, Newme17 said:

Hey y'all, been busy. TRhis is off wls topic but I'm reading a book called The Total Money Makeover. Talk about convicting. Lol. My husband and I are going strictly cash again. So we cut up all our credit cards last night. 😁 Was it scary? Nope. Was it freeing? Absolutely!!! Why we even bothered to bring them back in to our lives, well....this author gets down to the nitty gritty of habits and lies that we were led to believe. Anyway, I'm glad about it.

I have that book and my dh and I apply some of his principles, but I admit to not following 100%. I use my credit cards for the rewards. I never carry balances so I never pay interest. I use them like a debit card for purchases I was going to make anyway. I pay the balance in full every month. I made $1500 in rewards last year. I am very disciplined though so I don't overspend.

Congrats on cutting yours up. I just couldn't do it. Anything you can do to improve your finances is a win. I keep close to 2 months of expenses in our checking account so we live off of last months income. This allows me to put all of our bills on auto pay which makes life so simple. That one thing reduced my stress level so much.

I am noticing a change in my body composition also. My upper abdomen fat is less, and my lower is more jiggly. Is that even a word??? One thing that I have to be thankful for ... all of my weight was in the middle, so my arms and thighs are great.

Thank you for the reassurance that I'm on the right path. With both my husband's and my income we should be able to knock everything out between 12-24 months. The second step is going to be the most challenging. We're always good having money in the bank, but dropping it down to the $1000 emergency fund, is kind of scary. But I have faith we'll be fine. So, I did declare this year to be the new me, I guess that all includes financially fit too!! 😊

8 hours ago, hmills653 said:

I'm glad you posted this. I'm 3 weeks post op today and not very hungry yet but my nut told me I need to focus on meals and teaching my Protein goal. Sometimes I'm taking nausea meds just to try to get something more in between meals. I certainly don't want my hair to fall out or lose muscle but I'm not a big meat eater, I was even vegetarian for a few years and an getting real sick of meat, the Protein Shakes seem too "milky". IDK. I think I just need a little more time to adjust. I'm afraid that whenI go for 6 wk appt she's going to be upset that I didn't meet my goals. I don't think I met these protein and fluid goals before surgery though either.

I'm not a big meat eater either. But I do like the occasional chicken and shrimp. I prefer to eat plant based protein. It even now I still don't get much food in. I am trying to log what I eat to see what I'm getting in a day. Guess it takes practice. But anyhow, your nut shouldn't be upset at all but rather encourage and steer you in the directions that fit you.

Have you tried the Isopure Protein Drinks to up your protein intake? Not milky at all.

8 hours ago, hmills653 said:

I'm going to check out that book. We just did the same thing cancelled all credit cards but when I go to a store that I had a card at I feel this little sadness that I can't just use my card. But I would really over spend when I had them. Maybe this book will help me cope.

I just downloaded a copy from online. Not even sure how I came across it. But I think I'd rather have an actual book to write my notes and such in. So I'm gonna hit the half price bookstore this week.

You should! To me it makes complete sense. I actually had conviction about the way I handled money. My goal has always been to not end up like my parents (not knowing how to handle it) and I saw myself going down the same path. This goes hand in hand with being overweight too. Am not going to end up like my mom, with so many problems that stemmed from her weight! So anyway, I'm learning. I'm starting step 1. Be done with that this weekend. Step 2, will take a while, but I'm determined. 😊

Ugh...despite the energy I have on this VERY HOT day, (currently 92 degrees and rising), my throat feels like its swelling up a little. I am behind on my Water intake though. I didn't do very good yesterday (my fault for not using my Hidrate bottle/reminders), so I'm trying to make up for today. I'm busy.....BUT, we're to get rain/thunderstorms starting Sat....so I'm pretty sure allergies are playing a part too. My daughter and I were both sneezing away this morning. Gonna start the allergy meds for her now. I don't know if I can take them or not...guess I'll call the doc and see.

I'm gonna do some Just Dance again tonight with my kiddos. I love seeing my 4 and 7 year old dance...it's really cute. My 12 year old likes to, but she just wasn't blessed with coordination. (But we don't tell her that). I told my husband that didn't come from me (she's my step), so.......LOL

Then I'll be going grocery shopping tonight. It's easy to shop for me...eating so little, but I still make regular meals. Tonight are chicken tacos with verde sauce. I'll be eating it minus the tortilla. Tomorrow will be lentil salad with carrots and cilantro. I'll do my best to remember to take pics!!!!! I'm slacking....LOL

21 hours ago, Newme17 said:

Thank you for the reassurance that I'm on the right path. With both my husband's and my income we should be able to knock everything out between 12-24 months. The second step is going to be the most challenging. We're always good having money in the bank, but dropping it down to the $1000 emergency fund, is kind of scary. But I have faith we'll be fine. So, I did declare this year to be the new me, I guess that all includes financially fit too!! 😊

It is very freeing to pay off debt. We paid off everything except for our mortgage and my student loan 5 years ago. We save up for almost all of our major purchases. We did have to take out a 7 year loan for our new roof. We have emergency funds but not the $12000 it cost us. We plan on paying it off within 5 years if everything goes right.

When you pay everyone off your credit score goes very high. That is one of the reasons I still have a few credit cards. You get the best rewards when you have a 800 or more credit score 😄. It is safer to pay for things with a credit card also. I never use my debt card anymore because to many hackers out there and I don't want them getting access to our checking account.

Good for you on making this year the year for change😊.

25 minutes ago, Newme17 said:

Ugh...despite the energy I have on this VERY HOT day, (currently 92 degrees and rising), my throat feels like its swelling up a little. I am behind on my Water intake though. I didn't do very good yesterday (my fault for not using my Hidrate bottle/reminders), so I'm trying to make up for today. I'm busy.....BUT, we're to get rain/thunderstorms starting Sat....so I'm pretty sure allergies are playing a part too. My daughter and I were both sneezing away this morning. Gonna start the allergy meds for her now. I don't know if I can take them or not...guess I'll call the doc and see.

I'm gonna do some Just Dance again tonight with my kiddos. I love seeing my 4 and 7 year old dance...it's really cute. My 12 year old likes to, but she just wasn't blessed with coordination. (But we don't tell her that). I told my husband that didn't come from me (she's my step), so.......LOL

Then I'll be going grocery shopping tonight. It's easy to shop for me...eating so little, but I still make regular meals. Tonight are chicken tacos with verde sauce. I'll be eating it minus the tortilla. Tomorrow will be lentil salad with carrots and cilantro. I'll do my best to remember to take pics!!!!! I'm slacking....LOL

I had a work out at work today in this heat..arg. I had to cut down a ton of maple sticks to feed the beetles and my arms are sore from reaching up with the loppers. I just got home and I can't decide if I should get on the elliptical or just go get a shower and start dinner?

I like what is on your menu for dinner tonight. Can i come ? ..lol I took some chicken breasts out so I think I will make them Parmesan crusted with a lemon butter sauce on the side. No bread crumbs on mine. I think I will make broccoli to go with it.

Have fun dancing tonight. I guess I am gonna go ahead and get my workout in before I talk myself out of it.

21 hours ago, Newme17 said:

I just downloaded a copy from online. Not even sure how I came across it. But I think I'd rather have an actual book to write my notes and such in. So I'm gonna hit the half price bookstore this week.

You should! To me it makes complete sense. I actually had conviction about the way I handled money. My goal has always been to not end up like my parents (not knowing how to handle it) and I saw myself going down the same path. This goes hand in hand with being overweight too. Am not going to end up like my mom, with so many problems that stemmed from her weight! So anyway, I'm learning. I'm starting step 1. Be done with that this weekend. Step 2, will take a while, but I'm determined. 😊

My parents were the same way. My mom never had any savings. I know she was a single parent and money was right, but even when she had a windfall for any reason she would blow through it and never have any when an emergency came up. My dh and I took care of her the last 12 years of her life because there was no way her little SS check was enough.

I think this is a great path you are on @Newme17.

2 hours ago, Apple1 said:

I never use my debt card anymore because to many hackers out there and I don't want them getting access to our checking account.

I've had that happen before too. It was awful and we changed banks. The card I use now I use as credit and it has the security chip now. So extra safety features. Haven't had an incident since, been about six years now.

1 hour ago, Apple1 said:

I guess I am gonna go ahead and get my workout in before I talk myself out of it.

Did you do your workout? I'm currently waiting for my food to digest to dance. Lol

1 hour ago, Apple1 said:

I think this is a great path you are on @Newme17.

THANK YOU!!!! I'm so excited!!! My husband is on board too, so I'm even more excited. I wouldn't do it if he wasn't, cause it wouldn't work without the both of us. He also grew up with a single mom, not ever having the funds either. So, we both are making the change, for ourselves and our children's children. 😉 A better legacy.