Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Staying OverNight at TLBC!!!

Hi there,

Just wondered if anyone out there has had to stay overnight at the TLBC? I'm being banded on October 18, 2007 and I'm freaking out because I have never had surgery! I have to stay the night! I have started the Pre-Op Diet and am only on day 3. God Help Me!!! lol!

I was also wondering if the band ever slips or erodes, do we pay again to have it re-installed if that's what we opt to do? or will Dr. Yau fix the issue without having to pay again? Sorry, this is all pretty new to me!

I have not stayed overnight but have only heard good things from people who have. It's a simple surgery and I am happy I have done it. Can't say I love surgery but I would rather be asleep for it lol!

My understanding is that a slipped band willl just be fixed no charge, but erosion is treated with band removal. After the stomach has healed you can opt to have a new band installed, and you just pay for the price of the band, which is about $5,000. That's what I was told at TLBC.

Go on, have some more cottage cheese! heehee

Thanks so much Ginger! So you had a good experience with Dr. Yau? He seemed very nice at my consult! in fact, all of the staff are great.... congrats on being banded! maybe we will run into one another one day! I can't believe how many people are banded or are going to be banded... where does everyone come up with the 16,000.00$$$... people must think we're rich! lol hahahha very funny!

Kim

... where does everyone come up with the 16,000.00$$$... people must think we're rich! lol hahahha very funny!

Kim

Kim I don't really expect that everyone thinks we're rich - far from it, but those of us who have made the decision to invest in our health and the success that the band will provide, have made very conscious decisions and worked hard to put financing in place. We have gone to family members, put off the purchase of new cars/houses, re-financed lines of credit and mortgages. I don't particularily care what "people think"! I do care about the results the band will allow me to see.

I guess you have hit a nerve Kim - I don't look on any of this as a laughing matter - it is a huge investment, both financially and emotionally. Good luck.

Cindy

Hi Cindy,

I'm sorry if I've offended you. I meant that if people think that I am rich because I am able to do this, then that is pretty funny. I am far from it and it has taken a lot of committment to do so. I hope you will accept my apology. I don't really care what other people think either... just making a joke... i find humour helpful at times! I guess it's not for everyone.

Kim.

Kim I too apologize - I get frustrated with the idea that people think they have the right to judge whether or not I or anyone else can "afford" to do this. I did not mean to put a damper on you or the thread.

I am still quite sensitive with the idea that some tough choices had to be made in order to get banded. This is not unique to my situation - very few people are "rich" - if humour is the way for you to handle tough situations, then go for it. Once again, my response to your post was far too harsh. I wish you only the very best on your weight loss journey. Take care.

Cindy:embarassed:

no worries cindy... thats awesome that you have already lost 29.2 lbs... i've been doing the pre-op diet for 5 days and have lost about 6lbs... we'll see how this pans out! goodLuck on your journey as well....

I have not stayed overnight but have only heard good things from people who have. It's a simple surgery and I am happy I have done it. Can't say I love surgery but I would rather be asleep for it lol!

My understanding is that a slipped band willl just be fixed no charge, but erosion is treated with band removal. After the stomach has healed you can opt to have a new band installed, and you just pay for the price of the band, which is about $5,000. That's what I was told at TLBC.

Go on, have some more cottage cheese! heehee

Awesome information. Im feeling enthusiastic and less scared about my coming consultation.

I stayed overnight at the hospital and i am glad i did.It gives them time to make sure you are ok and ready to go home. Best of luck on getting your band. Donna

Hey B Chick, I start my pre-op tomorrow. I am being banded on Oct 19 at TLBC. Maybe I will be see you leave! Goodluck. How are you doing with the diet? I am having my last supper tonight! lol

Hi Crispy.... pre-op is going good.. but im getting sick of yogurt and cottage cheese... even with the chicken breast once per day... although it is super helpful.. the best if the breakfast.. i mix one cup of milk, lotsa Silouette yogurt and ice cubes and blend it... and voila... a huge shake! you will get hunger pangs.. but you get used to it.. i am doing 3 week preop.. god help me, i have 2 weeks left... have you heard about other foods we can have?

Hi Kim, just reading your thread, I was banded on September 21st in Moncton New Brunswick, I didn't stay the nite but I think I should have, just as a precaution. if you do have to stay don't sweat it , it is a good thing. Best of luck. I can't wait to hear how you get along. Sherrylynn

HI LapBandMe... luv the name! Are you being banded at TLBC also?

Hi BalsamChick,

Im having my first consultation at the end of October there.