Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doctor overfilled me and refused to help me

I told the dr (a cardiologist in Dallas) that I was hungry :hungry: and he gave me 4cc's. The next day I couldn't swallow 1/2 a cup of tea all day total. I called his office after hours and he wouldn't call me back. His after hours told me to call the ER and they told me they couldn't help me. They could hydrate me but couldn't do anything w/ the band. In 12 hours, I threw up about 50 times. I called the surgeon in the morning and they immediately called me back from the surgery room.:sick He emptied it completely and was real concerned that the dr didn't call me back after doing this to me. I gained 10 lbs after they removed all the Fluid in 1 week. The surgeon had told me to come see him for a fill after the swelling goes down and I am hydrated again. I went and they want to charge me 120.00 for a fill. I need a dr that can do this with my ins/co-pay. These dr's are very popular in Dallas. I need someone I can trust who won't put my health in jeopardy. My MD is shocked :omg:over what is going on. The surgeon says he is not suppose to do fills so I have no options. Other dr's won't take on other dr's patients. Any suggestions??? HELP.:help:

I told the dr (a cardiologist in Dallas) that I was hungry hungry.gif and he gave me 4cc's. Cardiologist? Why is a cardiologist doing your fills? Why is he involved at all with the band?

The next day I couldn't swallow 1/2 a cup of tea all day total. What size is your band?

I called his office after hours and he wouldn't call me back. His after hours told me to call the ER and they told me they couldn't help me. They could hydrate me but couldn't do anything w/ the band. This isn't unusual for hospitals/Ers to say, but anyone on staff with subdermal ports could help, I'd think (e.g. oncology nurses - my granfather's told me she deals with potrs all the time).

In 12 hours, I threw up about 50 times. I called the surgeon in the morning and they immediately called me back from the surgery room.sick.gifStill not understanding why a cardiologist is doing anything to your band, but when you say surgeon, are you referring to the cardiologist, or the person who placed your band?

He emptied it completely and was real concerned that the dr didn't call me back after doing this to me. I gained 10 lbs after they removed all the Fluid in 1 week. Yeah, you were probably dehydrated. When you lost fluids, your body wants them back, it doesn't just say "oh well" and move on.

The surgeon had told me to come see him for a fill after the swelling goes down and I am hydrated again. I went and they want to charge me 120.00 for a fill. I need a dr that can do this with my ins/co-pay. Who did your band surgery? What do they charge for fills? Was your surgery covered with ins or were you self pay?

The surgeon says he is not suppose to do fills so I have no options. Other dr's won't take on other dr's patients. Any suggestions??? HELP.help.gifThe surgeon as in cardiologist, or guy who placed the band? I've never heard of a laprascopis/bariatrics surgeon who is not supposed to do fills. If they don't do them themselves, then they usually offer a PA or someone who can.

Sorry, I'm totally confused with doctor, surgeon, cardiololigst, surgeon, dr... can you clarify who's who, how you were banded, etc?

Thank you Wheetsin for writing this, I wanted to ask all those questions but wasn't sure how to put it all.

I also was wondering who the OP meant when she says "My MD is shocked omg.gifover what is going on. " Which MD? Her PCP? Or her surgeon? And who is that, the cadiologist?

I echo your questions as to why her surgeon would ever say he isn't supposed to do fills? That makes less than NO sense to me...

BTW, to the OP, there is a Fill Center USA somewhere in Texas, I think Houston, possibly Austin, check out their site: fillcentersusa.com

the cardiologist Dr. Maese did the cardiac clearance and he does the fills too. Like an assembly line. Another dr did the actual surgery-Dr. Wade Barker. i have a 10cc band. Dr. Barker did the surgery and he doesn't have the equip or been apprvd for the fills w/ the ins co, so they want to charge me full amt even though I have insurance. My ins paid for my surgery and the hospital chrgd 85k for the surgery when you can find it online for 15k. That's another story.:think

My regular dr that is shocked is my MD. I had to go for my blood work. before the lapband I was a diabetic, high cholestrol etc. I still have to have this checked out. So why I was there I talked to him about what was going on. He couldn't believe that Dr. Maese would jeopardize my health and not call me back and that Dr. Barker would do the surgery and not be set up to do the fills. I hope that clarifies it.

It does, thank you. And I am so sorry that you are going through all this, I agree that it's awful no one called you back!

Try fillcentersusa.com Even if it is a drive, you would be able to have care.

Try calling the Specialty Surgery Center of Fort Worth. They are actually on Precinct line in Hurst. they do lap band surgeries here as well as fills for a lot of Drs in the DFW area. Explain your situation and see if they can help. If not call AIGB who is in the same building and ask them.

he doesn't have the equip or been apprvd for the fills w/ the ins co, so they want to charge me full amt even though I have insurance.

If you can find someone else to do your fills who is not covered on your insurance you can call your insurance company and ask for an "Out of Network Exception". I have BCBS and had to do this. I called them and said I was not aware when I got my surgery that they did not cover the facility my Dr uses for fills. I told them I would be willing to go somewhere else if they could find someone else who would do it. I tried calling other places that were on my insurance and they would not because it was a different surgeon. Now I get in network benefits for an out of network provider.

I called them and they are 299.00 first visit and 150.00 for each visit thereafter and insurance won't cover it.

WHY wont insurance cover it? did they cover your band? Or they exclude all weight loss? Is it because they arent in network?

These places say that the insurance co's are not paying cuz this is a fairly new procedure. My ins co paid for the surgery and the fills to date so I don't know why all of a sudden I can't this covered. I been sick again last night and feel a little better today. Have been throwing up alot. I have a call into my MD to see if he can get me into someone who can check me out to see if the band is ok. I haven't been able to eat cream of wheat today or ice cream.

If I were doing that badly I would pay the money for fluro and then claim it with the insurance company myself. I would not wait to have it looked at. Good luck and I am sorry you are having to deal with this!

SAR:

Trouble getting fills? You would think this would have been settled in advance, so many fills until you have to pay?

I went to Tijuana, I can get fills for as long as the Dr. is in business. I call a couple days in advance, and he will see me.

it ONLY takes 5-10 minutes.

Hope everything turns out OK, I am sure you can find a Dr. that cares. I guess paying for the band out of pocket, does'nt seem all that bad after all. I was upset that Kaiser Perm. would not cover the band. All in all, I am happy with the whole thing, the staff in Tijuana, Dr. Gonzalez are great. They really seem to care about each person, and their goals. Then again I live close to Mexico, 1 1/2 hour drive.

That's one of the reasons I use fillcenters usa because they are in the business of customer service and want to make sure customers are happy.

Get a fill and it's too tight...go back for free for an unfill.

But since you have insurance and want it to cover this... you will have to shop around.