Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Common misconceptions

Ok, so I was speaking to my MIL this morning. We live in the same house, so she sees me daily. She got to talking about an episode of My 600lb Life (which I don't watch).

She mentioned how surprised she was that I was still heavy. (Mind you, I am 6 weeks post op and have lost a total of 40lbs.) She honestly believed I was going to lose 150lbs (goal) in 3 months.........

*speechless*

I reminded her that had I been on a regular diet for 8 weeks, I would have expected to lose 16lbs. at most.

So she watches these shows, yet has no true clue what the surgery entails...

But those people are huge and they only lose 30 pounds the first month.

Most people that post here feel like they are going to hit goal in 3 months too.

I used to think it was sad, now I just think it is comical.

That is one concern I have with that show. The last time I watched it (years ago), they never showed any updates or progress pics. They never explained that they are expected to take a full year to come down to their goal weight or 100 pounds depending on their starting weight etc. I think leaving those crucial pieces of information out does a disservice to both the general public AND to those considering surgery. Everyone seems to think it's a miracle surgery instead of a tool to aid you in your life choices.

HW: 328 (02/22/17)
SW: TBD
CW: 288

Pounds disowned to date: 40

They do follow up with them, but they start the show on their road to surgery and most of them take a long time to qualify so that is most of the show, getting them to buy in.

People on 600lb Life are the worst representation of WLS patients because they are severe food addicts. Most of them lose weight post-op with terrible, trash diets, They perpetuate the myth that you can lose weight with WLS eating anything.

75% of the people that post on this and other WLS forums have trash diets too, Which is why the general population doesn't think that WLS is hard work and that everyone regains.

Meh, if you are happy with your progress, and you certainly should be, then who cares what others think?

To be sure, I'm thrilled with my progress! And I truly don't care what she thinks. I guess I posted to find out if this is a common misconception about the surgery.. and I guess it is based on what Outside said.

The idea that it takes a year or two to hit goal is a relief. It gives TIME to adjust my lifestyle and learn new habits.

I'm already grossed out watching others eat (shoveling huge quantities of food in at a time).