Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What can I expect the first 4-6 weeks?

I have been 100% approved with all the tests for a sleeve procedure. Now I have to decide when to have the operation done. I am always coming up with some excuse to put it off but I am calling BS on myself and want to proceed.

I do have an important family function coming up (my mothers 101st birthday party) with family flying in from all over the U.S. I can have the procedure approx. 4 weeks prior to the party or put it off until after the function.

My question is, for the average person, what am I to expect after 4 weeks? Can I function enough to enjoy the party and be social or am I going to be grumpy, uncomfortable and not 100% of myself? I want to enjoy myself and interact with my family or should I put it off until after the party. I will not have a problem with the food portion of the function, I just want to be enough of myself to enjoy.

It's hard to say for sure since everyone reacts differently. At 4 weeks you should be ready to return to most foods (depending on your doctor/plan of course). At 4 weeks out I felt probably 90% back to my old self. Was still fairly fatigued from time to time but all in all was doing good at that point. I would be more concerned with potentially overdoing it in the weeks leading up to the event if you're hosting it, that is unless it's not a major formality of getting ready for it. If you're simply attending the party for a few hours then IMO you'd be fine.

One thing to consider is whether you have to do a 2 week liquid phase. If you postpone your surgery you may want to push it out a littler further so that you aren't in that phase during the party. Is it any issue that people in your family know you're having surgery? It might generate some questions/looks if you aren't eating anything during the party.

I am exactly 6 weeks out today. Physically I feel about 90% back to normal, emotionally I have a problem watching others enjoy food that I cannot. I simply cannot be in the room with them. I did not think this would be an issue for me but it is. Of course, I am not saying you will have the same problem, just sharing my experience.

I walked a mall 4 days after the sleeve. I was on no pain pills and spent 8 hours in the hospital. You will not be an invalid. Go and enjoy without food.

I would do it afterward.

You have no idea how you are going to heal. I was lucky and healed well. When I was 4 weeks post op I had to do a long weekend drive of over 900 miles. I got through it, and I had the energy for it, but look back it was really hard and I was pushing it.

At 4 weeks you will be able to eat, but not much, and probably not anything at a celebration. I would just enjoy the celebration with my family and then have surgery.

There is no reason to add extra stress to you life if you don't have to. Dealing with family is stressful enough.

I would postpone it until after the celebration. Most people don't even notice that you are not eating so that's a non issue.

My concern for you would be issues with recovery fatigue, hormones making you struggle emotionally, feelings of regret because you feel you can't participate fully. These feelings happen and it would be a good idea to not have to deal with them during such a momentous occasion. Being at home in your comfy place is the best place to experience your recovery.

101!!! That's amazing. Enjoy yourself.

Take care