Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve, Cholecystitis, Regret!

So I am 14 days post op sleeve, 8 days post op gallbladder removal and still find myself asking why?

My preop diet was 2 weeks Protein Shakes, broth, Clear Liquids, sf Jello, cicles,( had big issues all my life with artificial sweetners and again since these are highly encouraged items for fillers) Was able to add some fresh fruit to shakes which I did most often as I wanted to chew something. No major issues or problems. Was sleeved on 04/18/2017. Unremarkable surgery, went home the next evening. First four days not too bad, had to force fluids more than I thought but did ok. Fifth day a different story! Right sided pain, low fever.... trip to ER, +test, +ultra sound, +CT = trip to surgery = Gallbladder removal. During surgery to remove gallbladder, Spill of gallbladder contents, external drain in place to remove infection, added day in hospital.

Home again.

Today is pureed diet start! Suppose to be a good thing, and it was. Had grilled pork tenderloin, baked potato, broccoli and cheese! PUREED, 1/4 cup!

Walking daily - quarter to half a mile.

Not tolerating the bariatric version of Vitamins or Calcium so taking Flinstones.

Still only have five people who know I had surgery (as I'm not blessed with a supportive extended family) but proud of the ones I do have

The scale shows about 22 pounds lost from my preop appt with the surgeon 29 March until 30 April. Its something but I guess I am expecting or desiring the big numbers.

I haven't found a Protein item I can tolerate since preop. Any suggestions? I know that protein comes once you can eat again but I wonder if that's part of my sluggish feeling?

I am at 4 -5: 1/4 cup feedings, but never feel full. I am not tolerating SF items still or fake sweeteners get a bloated feeling, very nauseous and upset bowels so avoiding those items at all cost. Have tried the Whole Earth brand stevia/monk fruit blend if absolutely needing a sweetener.

My diet can be anything pureed or in pureed form... meat, eggs, casseroles, pastas, etc... says my guide book.

I just can't help that I keep wondering why did I do this? was is worth it? what will the end be like? Is there an end? I just read more blogs tonight about people who have met their goal weight but aren't happy? If anyone can tell me this is just a phase, once more weight is lost, once I can swallow pills again, or meet small milestones it changes please do! Right now I just feel like a person with seven new incision decorations who is hungry, grumpy, and not any better for the two week war I've been part of!

I was sleeved 4/18 as well. Very proud of you for being so transparent. I will say this journey is anything but easy but the great thing is that if you trust the process it will all be worth it. I had initial regret because I had no pain after surgery and felt normal so I felt like I did all this and now I can't eat and I wasn't happy but not at two weeks post op and on soft foods I am feeling good. It gets better xoxo

Sorry to hear about the gallbladder.... definitely added insult to injury!

This surgery creates a major emotional rollercoaster in most people. Sounds like you are partying in car 9.

You will feel full when adding more solid meats to your diet. But if it is a gnawing type hunger, you might need more antacids.

Did you have discussions with people prior to surgery about why you wanted the procedure? Maybe remembering those talks will help you now.

The weight loss will come, but it isn't instant. The body has a ton of work to do carefully disassembling every cell. There is a mile of blood vessels in every pound of fat. Those have to get broken down as well.

You are going to do great!

Try broth with unflavored Protein Powder. You might have to try a few unflavored Protein powders to find one you like.

You can swallow puree why can't you swallow pills? Bariatric pills and chewable are nasty if you can't stand fake sweeteners you don't be able to take them. Just take a normal high quality Vitamin.

Are you talking a PPI and antacid? You should be. You should not be hungry.

Try pure stevia like the Stevita brand, in liquid form. It is hard to find but very high quality and pure stevia. Those blends are trash, don't use them.

Life long term postop for me is very normal. Post 6 months I didn't really feel like a WLS patient, I really don't now.

Give up that baked potatoe in your puree, it has no nutritional value and your focus should be on protein.

You need to exceed your protein goals everyday if you want to heal and you need to take your Vitamins. The are not optional things they are required.

I have exceeded my personal goal and I am getting close to my stretch goal. I'm not unhappy about my weight loss. I have different problems that no one really prepared me for but they are good problems. I'm sick of buying new clothes, it has killed my love of shopping and I can't get attached to anything I own. All my other problems that I had before surgery were not solved because I had surgery. I still pick emotionally unavailable men. I still have issues with my business. My parents still suck. A lot of people blame everything wrong in their life on being fat, when thin people have the save problems. Those people are always going to be unhappy.

People that are severe food addicts especially the cry baby carb addicts, they are miserable post-op. They can't binge and eat all the trash peasant food they love and they whine about it all the time. Those people are bad candidates for surgery and should have never had it. They are going to be miserable forever because they feel deprived like they are on a diet forever. That is a terrible way to live. I ignore those people, they are in a prison of their own making.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

You've lots 22 lbs in a month! That is fantastic! You should be pleased and proud of your progress!

With the additional surgery, it's bound to take you longer to start feeling yourself again. You've had a rough go of it, but it's going to getting better from here on out. Honestly, at 6 weeks out, I feel completely back to normal - except I can't eat very much lol

As for Protein replacements, I agree they get old fast! I got to a point where the thought of drinking them made me feel sick. However, your protein intake is so incredibly important! How are you doing on your protein targets? (and Fluid for that matter, dehydration will make you feel terrible too). If you aren't reaching them, are you at least getting closer every day? Aim for progress. When I quit the protein powders, I had to be extra diligent about what I chose to eat. Literally every single bit needs to be as nutritious as possible. Cottage cheese and greek yogurt were my go-to Snacks. Moist scrambled egg, tuna salad, avocado (for the good fats) made up most meals. Refried Beans with a bit of melted cheese were nice.

Hang in there. It gets better :)

Edited by 1poundatatime

Hi have you tryed ricotta cheese for Protein working great for me no nausea at all. Your doing great. Try to vent frustrations only with understanding people that seems to help me ! Your going to get those big numbers !!!

I feel you!

I had surgery 4/18 and haven't had all the exhausting additional medical issues you have had, and have good emotional support, and still feel exhausted at times, feelings of hunger, feelings of sadness from loss of food pleasure and food sociability, and intense irritability with the limited food choices that are presently before me. I think you need to give yourself credit for having been through the medical wringer and persisting. I totally get the food issues you are talking about - I HATE artificial flavors, I HATE most fake sweeteners, etc. I've gone with unflavored Protein powders and liquid Stevia - I'll make myself a Protein Drink with skim milk, unsweetened cocoa and a couple of drops of stevia. I have found that when I've been diligent about having two Protein Drinks a day with skim milk - for a total of 58 grams of protein from that alone - my fatigue has felt much better. But my physician's assistant said it can take up to three weeks, and you have to factor in the additional surgery, etc. I think doubt and self-reflection are part of this journey - sometimes when it gets overwhelming, it's easier to just break it down and think about what you have to do for this afternoon, this evening, etc. Hang in there, I have faith it will get better!

Sorry to hear you've had some health issues and having a hard time. But how awesome that you lost 22 pounds in a month?! When was the last time you can say that?!! For nausea, my nurses told me sniff a alcohol wipe. It will make you feel better instantly. I mixed New Whey Protein with Isopure and lots of ice and just kept sipping throughout the day. At one point I had a timer set. During puréed foods I had a lot of blended fish and ricotta cheese. Amazon sells unflavored protein powder you can shake into your blender to add some more protein.
I know how you feel about the regret and was it worth it. I remember very vividly my first few days after surgery thinking ... what did I do? Was this worth it? Could I have tried one more diet? And the answer a year later and 146 pounds lost is yes!! I am two weeks away from my 1 year anniversary and how I feel, how active I am now, all worth it.
You are doing awesome!! I wasn't walking as much as you after surgery. Keep your head up, every morning say it is only going to get better :-).!! Feel better!!

Oh goodness sorry you've had such a rough beginning to your recovery!!

I was also sleeved on 4/18. I step on the scale once in awhile, but I'm trying not to focus on it. It really is a rough road both physically and emotionally. People (myself included) think laparoscopic?!?! I got this, no sweat! I'm a nurse and I see what people go through post op, but I found myself thinking I was just going to sail through... boy was I wrong! I have never wanted to sleep and netflix binge more than I have the last 2 weeks!

For Protein supplementation I have used both Unjury (to add unflavored powder to pureed stuff) and Vega protein and greens (for my smoothies which I make with banana, PB fit and almond milk). So far I'm able to tolerate (but even the unflavored powder changes the consistency a bit).

We're going to have good days and not so good days, but know that in the long run, we can continue moving forward. Having post op complications (not as serious as yours, but still present) has made me realize I don't want any of this to be in vain, so hopefully it'll keep me honest!!