Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fat Free Half & Half

Is Fat Free 1/2 & 1/2 acceptable after banding? Like for coffee, tea or cooking with it...Just Curious...

Maria

I use fat free half and half all of the time. I dont think it can hurt!

Is Fat Free 1/2 & 1/2 acceptable after banding? Like for coffee, tea or cooking with it...Just Curious...

Maria

Maria:

I use it twice a day with coffee. I couldn't give up the flavoring in the coffee. I'm probably not supposed to:rolleyes, but I've been successful so far - down 71 :)since end of April, banded on 7/26.

Good luck.

Sue Magoo

H-324/S-287/C-253/G-160

I use it every morning in my coffee. No problem. If you're making good food choices, a dollop or two of this won't make a difference. Enjoy.

I read somewhere that we shouldn't have any caffeine for three months after the band is placed. Does this sound right? Is everyone drinking Decaf? ?? I will miss my real coffee. Thanks, Bobbi:ranger:

I read somewhere that we shouldn't have any caffeine for three months after the band is placed. Does this sound right? Is everyone drinking Decaf? ?? I will miss my real coffee. Thanks, Bobbi:ranger:
I don't do decaf. One thing that you'll find by reading this website is that all doctors and nutritionists have different plans for their patients. One requires a liquid diet pre-surgery, one requires it post-op, one doesn't require it at all. You get my drift. Your nutritionist and surgeon will have a list of things that they will want you to do. It's best to follow their advice.

And on the original topic....

I just used regular half & half in my tea. I only have 1-2 cups per day, and I'm struggling to get enough calories in as it is. I don't think it will hurt anything.

My doctor's nutritionist said we could drink regular coffee even during our Clear liquids phase right after surgery. The way I've heard it, some doctors advise against it because coffee is a diuretic, and a bandster can have difficulty avoiding dehydration.

The half and half should be perfectly okay. Generally speaking, there are no specific foods that are "unacceptable" other than carbonated drinks. It's a matter of calorie intake and getting enough nutrients on a greatly reduced amount of food. As long as you aren't drinking it straight from the carton it should be fine!

My surgeon told me I could have coffee the day of my surgery. I thought that was odd and seemed like it would be hard on the stomach. I didn't have it because I don't drink coffee but he did say I could. Didn't mention anything about caffeine.

I haven't been banded yet. But my nutritionist told me to avoid caffeine because it can cause an ulcer.

My doctor pointed out that the band does nothing to the inside of your stomach. All restrictions, adhesions etc are from the outside. So the things we can't eat are affected by the shape of the stomach; tolerance for things like alcohol, caffeine, etc should be unaffected.