Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Contemplating/questions.......

Hi everyone. I have been reading posts to this group for the last couple of weeks - a nice forum to get information. I have an initial consultation next week with a doctor in the US, but wanted to ask people here some questions before I go. I am 5'2", 233 right now and am miserable. I binge eat all the time. I feel like the lap band will probably be a good tool for me, but am still undecided. I have yo-yo'd my whole life!

Has anyone here reached their goal weight loss with the lap band? How can eating 1/2 cup of food 3 times a day be healthy? I am asking about 1/2 cup as I see that most people say that is what you are supposed to eat, but that really doesn't cover the daily nutritional recommendations as far as I can tell.

What about taking medications, can you swallow whole pills still with this surgery? Does anyone know if you can have the lap band done through the same incisions as the laparoscopic gallbladder surgery I already had?

I'm going to be self pay ($17,000) which is a lot of money but I feel I am worth it. I am really scared, however, as food IS my best friend! Will I be more depressed when I have to give up my constant bingeing? I am just really nervous about that part of it. The postings here have really given me a lot of information and I am so glad I found this site! Thanks for your help!

Mistybreezes

Hi Misty,

I have had my band 7 months and like you, felt at the end of my ropes with dieting. I was actually a Mexico patient and don't regret it a bit. I can still take most pills whole but the biggest ones may need to be broken up. I typically eat more like a cup of food at each meal and average 1200-1500 calories a day. I use fitday.com to track my calories and nutrician. I started out 5'4" and 362 lbs and am now at 282 lbs. I also love food and like to snack but the band really helps keep it to a minimum. If I am in a real binging mood now after being banded I still probably only eat 1/2 of what I used to. I get full much sooner or stop if I feel any discomfort. Overall I am very happy with my progress and hope the best for you. Teresa

Hi, Misty, and Congratulations! You definitely are worth being healthier and feeling better about yourself! I was almost your height/weight beginning. I had several co-morbidities, which have been drastically reduced. And less pills/side effects, RX expenses. You really should be taking less pills (RXs) after being banded. I've been bad during the holidays (grazing too much). But I know w/o the band, I would have just given up. With it, you know you can "goof up", but then get right back on track.

Thank you for your replies. This site is a big help. I am really excited to go talk to the doctor about having the surgery done in a couple more days! Did anyone have a lot of negative reactions and feedback when you told your family/friends what you were thinking about doing? I have only told three people and two were not real supportive and thought I "could just lose it on my own." And for $17,000, I could just hire a personal trainer and the weight would melt off. I have had to be firm and tell them, don't you think if that were the case, I would have already done that by now? I lose and then six months later or a year later I have gained it all back plus some! I just love food too much. One minute I am really excited about this surgery and the next kind of scared, but I feel I am going to have it done and am making a good choice. Let's hope the doctor thinks I am a good candidate. I am in good health, besides being obese, 37 y/o, no high blood pressure or diabetes or anything. One of the main reasons I want to have this done to lose weight is to get rid of this terrible sweating problem. It is so humiliating, I even quit going to church because every where I go, if I stand there for more than 5 minutes, I am dripping sweat on my face and my hair is soaked! It has really stopped my social life, I don't date, don't go out with friends or anything because of all of the issues the excess weight has caused. Can anyone relate to the sweating problem? I have had my hormones tested, blood workup, you name it and the doctors just say, well some people sweat more than others. I just don't recall sweating ever being a problem when I was a size 12 or 14. I am size 22 now. Thanks for hearing my comments and I appreciate your replies and support also.

Mistybreezes

yet to have surgery, hopefully soon!

Good luck Misty. Truly, I think you'll be glad you made the decision. Yes, those who have not walked in our shoes have lots of solutions. It's as you say, if it were that simple, we'd have all done it by now and there would be no obesity in our country. People really don't just make the choice to be fat and most don't really love it when it happens either.

Misty, I went through a short "grieving" period right after getting my band. You don't realize how much you depend on food until it's not there! But it was very temporary. I stopped watching t.v. because of all the food commercials. I understand about your sweating. For years I said my thermostat was "stuck on high". I was hot 24/7, 365 days a year. Always red-faced. Bloodwork showed no related problems. My PCP even suggested I check into a surgery that removes your sweat glands! Now don't we need to sweat for a reason? Didn't do that one! But since banding and dropping weight, I actually get cold! I can wear those pretty sweaters now. Before I would have just "burst into flames". And I've actually gotten goose bumps. My PCP rechecked my bloodwork and all is well. I guess loosing some of that insulation really makes a difference. You will get your life back and be able to get out there and enjoy it again.

Hi, Misty, and welcome! I think your anxiety is perfectly normal and a good indication that you have done some serious thinking about this. I got banded for the same reason you are thinking about it. I had lost weight successfully several times, but always gained it back. My surgeon assured me that the band would prevent that from happening and so far, he's been right. When I really got way, way off track for months at a time, I gained five pounds, but that was it. Because the band still kept me from eating as much as I would have and could have pre-band. So when I got my act together again, I hadn't lost much ground at all.

I take some large pills and break them in half.

I pay no attention to half cup meals or whole cup meals. I let my band tell me when to stop. I probably don't eat much more than a cup at a time, sometimes more and sometimes less, depending on what the food is. And I try to make sure that what I do eat is healthy and nutritious (most of the time). I take Vitamins.

As for the psychological part, I can only share my experience. I guess there are times when I miss bingeing, but it's never made me depressed. In fact, I am so much happier and less depressed than I was. I am more social, have made new friends, and have experienced a huge increase in my self-esteem.

That by far outweighs any downside. But I have to be honest and say that I also had some psychotherapy to help with this, too.

Good luck.

Nancy

Did anyone have a lot of negative reactions and feedback when you told your family/friends what you were thinking about doing? I have only told three people and two were not real supportive and thought I "could just lose it on my own."

Misty, my advice is to be WISE in who you tell.

All of my family knows about my band. The family members that are obese admire my decision and have supported me from day one; the ones that are mildly overweight (20 or so pounds) do NOT comment on my 40+ weight loss -and were VERY against me having it done, they also have the same attitude as the 3 people you mentiond above!

Again, I remind you to be wise. I even regret telling my best friend. :)

If you are in doubt about telling someone, wait a little while.

My thought is that once you tell them, they will know forever.

Marie has only told her husband!

I am to have lap band surgery soon...I have had some good compliments about Dr Speigle, then some bad ones...which included six deaths. The lady said to get his license number and look it up..I am so confused...they also have a local site on SE Texas about where a woman wants to no if anyone had any complications with their lap band surgery....What am I to think?

I am to have lap band surgery soon...I have had some good compliments about Dr Speigle, then some bad ones...which included six deaths. The lady said to get his license number and look it up..I am so confused...they also have a local site on SE Texas about where a woman wants to no if anyone had any complications with their lap band surgery....What am I to think?

There are several people on here that uses that doctor (I think it is the same one) that could give you more information. Can you tell us who told you about the deaths? That sounds like a rumor to me, but worth checking out.

Some lady who had the gastric by pass and did research....but not sure how truthful it is ...she went to another doctor.....I do know several people have had complications not sure what kind though

It would be wise for you to schedule an in-office visit with this surgeon before you go any further. Ask him all your concerns and ask to be given written documentation to validate whatever he tells you. You must have total trust and confidence in your doctor and his staff, because this is an ongoing relationship between your band dr. and yourself. Best of luck!