Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Giving Up

You see, many people with insurance have this thing called a deductible. It's what they have to pay before insurance will start paying. It's different for most people, as most people don't have the exact same policy. In my case, it was $3,000. And even after that, I had to pay the hospital $2,500, the surgeon $888.88, and the anesthesiologist $308.00. So WASa is right. Your statement was odd. And a little suspect, when you consider the rest of the stuff she mentioned.

You see, many people with insurance have this thing called a deductible. It's what they have to pay before insurance will start paying. It's different for most people, as most people don't have the exact same policy. In my case, it was $3,000. And even after that, I had to pay the hospital $2,500, the surgeon $888.88, and the anesthesiologist $308.00. So WASa is right. Your statement was odd. And a little suspect, when you consider the rest of the stuff she mentioned.

I have a $5K deductible on our insurance since we rarely have medical needs and our overall medical care is cheaper. Insurance is just for something major. After the $5K deductible I have a 20% copay.

It wasn't that much more to go to Mexico.

So new person, you do indeed seem to have a lot of info about PC that she never posted.

I have a $5K deductible on our insurance since we rarely have medical needs and our overall medical care is cheaper. Insurance is just for something major. After the $5K deductible I have a 20% copay.

It wasn't that much more to go to Mexico.

So new person, you do indeed seem to have a lot of info about PC that she never posted.

I don't have a copay at all. At the doctor's office, I just leave after being seen. Don't have to pay a cent at the time. They submit to insurance, insurance decides if they want to pay. If I haven't met my deductible yet, they tell the doctor's office that they won't pay, and the doctor's office sends me a bill, usually a month or two after the visit. Makes it nice.

But yeah, that's why I wish I had had the guts to go to Mexico for surgery. Would have had the same approximate out-of-pocket expense and would have had surgery faster. I know better now. For plastics, I'm either shopping around in the US or going straight to Mexico. Heck, might even choose your guy, WASa!

But yeah, that's why I wish I had had the guts to go to Mexico for surgery. Would have had the same approximate out-of-pocket expense and would have had surgery faster. I know better now. For plastics, I'm either shopping around in the US or going straight to Mexico. Heck, might even choose your guy, WASa!

I sure hope my guy is good! HA! I'll let you know. :cool:

Actually, I've seen his work, totally impressive.

I sure hope my guy is good! HA! I'll let you know. :cool:

Actually, I've seen his work, totally impressive.

Really, then. When it comes time, might have to have you go with me to hold my hand.

I'd do that, absolutely!

I'll clue you in on how much this is gonna hurt too! :cool:

You'll probably be turning the internet air blue when you do.

If you guys actually read she states very clearly in one of her postsPattychat)how much she owed, along with her surgery date and the whole story at least 50 times.My point was he was my doctor , he spent many hours listening to my husband and I was very kind and not in the least bit money hungry, I would hope that if someone was saying lies about me,that someone out there would stand up for me.end of discussion,and yes I will make sure He sees all this slanderous stuff people who do not even know him are saying.I wish you all well with your surgery ,mine was wonderful.

If you guys actually read she states very clearly in one of her postsPattychat)how much she owed, along with her surgery date and the whole story at least 50 times.My point was he was my doctor , he spent many hours listening to my husband and I was very kind and not in the least bit money hungry, I would hope that if someone was saying lies about me,that someone out there would stand up for me.end of discussion,and yes I will make sure He sees all this slanderous stuff people who do not even know him are saying.I wish you all well with your surgery ,mine was wonderful.
And where, pray tell, is this post of hers that tells how much she was expected to pay? Here are all the posts she made in this thread.
Has this happened to anyone else. My surgery was all set. Pre-op is tomorrow.

Dr. Mejias office called THIS morning... ONE WEEK before surgery and said that my portion (the part insurance won't pay) is due before surgery. I had to cancel and they seemed to care less. Just said "ok". The end... my dreams dashed...

Patty :cry

I understand having to pay upfront. If he had told me that at the initial meeting... I could have saved. I was told a WEEK before my surgery that I would have to pay the part that insurance did not pay. He (Dr. Mejias) offered NO payment plan. I paid off gall bladder surgery that I had on July 25th by Oct. 4th because they said I would have to before having my lapband. A friend of mine was upset because I was so upset and the office manager at Dr. Mejias office told her that I did not pay my bills. Isn't that slander? I paid off my ball bladder surgery within two months of getting the statement. To that the office manager said, yes, but we had to call her.

ONE WEEK before surgery is not enough notice and I felt it was unfair. The only thing I knew to do was walk out. I had even had my preopt done. Dr Mejias (athens, Ga) said he would start telling patients that they had to pay this amount upfront at the initial seminar. I think I'll go to make sure he does... hand out flyers in front of the office.

That should have read GALL bladder surgery.

AND that Dr. Mejias office (the office manager) told my friend that I did "not pay my bills".

yes, I could put it on a credit card but the issue is more about the prinicple of the thing rather than the money. I walked out because it was NOT fair. One week before surgery is not enough time to tell someone they have to pay the amount that insurance would not pay or no surgery. I felt bullied.
I went through the whole process only to be stopped by a bullying Doctor 7 days before surgery because he said pay now or no surgery. He should have told me 8 months ago that he would require "the part insurance" would not pay upfront. I walked out on surgery. If op patients let Dr.'s they'll continue to treat us badly.
Ilene62,

For me the hardest part was 7 days before my surgery, Dr. Mejias's office called with the little surprise that I would have to pay the part "that insurance didn't pay". I had been in the process for 8 months only to be told 7 days before surgery I would have to pay OR not have the surgery. My insurance approved but the Dr. wouldn't do it unless I paid. THE

I also took the time to look through all 24 posts she's made at this board. She mentioned once that she could put it on credit card, but that doesn't mean anything. I could charge several thousand dollars to each of my credit cards right now. The only time she mentions a specific amount of money was when she said she was having to spend $25.00 to get her records from them. That's it.

So come up with another story. This one has major holes.

its apost she did on 10/07/2007 at 905 am,,i am not surprised you missed it,it gets boring reading the same posts about the same thing.there are no holes just truth,and sometimes the truth is hard to face ,its much easier to blame someonelse for our troubles isnt it.?

its apost she did on 10/07/2007 at 905 am,,i am not surprised you missed it,it gets boring reading the same posts about the same thing.there are no holes just truth,and sometimes the truth is hard to face ,its much easier to blame someonelse for our troubles isnt it.?
Well, who is she to blame? Herself? She isn't the one who made them wait to tell her. And she shouldn't pay for medical care she hasn't received yet. That's why medical bills are sent after a doctor's appointment, not before. I'd personally go to a different surgeon, myself. Yes, some have program fees, but paying for the portion that insurance doesn't pay, before surgery? Heck no. I'd tell them that that is what bills are for. And with this surgery, it isn't like one surgeon is the only choice she has. I'd drop him in a heartbeat.

...end of discussion,and yes I will make sure He sees all this slanderous stuff people who do not even know him are saying. ...

First of all, you need to get your terms straight. The word you are looking for is "libel" and not slander.

Secondly, the only claims that have been made are that the doctor waited until one week before surgery to announce office policy changed and fees need to be paid before surgery. Is this untrue?

Thirdly, the only confrontational post has been made against you, for your less than honest description of the events. For the doctor to be upset about "libel" then you would have to be from the MD office. Hmmm.

You are making the doc look pretty bad here. I'd run away quickly if I were you, before the doc actually does see this thread.

Wasa, Thank you so much for standing up for me. I believe this is the OM that gave out personal information. I have not told any lies... ONLY the truth. I can't tell you how hard it was to walk out .... being only days away from my surgery. The OM was mad at me b/c I complained about how slow it was taking to get my gall bladder surgery done. I was in PAIN and couldn't even get the office to return my phone calls. I guess that should have been a sign then. Then, when I went for my pre-op for the gall bladder surgery, the hospital actually called their office b/c I was at the pre-op 3 hours early and had no idea why I was having to wait for 2 hours to be seen. The Dr.s office had told me to go to the hospital at 11 but my pre-opt wasn't until 2. I told the Dr. about this and how the OM had argued with me. I felt she had it out for me from that point on. She has a problem with being wrong and I'm sure got a lot of satisfaction from my walking out. You are right, I NEVER said how much it was. And, again, I could have come up with the money but for them to wait 7 days before surgery and say come up with this or no surgery. I have let people walk on me my whole life but to me, this was the OM finding a way to get back at me for complaining. If she can live with that, I can live without the surgery. Again, thanks for standing up for me. It made me cry.

PC...

If I were you I would find a way to get a copy of this thread to the doc and not through the OM.

She claims there is slander here. Slander is verbal, libel is written. For someone to slander this doc it would have to be verbal. That means in the office.

The person seems to have much more info that you posted. That tells me it is someone from the office. Her own claims are that this is slander. Again, that's verbal and not written.

I'd be pitching a fit.

Do you have any emails from the office? If you do, check the IP address. IP addresses can be verified here on LBT as well. Same IP... it's the office.

Go get 'em.

usetbfat,

You wrote:

I would hope that if someone was saying lies about me,that someone out there would stand up for me.

Name ONE lie I told.

I'll bet it will be real easy for you to show this to Dr. Mejias since you work with him every day. Laurend was smart enough to figure you out. The TRUTH always comes out. If you knew me you'd know that I'm a good person and what you put into motion was a bad thing. "End of discussion".