Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been failing miserably at my pre op diet. I do well all day but then have eaten cake, drank alcohol, had crackers, etc. my surgery is in 6 days! Should I cancel!?

In my opinion there are two reasons the pre op diet is so important. 1. Health, smaller liver, easier surgery, and health benefits. 2. Are we ready to get healthy, change our relationship with food and learn to control our food addictions.

I would call your surgeon's nurse and discuss it with them, but maybe you aren't quite ready to make the commitment needed for success.

I'm on the pre-diet right now, my stomach is growling and I know how tough it is to say NO, but we must.

Good luck, I am sure you are not alone!

Are these items readily available to you? It'll be easier to not have them on hand. Unless you're going out to get them. ??? If you cannot control your relationship with food now, how will it be post-op? You've got the rest of your pre-op to prove you are ready. Give the next six days the best of you and make it happen. I would highly encourage you to talk with a professional about it as well.

6 minutes ago, lolo85 said:

Thank you! I just downloaded this app, so thankful for it! I have no family support and I live alone so that makes it harder but I want to try to use this group as my accountability. I saw you can get a buddy or mentor?

We're all here to encourage and cheer you on! Just stay close, keep us updated and ask away! 😊

Are these items readily available to you? It'll be easier to not have them on hand. Unless you're going out to get them. ??? If you cannot control your relationship with food now, how will it be post-op? You've got the rest of your pre-op to prove you are ready. Give the next six days the best of you and make it happen. I would highly encourage you to talk with a professional about it as well.

I have been in therapy for 15 years and nutrition and binge eating specific for 2. I canceled this surgery 4 times over 5 years... I have Snacks on hand for my toddler.

This makes me sad because so many of us, and I'm sure you too, have had to jump through so many hoops (financing, insurance, 6 months diet supervision, etc) to get to the point of approval. It would be a shame for it to all go to waste. Maybe make an appointment with your psychiatrist and nutritionist to see why you are having these issues. Good luck and I hope your find a way to proceed and be successful.

Just now, lolo85 said:

I have been in therapy for 15 years and nutrition and binge eating specific for 2. I canceled this surgery 4 times over 5 years... I have Snacks on hand for my toddler.

Then I think you must be the professional. 😊 You can do this hon. I believe you can and will.

I understand about the Snacks. I think I gained some of my weight from my kid's snacks over the years. Although I have them on hand, it's easier for me to say no now. You can do this too. But the biggest thing we could do not only for ourselves, but for our little ones,(mine are 7 and 3) is to incorporate healthier snacks for them too. It's a go here but it's slow adjusting. I totally get ya.

30 minutes ago, lolo85 said:

Thank you! I just downloaded this app, so thankful for it! I have no family support and I live alone so that makes it harder but I want to try to use this group as my accountability. I saw you can get a buddy or mentor?

Hi, It is very hard! My surgery is April 6. Hoping to stay good till then! I can be your buddy if you like?

1 hour ago, lolo85 said:

I have been failing miserably at my pre op diet. I do well all day but then have eaten cake, drank alcohol, had crackers, etc. my surgery is in 6 days! Should I cancel!?

The struggle is real. I can completely understand. The struggle is real. I am an emotional, compulsive overeater. I realized that each time I have lost a significant amount of weight is when I was in college or had several months off of work. It is so hard to do with a stressful career. I keep wanting to reward myself with food after a stressful day and a walk in the park or a good book isn't the same quick fix as a piece of chocolate cake or a glass or bottle of wine. I COMPLETELY get it. My surgery is not until June 14th. This is far away or around the corner depending on how you looks at it. I have not been perect on my "diet" but I am doing better. I am trying to lose weight before my required pre op diet and I certainly don't want to gain any weight. We have to decide what we want the most. I live alone too and with no family where I live. It is worth it to me but I think the pre op diet is one of the ultimate tests of our willpower and readiness. However, I have yet to go through it! You want your surgery to be successful and safe. I completely get it though. Keep us updated on wht you decide.

Hi, sorry you're struggling with your pre op diet. I too cheated but made sure it was with raw veggies, salad or other v low cal items. I got bored with the shakes but I still lost 10lbs in my 12 day pre op period. I agree with Jacinta. I think you're self sabotaging so you can cancel your op. I would advise talking to your surgeon and if he thinks he can still go ahead, do it. You won't regret it and and it will turn your life around. Never again will you have to go through this battle with your conscience and will power on this scale ever again. Good luck

I'm sorry you're struggling. It's definitely hard. I'm on day 10 of my diet, and while it has gotten much easier in the last few days, I still have to fight my cravings. This morning I came thisclose to having a donut, I even justified it to myself saying how good I've been, and that one little donut wouldn't hurt...but then I asked myself if the donut would be worth potentially having a more difficult surgery or recovery, and that gave me the strength to say no.

As others have said, maybe you should check in with your doctor to see if they want you to postpone, but try not to beat yourself up over your mistakes, and make a commitment to start fresh. Are you allowed to have sugar free popsicles or Jello? They have been my lifeline when I get cravings. Not as satisfying as a donut or ice cream (or a glass of wine), but it helps.

19 hours ago, Janus41 said:

Hi, It is very hard! My surgery is April 6. Hoping to stay good till then! I can be your buddy if you like

My surgery is the 6th too! I think you're the only other person I've seen whose surgery is the same day as mine! :)