Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nervous about tomorrows appt:(

Hi All:) I am still new to this and have only posted a few times, I hope I'm doing this right!

I have attended the mandatory seminar that is offered through my hospital, as well as had the referral from my doctor sent out. I have my first visit with my surgeon and the psychologist tomorrow. I have concerns about what I say to them both, and how I say it. I am afraid it will jeopardize getting the procedure??

I have a 43 BMI and my only medical condition is GERD and a hiatal hernia. But... I have a huuuuge family history of obesity, heart attack, diabetes, hypertension....

Has anyone been nervous about their appointment for these reasons? I am so afraid I will say something wrong or not have "enough" medical issues. Thanks in advance!

Peace,

Kerri Marie

What does your insurance say about coverage? What are their requirements? Most insurances who actually cover AGB cover with a BMI if 35 if you have 2 comorbidities, but over 40 does not have to have them. They often do also include a caveat that you must have been morbidly obese for five years, or >100lbs overweight for five years. If you are hoping for insurance company coverage, that's what you need to find out.

If you are self-pay, then I would not worry at all. You are above the BMI requirement.

Just be honest. The psych appt is usually just to make sure you do not have an eating disorder or a major depressive disorder that should be treated prior to banding and to make sure you are in the right place to be successful in a structured weight loss program and ready for surgery without thinking it will cure you magically. Use the search function on the blue toolbar near the top of the page and look for the word psych. There are loads of threads about this appt. Frequently they have you take a long true or false test that is an indicator of your personality type called the MMPI-2. There are no right answers, there are no wrong answers. Just relax and be honest.

For the surgeon appt, please go the the FAQ and References here and you'll find a list of questions to ask at the MD appt. There's also a list of things to have on hand for surgery. It's a great forum.

Hi All:) I am still new to this and have only posted a few times, I hope I'm doing this right!

I have attended the mandatory seminar that is offered through my hospital, as well as had the referral from my doctor sent out. I have my first visit with my surgeon and the psychologist tomorrow. I have concerns about what I say to them both, and how I say it. I am afraid it will jeopardize getting the procedure??

I have a 43 BMI and my only medical condition is GERD and a hiatal hernia. But... I have a huuuuge family history of obesity, heart attack, diabetes, hypertension....

Has anyone been nervous about their appointment for these reasons? I am so afraid I will say something wrong or not have "enough" medical issues. Thanks in advance!

Peace,

Kerri Marie

Hi,

Like you I have a family history diabetes, hypertension and heart attack. I told the practise nurse (you see her first) and she seemed to think that this was more likely to influence the surgeon into agreeing to the surgery than preventing it. The idea to most doctors is not just to deal with weight loss for cosmetic purposes but to reduce your risk of these other conditions.

You need to tell them about your history - that way when you do get surgery they can be prepared for any eventuality.

My mother died from a heart attack at 53, her father was only 57 when he died of a heart attack and her mother died from a stroke at 73. I am 47 and I want to live past 53 and 57.

Here in Australia, if you had these risks in your family you might even qualify with a lower BMI, so don't hide this information - they NEED to know.

Good luck

:)

Thank you so such Faithmd and sewenup1!! I, unfortunately, have been 100lbs overweight for 5 years. There are 3 major reasons that I want this surgery..

1- I am petrified that I wont live to see the age of 40 because heart attacks in my family have been with 3 people under the age of 50, 2 over 50. Not to mention the other health risks that run in my family...

2- I want to feel accepted by people, as well as myself. I love who I am on the inside, and that person simply doesn't match the person on the outside. Also, I work in a structured environment where I should be a role model to the young adults with development disabilities that I am working with. They look up to me, and cherish the time I spend with them. This makes me feel really good, but.. how can I be a role model for healthy eating habits and self control, when I can't take my own advice?!

3- I want to have a child within the next 3 years, and my current weight and health would make my unborn child and myself at risk. Also, I am sure I would never lose the baby weight, and be larger than I am now, and what kind of life would that be for my child?^_^

I guess my plan for tomorrow is to just spill my guts to the doctor psychologist. They have my family's history already from my doctors office. I am currently trying to gather dates of the diets I have been on and the weight loss/ re-gain that I have dealt with... Oh boy! Thanks again for the advise, and links to more info, I REALLY appreciate you time! I feel so thankful to have found this forum, it has been a wonderful tool for me:) You guys are great!