Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

People treat you different

I've heard a lot of stories about people being treated differently by people in their life that knew them when they were heavy and then after they lost weight. I'm just curious what kind of reactions you guys have had with people actually treating you differently. Good or bad. I'm not banded, yet. I'm getting on the waiting list tomorrow. I'm just preparing myself for every possibility of life with the band. Thanks, guys!

I am floored at how differently I am treated. Oh, I knew it was an issue before, but I had NO clue how MUCH of a difference there is.

It's not just people I know, mostly it is people I don't know. I used to think stores just had really bad customer service. Today I know differently. FAT people have a different type of customer service vs. normal sized people. I didn't realize until recently just how obvious they make it.

I went to costco for glasses a year ago and he passed right over me to a thin person. I went for an eye exam again a few days ago and suddenly the fat person was passed over so I could obtain service quickly.

I walked out. I didn't make an issue of it in front of the fat person but I damn sure wrote a customer service card and explained why I was dumping my costco card. I didn't explain that I used to be the person passed over, I just explained what I saw.

CostCo... never again.

I shop at Dillards for clothes. I have to say, CS there is great regardless of size. I am color deficient, something rare for women. I can't pick out my own clothes. Regardless of size I go there and look for a salesperson that looks nice and professional. I pick them and ask for help in picking out clothes. I choose the styles, they choose the colors. I STILL make it a point to stop at the customer service dept. and I fill out the card to compliment employee that helped me. I am annoying and difficult because of my color issues. What looks gross to me looks normal to others. They help me choose what I can live with as well as those that see color the normal way.

For the most part, YES! There is a HUGE mega difference in CS for fat folks vs. normal size folks and I, for one, will NEVER forget that. I will never forget who treated me like a human as a fat person vs. a normal size person.

I agree, its people I dont know. Family and friends, and people I have associations with from day to day, they dont treat me differently.

But the way I get treated in public, you become so much more visible. Even the hairdresser is more friendly because she wants to do something funky and up to the minute with my hair since I'm not just another fat person begging to keep it long and boring to hide the chins.

I would never have realised there was a difference in the way thin and fat people were treated although I havent been really fat for more than seven or eight years.

I am less invisible than when I was 85 pounds fatter. I too feel as though I get better customer service, but I have to say that I also carry myself and dress myself with more importance

I have a fat cousin with multi millions of dollars, she gets treated very well everywhere she goes.

So perhaps it isn't the fat, it may be how we carry ourselves.

And, I have also noticed crappy customer service everywhere lately.

I guess there are prejudices of all kinds.

This is a topic that has given me much food for thought recently. I have been trying to explain to my mom how much better people treat thinner people. She has never had a weight problem so she has not experienced it first hand as I have. Keep in mind that I have lost about 54 pounds and still have a ways to go before I am at goal. I am currently at 220 but carry my weight extremely well and most people think I weigh between 150 and 160. The difference is amazing!!! I have been at the same job for two years and men who never said hello to me before are falling over themselves to talk to me. Women who didn't give me a second thought are intimidated by me. I got a promotion a couple of days ago and the big wigs could not have told you my name until I lost the weight. People smile at me in stores and say "hello". They never did before. It is truly amazing and the differences are so numerous that I cannot even list them all. These examples are just off the top of my head. It is unbelievable!!!