Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should you tell?

Dreamchaser~ I also worry about being labeled as "the one who had that weight loss surgery". I live in a pretty small town and I know it's gonna happen. I have been coming to terms with it. The ones who might say that in a negative tone I guess I just don't really care about anyway. And if people look at me and say "that's the girl that has the lapband", well I hope it's cuz my butt is small and they are amazed.

My biggest fear in all of this is failure and that along with people's comments would just be awful. But we've got to put ourselves in the mindset of success. That we will do what it takes! We are doing this for ourselves and no one else.

I personally only told a handful of people and haven't decided if or when to tell others.

Foxytri~ I don't think it's selfish at all to focus on yourself right now- Your doing a great thing for yourself.

Sawdust~ Congrats on getting banded!!

Take Care All!!event.png

I have told all of my family, they are also very supportive. I have been blessed to have a really great set of friends, family and close co-workers. I have had weight issues my entire life, and finally I have found something that I can use to help me gain control for the first time in my life. I am waiting on my insurance approval, have already met all the requirements my doctor asked of me. I am soooo excited. I have found most people have already heard of the lap band, and believe it is a good thing. Good luck to all you new upcoming bandsters!!!!

Hi there,

This is such a personal choice. It depends on where you are in life and who you have around you. I did not waffle on this issue at this point in my life. For me the decision was to tell. I have "hidden" the fact when I have tried before. It bought me nothing. What has telling bought me?

~I have found out that 98% of the people I tell are supportive. 1% are neutral and express no opinion. Of course there is 1% that is less than positive and he is a gastric bypass who is less than a year into his journey.

~It has made me responsible and accountable for my success. I actually enjoy reporting how I am doing. I usually wait until asked.

~ I have found that I have been given several opportunites to talk about the band and educate people on what it is, how it differs from gastric bypass and how it is working for me.

All that said, it was my choice to blab. I don't live in a small town. The majority of my friends and family are positive people and truely want the best for me and believe I am on a path that will be successful. My whole attitude is different about this. It helps that I had to wait 18 months to get approved for it and did not back down from having it.

Each person has to make the choice for their situation.

Good luck!

Cheers,

MMT

Im in the same boat as most of you ,who if anyone should I tell. Well I decided to tell my husband,children,sisters and my pastor Ididnt want anyone on my husbands side to knowbecause he has 5brothers all who have always had skinny wives and 6 sisters that have never been fat a day in their lives they think all you have to be is disiplined and not eat after 40 years in this family believe me when Isay they would not support me so why put myself through it:think

Wow! Your husband has a huge family!!