Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Depressed

Hi everyone,

I wanted to start off by saying that i really enjoy reading your threads ive been doing that for a while now but i feel kind of depressed because my surgery was on Sep 21st and ive had 3 fills but i am not restricted at all and i dont know why i really can eat everything i think the fills just didnt kick in and i dont know what to do any advice?

Hi Victoria,

Have you had your fills under a fluoroscope or in your doc's office with no x-ray? Many doctors doing fills without the benefit of x-ray equipment like to give tiny, incremental amounts so as to "sneak up" on the proper restriction. This can be frustrating indeed for the patient, but it's probably the safest way to go if you're not able to see the effects of a fill under an x-ray machine.

Have you asked your doctor what level of restriction he expects you to be at? This may be normal for his practice and methodology. Can you find out more for us?

When you have your fills do they suck up what is already in the band to make sure there are no leaks? I have had one fill and no restriction yet, but I am guessing this is normal. I doubt that it should be normal after 3 fills. I would definately make sure that the Fluid is in the band and have you doctor look at it under flouro. To make sure you aren't having any troubles beyond needing more of a fill. What size band do you have? Some people have larger band types and it takes more to tighten them. These are a lot of things I would ask my doc. Let your doc know that it is not working with you and be persistent with them. You spent a lot of time and money on this band for it not to work!

Kim

Thank you guys for answeing :) Alex i think that they were under the x-ray machine but im going to go there and ask and try to know the sizes of the fills and Kim i dont know how large the band is but ill ask next time.

Make sure your doctor tells you verbally what amount he finds BEFORE doing the fill. They should always tell you what you have compared to the last fill, THEN inject more and tell you at what level you are when you finish. Remember, this is not an exact science, but you are as much in charge here as your doc. Don't rely on them to know everything. Knowledge is power where your health is concerned. Have him write this information down for you if you have a problem remembering what he tells you. Good luck! Don't give up. Sometimes it does take several fills before you notice restriction.

Good for you Victoria!! I don't feel hardly any restriction with my fill and it was done under flrouroscope but the dr. (not my regular surgeon) that did it put too much in at first so them took some out but when he pulled out the needle, saline sprayed everywhere so I am going to request that my surgeon do it the next time, even if I have to pay extra. But the most important thing I have to remember is that the band is not a fix all and I have a choice of eating the whole burger if my restriction isn't tight enough or putting it aside and allowing myself to feel my fullness. Just because you don't PB doesn't mean you aren't restricted.

Good luck to you and Chin UP!!

Thank you guys for answeing :) Alex i think that they were under the x-ray machine but im going to go there and ask and try to know the sizes of the fills and Kim i dont know how large the band is but ill ask next time.

Victoria, when they did your fill were you in a radiology lab with a big machine aimed at your midsection? Or were you in the doctor's office with nothing but you, him, and a big needle? It's hard not to know if you're being x-rayed. :D

Personally I don't worry too much about the actual amount of Fluid in my band at any given time. There's too much, not enough, and just right. There may be absolutely nothing wrong with your band and your doctor is deliberately filling it very slowly to give you time to adjust. Don't go all panicky on him before you find out what your ARE supposed to be feeling.

Victoria, what type of foods are you eating and what size portions? Are you focusing on hard Proteins first, then vegetables? These will "stick" with you and help you feel "full" longer. Eating soft foods will defeat the purpose of your band. Are you getting your daily waterload in? How about tracking your eating habits on fitday.com for a few days? It's free. Hang in there!

yeah then i was definitely under a x-ray :( and i eat more solids but what's scaring me is that i eat just like i used to before the surgery but the only difference is that my digestive system is way faster after the surgery.