Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dependable Vehicles?

I know this is off the banding subject but my car has been totalled and I'm stuck looking for a dependable vehicle at a reasonable cost. I am going to go look at 2 Ford Taurus's (2000 and a 2001) today. I used to own an 89 Taurus and it lasted forever but occassionally had some minor but expensive problems. The newer ones sound very nice but wanted to get some opinions. People seem to love or hate them and there does seem to be some lemon ones out there. I personally loved my 94 nissan sentra and planned on having it at least a few more years. It seems like anything quality like Honda's, Toyota's or Subaru's either have a ton of miles on them or are out of my price range. Please give me some feedback.... I was hoping to get my mechanic to look at anything I decide on but he has a personal vandetta against fords and I would feel funny having him look at one. My husband has had a 99 ford pick up for a few years and hasn't had any problems... Anyway thanks for your advice. Teresa

I've pretty much only ever driven European cars (SAAB's, Volvos and now a Beetle). I love them, but they're expensive, and horribly expensive to repair (which is why I learned some rudimentary car repair back when we were living on one income with a 15 year old car). The one Japanese 'reliable' car I bought -- a Subaru -- lasted only a year before giving up the ghost. I hated every moment of driving it; it was a total piece of junk. Other folks, though? Especially here in Alaska? Love their Subarus.

Teresa, you're looking at used? Have you considered buying from a dealership? It's a little bit more but you usually can get a good warranty; we did that with our Dodge Caravan and it definitely came in handy. Our van is a 92 and I've been fairly happy with it. We've sunk a couple grand into it since buying it five years ago but it gets a LOT of use. And since we had the warranty, at least some of our expenses were paid for by the dealer.

I don't know anything about Ford's, other than trucks; everybody in Alaska who drives a truck, seems to drive a Ford and loves it. Hopefully someone with more up close and personal experience can help you more than I can.

I have a Honda Civic hatchback that is very reliable. You can buy it from me if you want it! :)

My mom has a Taurus that has served her well, but my Ford Ranger -- which I dearly loved-- crapped out at just under 100,000 miles. I rebuilt it because I loved it and then the transmission went out. Geez! We also have a Toyota Tacoma pickup that is going great.

Have you looked at Consumer Reports to check on reliability? That's why we got the Toyota, even though I really wanted another Ranger.

My first car was a Hyundai Excel (many moons ago.) I wanted to buy American, so I went to Lincoln Ford Hyundai thinking it was a Ford Hyundai - goes to show you how much I know about cars. But that cheap foreign car served me well. I drove it like it was a 4-wheel-drive race car; up sides of mountains, through rivers and streams, mud whomping, etc. I beat the hell out of it then just disposed of it like a Bic lighter.

I got rid of my Pontiac Sunfire last year, and I really miss that car. It was really, really good to me plus reasonably priced and very roomy.

I'll share my Girl's Guide to Car Shopping: 1) How cute do you look in the driver's seat? 2) Are there driver and passenger lighted mirrors for checking lip gloss?

3) Tunes - gotta have tunes. 4) Sunroof - let the sun shine in. 5) Is there a place to hold your purse?

I love my Chrysler PT Cruiser. Before that, I had a Toyota Camry that was extremely reliable. There are tons of used Camrys out there, and if a medium-large sedan suits you, I'd certainly recommend it. Consumer Reports has good information on-line and in their print issues regarding reliability of various used cars.

More info on the PT, please. I don't personally like them for myself, but nothing is about me (it's about my dogs.) Looks like a nice, roomy doggy car. Is it?

Yeah, I know... I need to go check out the consumer guide.... I don't want to buy a full membership so I'll go see what the local bookstore has to offer. Those Taurus's were nice looking. Both looked brand new and drove like champs though it is a bit like driving a tug boat compared to my little Nissan. I used to drive one so I know how to handle them. The 2000 has 68,000 miles and the 2001 has 79,000. The 89' Ford Taurus I used to own had just under 300,000 miles when I sold it for $500 to some Hispanics. It still ran okay too. Never had a new engine, transmission or anything but the dang heater core did go out around 250,000 miles and cost about $500 to replace. Most of it in labor just getting to it. They like to bury the most simple parts way down deep in the car. The computer stuff went out a couple of times too and cost a fortune to replace. Michelle definitely please talk to your husband. A Harley just would not fit my mop, vacuume, rags and dogs. I have looked at the Toyotas and Hondas but either they have a huge amount of miles on them or they are outrageously priced. I got approved for a $6000 loan and that is the highest I want to spend. I just want something that will last 2-4 years until I am teaching. I really did not want another car payment at all but I think I'll have to give that idea up for now. The stinkin insurance (theirs) has only offered me $2000 for my car and I owe $1600 still. I of course refused that offer and went to a local dealership who had the same year, make and model of my car with similar miles and they were asking $5995 and it was in much worst condition both mechanically and interiorly. I took pictures and faxed all that too the "total loss" guy but haven't heard back from him since. Anyway keep the advice coming, Thanks Teresa

I forgot I had a Nissan before the Honda. Very nice car but I had to sell it to get an automatic when I had carpal tunnel surgery. You should be able to get a nice car for $6000. Hope they come back with an offer of that much. Hold out for it. :(

Thanks Whipple!!! I like DEPENDABLE and BORING!!! I am always accused of driving like a grandma. Its because I drove like a crazy woman between the ages of 18 and 21, got many speeding tickets and a few minor fender-benders. My insurance was insanely expensive during those years and I never want to repeat them... Seriously both of those Taurus models were lovely. I cringe at the gas bill compared to my little Nissan but they seem like they are in good shape otherwise. The engine compartments were both very clean, tires were good on both of them, they both drove well, etc. The 2000 model had more bells and whistles and 11,000 fewer miles on it but it also had a couple of minor dings. I just spent the whole evening looking at consumer report books on cars and they all said the taurus was average on dependability, extremely good on safety but also a little boring. I test drove an Olds. Achieva this evening w/ 109,000 miles. It seemed to run really good and was fairly attractive but definitely not on par with the taurus for comfort and newness. Oldsmobiles got below average ratings in the consumer guide's too. All of the Toyotas, Honda's and Subaru's I have seen with under 100,000 miles are all being sold for $6,000 to $11,000. I feel like I will be lucky to get a few extra thousand from my wrecked car after its all paid off. So far they only offered me $2000 so after payoff I would only get $400 to spend on a new car. I'm like a badger though and am not giving up about getting a higher offer. I don't know what I'll get for medical yet. My neck is still swollen and sore. I got a prescription for 8 massage therapy sessions the other day so I am hoping to get in there and get those started. Anyway thanks for the replies! Teresa

My mom has a Camry that use to be my daughter n law's and she loves it. Sits a little low to the ground for me, I'm a suv person, but she gets good gas mileage and has had wonderful service. All she has to do is fill it up and get the oil changed every so often.

Teresa, whatever you decide on, pay a mechanic to thoroughly check it out - before you buy it. I've been looking for a dependable, cheap (apparently those 2 words don't go together!) car for my son for the last couple of months. I think we've met most of the sleezy used car dealers in Houston. And for some reason, there are no "for sale by owners" any where to be found right now. I pulled a Carfax report on several. One VW Jetta seemed great. But the mechanic found it had been seriously damaged (wrecked). The Carfax said it was a "Certified" car. Bull!!! So we're still looking. Our mechanic likes GMs, says Fords are very good, but a little more expensive to work on. Take your time and don't get "strong armed" into something. Hope you're feeling better!