Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone,

I have only been here for about a week now, and I just want to say thank you to all of you for your feedback, pics and commments. You've even helped me already with a pre-op crisis! Awesome! ^_^

Okay, now to the meaning of my thread. I have noticed, even in this short time that there seems to be some kind of battle between Bandies and RNYers. What is the meaning of this? It seems more on the side of the RNYers, but I'm only getting the perception of the Bandies, so it could be different, I don't know. I've never seen a board for the RNYers.

I've seen many comments where someone who is working on the Band is almost being bullied into wanting the RNY by RNYers or even medical staff. I mean, of course I thought about it (RNY), but when I seen the side effects and it kind of goes against what I want to do to make my body more healthy, I said "no go!".

Bandies are being made to feel, even by other non Bandie WLS patients that we are taking the easy way out.??? How is that?? Because I haven't even had my surgery yet, and I can already tell anyone, if you are thinking of becoming a Bandie, you really better be dedicated to a SERIOUS lifestyle change! I'm positive I haven't even seen the half of it too.

I have to admit though, I am sort of an advocate for my surgery now too though. I have a good friend who was thinking of the RNY and was almost set to have the surgery and changed her mind to become a Bandie. :whoo: I jumped for joy and told her all the reasons she made the "better" choice. Was I wrong to do that? I never tried to convince her before hand, but I sure spilled my personal opinion after she said so. What do you think?

Obesity Help has both RNY and Band forums.......

I have two RL friends that have had the RNY... they both think theirs is better and I think my choice is better......... and we are all right........ It's what's best for ME..

Everyone has their own paths........I don't begrudge anyone for their path.. we are all going the same way.. Down the scale ^_^

There is a big misconception with RNY people....... I hear it over and over......... You can't lose FAST! You can't lose AS MUCH! Its NOT forever like theirs!

Ok.. well all of us hear no that those are myths.. YOU CAN do all those things as many here will testify to.

It seems that most people know a person who had WLS and they really only research what their friend/family member had. So they are pro "whatever WLS" their friend had. There are sooooo many misconceptions out there about all procedures.

I prefer the band over RNY. I prefer a sleeve over RNY. Those are my preferences, others feel differently. But NONE of the procedures are easy.

One strong opinion I do have about RNY and DS is that I don't believe they are forced to learn better eating behaviors like a banded person is. I see so many RNY folks that regain their excess pounds and my personal theory is that an RNY person can lose weight sitting on the couch. They don't absorb calories the way we do. Their dumping doesn't typically last forever. They eat and lose weight.

Within 18 months to 5 years their intestinal tissue begins to regrow and they can absorb fat and calories again. Since dumping doesn't usually last forever they go back to fat and sugar again. I don't believe they have typically learned the better eating behaviors that we have. This isn't true across the board of course, and it is just my opinion.

I think if I lost my band today I would regain but I don't think I would be my prior size. I have learned much better eating behaviors, my obsession with food is gone, and a good example is if my doc told me I had to go on liquids for a month for some reason it just wouldn't be a big deal for me. I could do it. Not sure I could have done that pre-band.

But each person has to do what is right for them. But it is critical that they research and understand everything there is to know about all the procedures otherwise they can't make an informed decision.

My best friend was banded in February and there was a lady that had surgery on the same day. She was asking me questions that she should have known the answer. I mean, these were seriously stupid questions for someone having surgery in an hour. She didn't know the basics! I asked her how much she had researched this and she said she didn't, there was no reason to. Others researched it and they had it so it must be okay. OMG! I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I asked if she heard the lectures from the doctors the previous day and just 20 minutes prior to our conversation. She said she was daydreaming and no, she didn't really pay attention.

Then she called me on day #4 after surgery and said she just ate chewy candy and fried chicken, her stomach hurt. What did the doc do wrong during surgery?

Needless to say, I was miffed and I let her know it.

I'd have to echo that sentiment. If I lost my band today, I would regain some weight, but I wouldnt get up to 113kg again.

I truly HAVE learned some food management and exercise behaviours that will stay with me. And just having this slim body, I would be more motivated to keep it.

I love running, truly love it. I would never stop just becuase I didnt have a band. And I really truly believe that the running and exercise is 3/4 of my weight loss success. And I know from prior experience that its at least 3/4 of the battle in keeping weight off.

But most importantly, and this is not saying that RNY'ers or GBP'ers dont work hard for their weight loss, but I feel real pride in what I have achieved becuase I know that whilst I've had help, I still made it happen. Losing weight with a band is still work, still down to your choices and that makes the victory that much sweeter.

It's completely normal for people to think their surgery is the best. I think it's totally possible to do that and not put down other surgeries as well. Heck, we were all morbidly obese and looking for a solution. Let's just be happy we found one.

I think there are some who truly feel they are doing the general public a favor by attacking another surgery. Usually, though... once one is far enough out... one realizes that each surgery has its pros and cons. It is truly a personal decision.

My only major pet peeve is that I hear RNYers say all the time... "I wouldn't want a foreign object inside of me." Ummm... not sure about you, but my stomach didn't come with four rows of titanium staples. :)

For me, the Lap-Band made the best sense in terms of my BMI, my goals, what risks I was willing to take, and what weight loss I would be happy with. If I had been a higher BMI or had different comorbidities, then I may have chosen a different surgery. If weight loss alone was my goal, I probably would have gotten a DS. In the end, it's definitely a personal decision.

I first started researching WLS in 1998. I was scheduled to have a Lap-RNY in July 1999. I backed out of it. Something told me... "Noooo." I ended up having a Lap-Band two years later once I had the money for it. I always said I'd never have my intestines cut. Fast forward six years, I'm tryign to refill once again. I just got diagnosed with type 2 diabetes after going through three gestational diabetes pregnancies. Now, if the Band doesn't work, I'm willing to consider other surgeries. My first choice would by the VSG. Second would be RNY. Why?? Well, now the risks of the RNY don't seem as bad as the risks of living with Type 2 diabetes long term. Things change.

I don't know so much of if it's a 'battle', people just have their preferences. I preferred the lap-band. I know people who preferred RNY.. I don't hold that against them or think they were wrong.. we just had a difference of opinion!

And I guess the 'battle' part, people seem to think their opinion is best.. thus, "RNY is better" "No, lap band is better".. yadda yadda.

I think whatever is best for you is what you decide to do. For me, it was the band!

I know it's silly (maybe not), but my biggest fear is the percentage average of weight lost for lap-banders. I forget it now, 35-55%? My goal is 180lbs, and I know that's more than 35-55% of my excess weight. 55% for me would be 84lbs. 35% would be 54lbs.

I've lost 54lbs exactly to date.

I hit the first statistic.. going for 55% now! I would still want to lose at least 40lbs if I lost 55%.. ok enough with numbers, my thing is.. I am anxious to see me get past 55% and to know I can beat the statistics! :)