Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Dictionary

I think it's time. This is just for starters. Please add or modify by cutting and pasting into a new post so we keep the list current:

PB - Productive Burp: There are many versions to the PB, but it's basically when slime comes back up often followed by the food you just ate after the food refuses to go down.

NSV- Non scale Victory: Something fabulous that happens as a result of weight loss that doesn't have anything to do with numbers, like getting flirted with or picking up something off the floor without falling over.

ESOPHOGITUS

PM - Private Message: If you want to say something privately to another member, just click on their name for an option to send them a private message.

ACID REFLUX

FILL

UNFILL

PB - Productive Burp: There are many versions to the PB, but it's basically when slime comes back up often followed by the food you just ate after the food refuses to go down.

NSV- Non scale Victory: Something fabulous that happens as a result of weight loss that doesn't have anything to do with numbers, like getting flirted with or picking up something off the floor without falling over.

ESOPHOGITUS

PM - Private Message: If you want to say something privately to another member, just click on their name for an option to send them a private message.

ACID REFLUX

FILL

UNFILL

(DH?)<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Great idea, Lisa! I'm going to make this sticky and when it's perfect we can revise to be a permanent reference.

ESOPHAGITIS - Irritation of the esophagus to the point of inflammation. Can be caused or exacerbated by a too-tight band keeping food from passing through the stoma and "stacking up" in the esophagus.

ACID REFLUX

FILL - Addition of saline to the band's reservoir to tighten it and create a smaller opening from the pouch into the stomach. Usually done for the first time no less than 6 weeks after surgery when stomach has fully healed and the band is firmly seated in place. Several fills may be needed to achieve the desired restriction.

UNFILL - Removal of saline from the band's reservoir to loosen it, and create a larger opening from the pouch into the stomach. May be done to relieve symptoms of reflux or ease the passage of food for other reasons.

Kim, "DH" is not specific to banding, it's just internet shorthand for "Dear Husband." The D can also stand for other adjectives as the case may suit... (darling, danged, use your imagination.)

Alex, this whole threat started cuz I keep seeing the term, "sticky." Now you used it in your response, but the defininition is still blank! What is a sticky? I thought it had to do with a sticky band, like food getting stuck???????

Good job on filling in the blanks!

Sticky just means one of those threads that stays at the top of a forum all the time, the ones with the push-pin icon on them. They stay there for reference without people having to bump them. Nothing to do with banding, at least in that context.

Wow, you learn something every day. I still think "sticky" belongs in the dictionary. I always thought it had to do with food sticking. I didn't now you could keep a post at the top, and I never knew how those push pins got there. Interesting.