Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Over 4 Months Post Op: Severe Constipation and Pain

Hello,

I made a post a few weeks ago about having nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and Constipation. Had some feedback on it. Since then, I have been to the ER again with those symptoms and I've also followed up with my surgeon two times, the latest being yesterday.

When I saw my surgeon yesterday, he said that my latest abdominal x-ray showed that I was still full of stool. He wanted me to go home and do an enema and drink a bottle of Magnesium Citrate (again) to cleanse me out. He told me we were going to try something new (I had been taking Miralax and Milk of Magnesia for constipation). The Miralax just wasn't doing anything for me and the MOM helps me go a little, but it still leaves me full of stool for the most part, as seen on previous x-rays. So today I will be starting a medication called Amitiza, which is for constipation and IBS. I am to take that for two weeks and then I have a follow up with my surgeon to see where we are.

I have seen posts here concerning constipation after surgery, but I have been struggling with this issue for over 4 months, and now it is worse than ever.

Has anyone had constipation that caused severe abdominal pain, vomiting and nausea besides me? How far post op were you and what did you do to get relief? Or, does anybody just have some suggestions for me in general? This problem is so debilitating that I have been in bed with a heating pad on my stomach for 3 weeks now.

Thank you for your help/advice and input in advance.

Edited by mylighthouse

Sorry you are going through this! I had severe Constipation after a c-section nearly six years ago. I'm nine days post op and have not been constipated, the Protein pushes right on through

I've had the same problem and taken the sane thing. AMITZA DOES WORK BUT THEY USUALLY PRESCRIBE WITH Reglan. Ask your doctor. Yes, it mad me very nauseous because my stool was to hard to pass. Praying for you. I'm in the same situation

@MissymayorThank you. I just got home this afternoon from a 2 day stay at the hospital. They did a camera down the throat and one up the other end (colonoscopy) today. Then the gastro doctor met me in recovery, told me everything looked good, but gave me a diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome, Constipation and also said that the severe abdominal pain is likley because of those things as well as bad scar tissue and adhesions from my previous open abdominal surguries.

For now, I am to keep taking the Amitiza and then do a follow up in two weeks for more info/insight into the IBS issue.

I am taking Zofran for the nausea. It is helping.

Thanks again for your response. :) Sorry to hear you have had the bad constipation problem and pain too... I hope you are doing better now.