Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone from Orange County, Calif and using Kaiser?

I'm in the very beginning stages. I was referred by my primary physician to the bariatric center for WLS. I'm in Orange County, Calif (Irvine area). I received a call a week ago from the bariatric department stating they approved me and will be mailing me a packet in snail mail. I haven't received anything yet - it's been over 7 days. Is there anyone out there from Orange County Calif that has used Kaiser? I'm curious about their process. I see a lot on here from Kaiser N. Calif and outlying areas but can't find anyone from Orange County.

I'd like to hear from other Orange County, Kaiser, Sleevers. :D.

I'm in LA, and LA County Kaiser is part of Kaiser So. Cal just like OC. (In fact, I had my breast reduction scheduled in Irvine initially).

You will need to complete Options, the pre-approval class and demonstrate consistent weight loss during that time. Don't take everything your Options guide says as gospel, though, since it's ultimately up to your surgeon, and mine changed some pretty significant elements (biggest being the timeline of foods and what's allowed at each stage.

After Options approval, you set up an appt with the surgeon.

If the surgeon agrees you're a fit candidate, he or she schedules your surgery date and pre-op.

Pre-op gives you the details for surgical prep (mine was 48 hrs of Clear Liquids only before surgery and a scrupulously clean belly button. :) )

Then surgery and (standard) one night in the hospital, making sure you're consuming liquids, walking, and peeing. (Bring your own pajamas, robe, and pillow!)

Follow up around 10 days later.

If you want more details, I wrote a much more detailed version on my BariatricPal blog. First entry. I

I recommend asking if you can have the surgery in South Bay with Dr. Zane. He's one of the developers of Kaiser's Bariatric program and incredibly experienced and skilled. I didn't even have bruising around the bigger incision and next to no gas pain thanks to his methods.

Congratulations for making this step!

Heather.... thank you for all that information! I also read your blog with gave me great insight as to what to expect. Thanks for being so detailed! It seems Kaiser Orange County (LA) only has hospitals that do this in South Bay or the San Diego area. I've never seen anything written about someone having the surgery in one of the Orange County hospitals. Thanks for the recommendation for South Bay. I will shoot for that, along with Dr. Zane.

My BMI is only at 38 (which is still obese) but falls under Kaisers regular requirements but I was approved due to the severe arthritis in both of my knees. I use a cane to walk if I have to walk any farther then about 60 feet and that is painful. I'm 59 years young and hate the cane! I will have full knee replacement after I lose weight. My ortho won't give me new knees until I lose at least 50 - 60lbs. One hurdle at a time and my first priority is my weight and maintaining the weight loss.

I was wondering if the Options program will require me to do exercising. At home I use the pool which takes the weight off my knees. I can sit in a chair and do upper body but anything involving my knees can't be done. I'm sure I'll have an opportunity to share my knee dilemma during one of my pre-appointments.

Heather, thanks again for your insight. And congratulations on your success and losing 54lbs!

@ShelbyMoore You're welcome. I set out to write the kind of blog entry I wished I could find pre-op!

All types of exercise are acceptable. One Options advisor insisted on 60 min/day but the other said any and all exercise is good and recommended half an hour a day. They all say that swimming is an excellent choice. (I love swimming but I've developed an unfortunate sensitivity to chlorine :( )

In the end, the exercise I did (mostly walking) was plenty and my surgeon was happy with my weight loss (25lb from HW a year prior). That's another thing to take with a grain of salt with Options.

I probably had more issues with my first person because she's a nutritionist who believes in "one size fits all" for pretty much everything and she didn't like all my questions. If I'd kept my mouth shut I would have sailed through. :lol:

Feel free to hit me up with any specific questions you have and good luck getting Dr. Zane. He's the head of the Bariatrics program and absolutely incredible as a surgeon. Just ignore him when he tells you you have to walk home from the hospital.

Hi Shelby,

I'm also an LA county Kaiser patient like Heather and she did a great job describing the process. I went through Options, took me three times to finally complete all 12 weeks. But as soon as I did I was called to set up an appointment with a pre-op physical. About a week after that I had an appointment tent with the surgeon. Not Dr. Zane though. I got Dr. Belzberg. So now my surgery is set for next Thursday, April 27th, at the South Bay hospital also. I am very nervous but also excited. I'm reading everything I can get my hands on about it. 😊

Speaking of reading, I'm off to read Heathers blog right now. 😁 Please keep us updated on your progress!

Debbie

I have Kaiser I am taking the bariatric option program in Bakersfield California we have to take a 12 week class during that time you do your Psych Evaluation pre opts and dietician appointments.

I start my 10th week next week they submitted my paperwork to KAISER for authorization for the surgery and they also gave me the name of 3 surgeons and phone numbers which I have called and I am trying to decide which one to go with they said usually you get an appointment within 1 week after your class is finished and they will schedule surgery within 1 to 2 weeks after that some doctors require you to lose more weight but I am hoping I will not have to lose anymore I've already lost 42 pounds in the class so far they told us that we need to lose 10% which mine was 29 pounds but I've exceeded well over that. The classes are very informative and I feel they are very important to take. Hoping for a surgery date at the end of May or the first week in June good luck to you if you have any questions let me know.

Tammy

Hi Debbie,

I'm so excited for you!

It sounds like the Options program is the biggest hurdle then things get moving through.

Please keep us updated in here on how you are doing. Maybe you can write a blog about your personal experiences. It's all inspirational to me. :)

Hi Tammy,

I received in the mail today the information on the 12 week Options program. I immediately phoned Kaiser to get that scheduled but was only able to leave a voicemail. I hope they phone me back on Monday so I can get that step scheduled.

Question... what program did you use to lose all that weight? Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig or on your own? That's an amazing amount of weight! Great job!

Hi ShelbyMoore

In the Options class they put you on a certain amount of calories per day and they teach you all that during the class that's what I have been doing as far as losing weight.
If you don't hear back from them by Monday I would definitely give them a call back but they probably will contact you good luck with your classes the time will go by very quickly.

Thanks Tammy!