Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about fills

I was banded September 14th. I haven't weighed in the last week, but know I am still losing weight because of how clothes are fitting and those type of things.

I am almost 3 weeks out of surgery and went two weeks on liquid diet because the band was a little "snug" according to the surgeon, but he didn't want to use a larger size because it would be too loose he thought.

Anyway, take for instance the other night. We went out to eat. I ordered a cup of Clam Chowder and a side order of Breakfast sausage. I ate maybe 1/4 cup of the Soup maximum and 1/2 of one sausage patty that was pretty thin. That fills me up to the point I am full.

Last night I was out on business. I ordered a chicken Quesadilla off the appetizer menu. It came as a 10" tortilla folded in half and then that was cut into four pieces. I took maybe four small bites off of it and then opened it up and at the chicken pieces and cheese, but couldn't even finish one of the fourths.

I am scheduled for my first fill on the 19th of this month. I am asking for opinions of those who have been through this process - do you think I will automatically get a fill or do you think they will evaluate what I have been eating quantitiy wise and make a decision based upon that? I wonder if this is really filling me up or if I am psychologically telling myself I am full? I am not snacking between meals and don't feel hungry though.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

dab

Most surgeons would NOT fill you. From your post I would gather this information:

You are not hungry

You are satisfied with what you eat

You are losing weight

If those three things above were all NOT happening, that's when you need a fill.

I am over three months out and have not been filled yet.

Aye, your surgeon should not fill you. If he tries to, decline or you're probably going to be too tight. Trust me, you don't want to be there, it's not fun, and it's not good for you.

I too was able to get restriction from the band itself, without fill. I went for my first fill appt, and was told no. I came back a month later and got .5 cc. That was around 10 - 12 weeks out. It was several more weeks before I got my second fill of .5 cc. After that, the body changes were enough that I could move up to 1 cc at a time.

dab, be careful my dear. What you are describing is optimal fill level. I can only eat 1/3 to 1/4 cup of food at a time. You are describing me to the tee. I don't think you need another fill, especially if you are losing 1-2 lbs per week. This may be your sweet spot so be very careful. Julie

Some doctors put in a slight fill at the time they insert the band....is it possible he did that? Usually you have swelling for a few weeks after wls that acts as a restriction but you shouldn't have it this far out.

I have a friend who is 5 mo out and still not had a fill and is not hungry and is losing a pound or more a week. Unexplainable, but she is happy about it, and her doctor says he will not give her a fill as long as she is losing and not feeling deprived or having to struggle with her appetite....and she's not.

I never automatically get a fill. I only get a fill when I begin to get hungery between meals. You know your body and will continue to know it. Listen to what you are telling yourself. Sounds like you are doing really well

Thanks for the additional replies.

Here is the latest. I must be healing. I am still not eating "big", but am getting more down.

I had my first run in with bad habit eating Thursday night. I had 1/4 cup of chili and about 1/4 of a brat for supper and that filled me up. That was about 5.

I went and walked for about an hour at the duck club to get some exercise and then sat around and talked till about 8. When I got home, the wife had stopped on the way home from soccer and grabbed some Churches chicken. I wasn't that hungry, but grabbed a thigh and sat down and took two bites off of it - I know I shouldn't have - but I did what I did. I ate it too quick and as soon as the second bite hit the bottom, I knew what was up. I slobbered for about 45 seconds and there was a big knot in my throat and here it all came back - chicken and a little bit of the chili and the brat. That was a lesson to me.

Last night I had almost 1/2 grilled chicken breast and some veggies and then about 1/2 cup of yogurt afterwards and it was filling. Not bursting full, but enough to last me till this morning when I had one small piece of Breakfast sausage patty and a small cup of milk.

I don't feel as much restriction as I did last week - but I really only started solid food 7 days ago today. I haven't stepped on a scale in the last week and a half - but I know based upon my belt that I have lost more weight.

We will see what the doc says on the 19th.

dab