Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First fill during surgery - NO NO NO

I finally found out why I felt like crap the past few days. It's day 3 since my surgery and I had lots of energy, but just couldn't keep anything more than about 2 sips of Water down. When I did take a big gulp of Water, it felt like my sternum had a blimp underneath it.

When I tried to drink/eat something else (pill, medicine, popsicle) I got the whole PB experience.

Well, turns out, my band was "filled" with 1.5cc of Fluid immediately following my procedure.

The nurse practitioner says that some surgeons like to do that and that the manufacturer recommends to put a little into the band when it's installed. However, it turned out that it was WAY too much restriction for me with all the post-op swelling.

The nurses at the clinic, however, say that they get those folks right back and are advising their surgeons to just leave them unfilled. It's just too much restriction.

I had a barium swallow today and it was just a swimming pool above the band. "Gee, let's try to take that fill out" the nurse said. Immediately she drew all 1.5 cc's out and it sounded like someone had popped a cork that barium swirled down so fast.

I felt SOOOOOOOOO good.

I didn't really have much to compare it to, but knew something wasn't totally right the first few days. I had gotten dehydrated and lost 13 pounds since Friday. That's nice, of course, but WAY too much to lose post-op.

So, now I'm rehydrating myself and can actually get some non-clear liquid down and even feasted on sugar-free pudding this afternoon.

Just an FYI to anyone to let them know that there's still some confusion on the surgeon's part. They let me go home Friday without a barium swallow which is the surgeon's preference also. While I appreciated getting out of there a little faster, it would have saved me some pain and some potential serious complications.

So, after a nap, I"m happy to report I'm starting to feel alive again. Day 4 is going to really be great!!! (Plus, I'll still take the 13 pound drop... not the healthiest way to do it, but I'll take it!!)

Wow, I bet you feel better. My doc didn't fill me for 4 months after surgery. By then, I was really needing a fill..!!! The good thing is that I had allot of swelling so I wasn't too ravenously hungry the first couple of months. Geez, I hope this gets easier for you from here on out. Nothing worse than feeling overfilled...OWWWW.

The manufacturer is suggesting it is okay to put a small fill in the (I think) AP band but NO other band. Do you have a 10cc band?

I see no reason to put anything in any band until after someone has healed. And I have to tell you, there is NO excuse for not doing a barium swallow after surgery. None.

I hope you are feeling better. Take it very easy, stick to liquids until you heal. Rest and feel better!!

I had surgery Friday and my surgeon didn't do a swallow, she said she is confident the placement is good and prefers to do the first swallow at the time of the first fill. My fill appt is in a month. :)

Melanie

The manufacturer is suggesting it is okay to put a small fill in the (I think) AP band but NO other band. Do you have a 10cc band?

I see no reason to put anything in any band until after someone has healed. And I have to tell you, there is NO excuse for not doing a barium swallow after surgery. None.

I hope you are feeling better. Take it very easy, stick to liquids until you heal. Rest and feel better!!

I did the barium swallow the day after surgery. I was really glad because that let me know that everything was alright. I am so happy. When i got up today i found that i have lost 30 pounds!!!Yea!!!....happy.....happy....Donna

I did the barium swallow the day after surgery. I was really glad because that let me know that everything was alright. I am so happy. When i got up today i found that i have lost 30 pounds!!!Yea!!!....happy.....happy....Donna

Congrats on the 30lbs!!!!

You went to Dr. Z... I've heard lots of good things about him. Glad to hear he does the barium test after surgery, more good stuff about him.

I think it is not that uncommon to receive a fill during the actual surgery. My surgeon actually filled my 10cc band with 4cc during my surgery. He said that it was necessary in order to get the band tight enough around my stomach. I actually didn't feel much restriction at all after the first couple of days of post-op swelling! I then received my first post-op fill 4 weeks later. He also does not routinely do a swallow test until the first post-op fill under fluro, unless the pt is having a problem. It's worked great for me- smooth sailing since band date Feb. 23 and about 10 pounds from goal!

Mary

My doctor fills them during the surgery too, but he puts a little amount.. he said to make sure they don't leak by time you start doing fills. He said I had .5cc in mine, but I tell you.. until they fixed my port recently, I wasn't feeling the restriction unless I did something like ate a big bite of bagel without good chewing.

But, my doctor does do barium swallows the next day before you leave the hospital. I think that should be required, especially if the doctor if filling it while you're under!!

Thanks everyone for your responses - it is a 10cc band. I honestly didn't know there were different ones. I am not feeling as restricted today but am still sipping liquids. Might try a milkshake tomorrow. I'm betting I"m still really swollen - I've been fairly active, walking, etc. That's not going to help the swelling - but I'd rather be active than the other way around.