Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self pay so moving fast

Hi Kristin,

you are not alone at all in everything you are feeling. I have debated myself since making the decision. I am 48 and have been married for 30 yrs. If I have to self pay I will but for now trying the insurance route. If I have to self pay I am worried that I will be wasting our money. My husband is so 100% behind me that I keep asking him if it is okay...I think he might be getting irratated because I just can't help wondering that same things...Will I lose weight, will I exercise, what will keep me from being one of the ones that wind up "eating around the band" and gaining weight?????

I have twin granddaughters that are 10 months old. And I want to be around to see them grow.

I know I am ready and that I can do this, but my head just keeps telling me different!! I am working through that by being on here and knowing that I am not alone in all this...:whoo:

Good luck all and WE CAN DO THIS!!

Hi Goldie:

You are so right WE CAN DO THIS and we will succeed!!! Owe wow twins...I can't imagine. We had our second grandson one year ago and he was 7 1/2 weeks early and was only in the hospital an additinal 5 days after being born.

You would never know to look at him now that he was premature, and I want to be around 4 them as well. My husband is also supportive and very much in favor of my surgery he is tired of my weight being an issue in our lives. He has no weight issues he is 6'5 and 220 pounds and is in the military full time.

I have on daughter who just turned 27 and whom I love with all my heart. She is also supportive, she is herself obese. After 2 children she is determined to follow my examply and lose her weight.

We lost our 4 1/2 year old son Adam in 1988 to cancer and I began putting on the weight after that. It has gotten to it's worse point with me weighing the most I have ever weighed in my life. I decided enough is enough. I have lost and gained and lost and gained for 25 years and I am tired of it.

Just hang in there we will get through it all together!!

Hugz,

Kristin

Hi Kristin, I'm having my surgery on Nov. 5th. I am 50 years old and also have grandchildren. Well, one on the way - December baby girl! My other grandchild is a 9 year old boy whom I just love to pieces. Like you I want to be around to watch them grow up, get married and such.

I have my pre-op testing on the 30th of this month. I have no idea as to what they'll be doing so I can't help you there. Let me know how it goes with you though, okay? Good luck to you my fellow November banster and hopefully we'll be able to talk with one another as the time gets closer! Take care, Dianne

Hi again Kristin, I just read that you lost a 4 1/2 year old son. I too lost a daughter (Nichol) back in 1996. She was 19. A car accident/no alchohol involvement though. She just over corrected. She would have been 30 this past June. I miss her very much. :-( My other daughter/the one having a little girl in December is also 27 like your daughter. I love her with all of my heart too. She is my only child now. So we have allot in common my friend.

We can do this band thing! Let's make it happen!! Dianne

Hi Diane:

Sounds like we do have alot incommon. My daughter's name is Nichole:) imagine that. I am glad I found someone going through it with me that is close to my age.....I feel sometimes like I am too old to be doing this, but then I just slap myself and remind me that I am nto OLD...LOL

Your daughter Nichol and my son Adam are watching over us in this process I know. He would be my biggest supporter I do believe.

I too would love to chat sometime, take care and I will let you know how tomorrow's pre-op testing goes. I am dreading it. LOL

Isn't that funny? We even spelled their names similar. How was the pre-op physical? Tell, tell... :-) Hopefully it was much easier then you anticipated. talk to you soon Kristin, Dianne

Hi Dianne:

It sucked...LOL I still feel as if I want to vomit. The Barium is not fun. They found a small hiatal hernia and reflux.

I am very glad to have it done.

Now it is just hurry and wait some more.

Yes I found it interesting that we spelled their names so similary.

Hugz,

Kristin

I wonder if I have to have that done too? What are they going to do about the reflux and hernia? anything prior to surgery? will having the lapband in irratate the reflux? What did they say about that? all these questions. haha. sorry. Dianne

Hi Dianne:

I was told by the nurse at my surgeons office that they will repair the hernia when they place the band. I already am being treated for GERD so I do not think it was a surprise that I have the reflux either.......Most overweight people have it I have been told. Funny part is that I do not have the symptoms of it....LOL

I am getting nervous and very anxious. I did really good this week at work on my self imposed liquid diet....LOL

Dreading the 4th when the Clear liquids begin.

How you doing? When is your surgery scheduled again? Have you had your preop testing yet?

Hi, all! I am also a self-pay, and I am having surgery November 1st. Like everyone else, I'm super nervous but also super excited.

I asked my surgeon about pre-op liquid diets. He doesn't require one, but I asked him why other doctors did. He said it helps reduce the size of your liver (which is usually enlarged) and it is harder to perform the surgery because they have to lift up your liver to get under it to your stomach. He says, in his opinion, that three days of liquid diet is enough to redeuce it, but some doctors require longer to make sure their patients are committed to the new lifestyle changes.

So, I've decided to put myself on a four day liquid diet before surgery. It feels good to be doing something to prepare for this surgery.

What else are you guys doing to prepare?

Rhea (pronounced ray-ah)

Well the second week of my self imposed liquid diet. I am having Protein shakes for Breakfast and lunch and then light dinner.

Drinking crystal light and Water. It has not been that bad, but I am really looking forward to the dinners. So I think the all clear liquid is not going to be any fun at all. LOL

Although I get to eat as much of the Clear Liquids as I want.

Time will tell I start that on Sunday.

I see the surgeon on Thursday my last time before surgery. Will find out what he thinks about all of my preop testing and the Hiatal hernia and the reflux.

Almost there, and then the real journey begins.......and the road to recovery.

Good Luck everyone who is having surgery on Thursday you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugz,

I am not self pay but am having surgery Nov 9th. I am nervous about alot of things, dying is one of them. But I know that if I don't do this I will die from the weight.

I am nervous about the pre-op testing tomorrow. I hate upper GI's have had one before and it was awful. So I am stressed about that. I was wondering if anyone has had their testing yet and if they had to get the Upper GI and how was it? Be Honest please...LOL

I am anxious to get on with it, I have been waiting on the process since May, my surgeon and insurance require you go through an accrediated program and so I had to go to classes and psych eval and nutrition class and they make you wait and pretty much do a class a month.

I know it is a for life decsison and they want you to be sure you know what you are getting yourself into. I began working out at a new health club my DH and I joined then end of August. I have been walking in the pool 5 2 6 nights a week. Then WHAM I developed a rash all over my body. After two weeks of prednisone my Primary care doc thought it was due to the Chlorine in the pool, because it was going away and then I got back in the Water and it got worse. I had begun Water Aerobics class twice a week. I am so bummed because he banned me from the pool til after my surgery:)

I am glad that I am working up until the day of, because it helps to occupy my mind.

I am 45 been married for nearly 28 years and have 2 grandsons one is 4 and one just turned a year old. I want to be alive and watch them grow up and be able to play with them without getting winded, I want them to actually have a lap to sit on...LOL I want to feel alive again, because I haven't for a very long time.

I don't think you are ever to old for this surgery, it can take years off your death....by losing the excess weight........in turn adding years to our lives.....:(.

I am glad that I found this place and plan on spending my recoop time here on line. I hate daytime TV...LOL

Kristin:clap2:

I get myself all wrapped up around the axel about surgery myself. Let's face it, who wants to go thru it? From everything I've read, it's a breeze. It is a very low risk surgery and only takes about 25 minuetes! That's less time than your favorite sitcom. It'll take a full hour with prep time. But the actual surgery only 25 minuetes! That's amazing. Being overweight has more health risk than the surgery. I don't know about you, but I want to alleviate all those health problems and aches and pains that I have now and start living again!

You won't die during surgery! No worries. Just focus on the moment you wake from surgery and your exciting future!

Bobbi,

Well, it looks like tomorrow is the BIG day! My prayers are with you, and keep us posted!:clap2:

Thanks for all your prayers! I am going out today to get final stuff. I am more excited than the nervous I expected. We will see tomorrow morning how nervous I really am.