Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello from Orange County, CA

Yes I am from the "OC" but not everyone here is blonde and wears a bikini! I found this forum to find out answers to my questions. And I have so many! All this information is so handy and I glad to hear that I am not the only one that contemplates this decision of getting the lap band. I am going to a seminar this Saturday and will find out more information. Good news is that my insurance does cover this procedure. Can't wait to find out more information so I will keep reading. Anyone out there from my area? I feel like this procedure is my last hope. Also feeling of "am i taking the easy way out?" In reading, not sure that it is the easy way or not...please give me some guidance here!

Hey welcome! Where in OC do you live? I live in Seal Beach... I'm also considering getting the lap band. My consultation is on the 17th of this month. I can't wait! Good luck this saturday, ask lots of questions!

Hello to you both! I don't live in Orange County (I'm in Ventura County), but I was banded in O.C. and I continue to go there for my fills and check-ups. Who are you considering as your surgeon? I had Dr. Francis Kelly who is in the Fountain Valley Bariatric group. They are wonderful! Good luck to you! Keep posting and asking questions....We are all here to help each other. :biggrin1:

Thanks for the encouragement! I am going to a seminar given by Dr David Oliak, at the Chapman Medical Center in Orange. How has your journey been so far? When did you get your surgery? How are feeling now? What weight did you start at and how much have you lost? Did you have any complications?...as you can see I have so many questions!

I live in La Mirada..I know exactly where Seal Beach is. You must be in the same boat as I am. Excited yet afraid of the unknown...that is why this forum is so helpful. It gives me so much information, some I would rather not read (the problems) but I think with talking with people about their experiance will help me through this. What dr are you seeing?

Thanks for the encouragement! I am going to a seminar given by Dr David Oliak, at the Chapman Medical Center in Orange. How has your journey been so far? When did you get your surgery? How are feeling now? What weight did you start at and how much have you lost? Did you have any complications?...as you can see I have so many questions!

I have heard good things about Dr. Oliak! I am not very familiar with the area but met some people at a seminar who had him as their doctor. I was banded almost 11 months ago and have done well, but haven't lost as much as I was hoping to by this time. ( I have the 10cc band and it took quite a long time to get to the proper restriction.) I have lost 40 pounds but feel TERRIFIC! My blood pressure and blood sugar have become normal, my joints don't hurt as much, I have energy and enthusiasm again. I have about 50 -60 pounds more to lose. I have had NO problems with my surgery.

What questions do you have? This forum will address almost all of them, if you search. And if I can answer any, let me know. I know this seems like a scary step, but most of us here are so happy we on on this journey and I suspect you both will, too. Ask questions and get to know your doctor well. Attend the seminars and all the pre-op classes. Check out all the pre-op and post-op threads here on LBT....and you will be well prepared! Good luck! :clap2:

welcome to LBT...trust me when I say, It is not the easy way out...you will still have to work at it...it is easier, but it is not just easy....I was banded 4/6/07 and I am so happy..I have lost 68 pounds and I couldn't be happier...Hope you decide to have the band...I would do it over again tomorrow...and I was a self pay...but it is worth every penny....

Hi, I live in La Mirada also. Had my band done by Kelly Francis in Fountain Valley. She is really good. My surgery was in February 2006 and I am down 103 pound so far, The band has been a life saver for me. Only wish I had it sooner. I was the family guiney pig. My granddaughter had her band done in August of 2006 and has lost 125 pounds. Dr. Kuri in Tijuana did hers because insurance would not pay here, she was under 18. The hospital ther is wonderful, very clean and the service fantastic. Better then most hospitals here. My son had his in may and is down 60.

Good Luck with your journey

Barbara

Hello Denise, I am from Orange County as well, Fullerton. I meet with my Doctor on Weds. to see if I get her blessing. I went to a clinic to inquire about the Lap band and they want me to pay $6K out of pocket with my PPO. So, I decided to go through my doctor so my insurance will pay. Looks like we both might be tracking the same since we are at the same starting point. I wish you luck and pray that my doctor says Okay to me. You are right this site has really helped me and I cannot wait to get banded. Do you know what slime is? There are a lot of words used here in the forum that I don't know what they are. Oh well, hope I learn at my meeting as well - If I get to go. What doctor are you going to? What city? Were you referred?

Hello Denise, Its me again from Fullerton. I just read that you were going to Dr. Oliak that is where I wanted to go too. He wants to charge me $6K out of pocket and my insurance covers $10K. I got approved through Citibank for the $6K but I think if I go through my doctor I can go to a hospital and have everything covered. I wish you luck and keep me posted!!!

Hello Ventura County!! You mentioned Fountain Valley, I was referred through this forum to see Dr. Liu or Dr. La font do those doctors sound familiar to you? I am more excited to get this done than ever!!! I meet with my doctor on Wednesday. I am scared to close this forum out for fear I won't find you guys again.

The band is a tool it's not a miracle... For most it's just what we need to give us that extra help to lose and keep it off. If you follow the bandster rules to the best of your ability theres no way you cannot succeed. There is no easy way out.

Greetings!! I live in Long Beach and work in Fountain Valley. I am gearing up for my final pre-op consult this coming Thursday and will *fingers crossed* be getting banded on 6/30. I am going through the N.E.W. Program with Dr. Quebbeman and the surgery takes place at Chapman Medical Center in Orange. It's all a bit overwhelming, but I am optimistic and excited about the opportunity to change my life!!

Best of luck to you - and everyone else - on this journey!! ~Tai

Hi, good luck with your Dr. Vist. I had my band done by Dr. Francis in Fountain Valley. Dr. La Ports group. she is wonderful. I am down about100 pounds. Still need to lose more. the band is great!