Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 Months Post Op - Anyone else had sudden onset of nausea, vomiting or constipation?

Hello

I am exactly 4 months post op and about 2 weeks ago I started having some nausea and occasional vomiting after meals, as well as severe Constipation. I also cannot eat as much at mealtime as I have been eating the past month or so prior to 2 weeks ago.

The nausea comes after eating Breakfast, lunch and dinner.... but it does not come after eating a light snack such as several almonds or a little bit of hummus. If I eat about 2 ounces of Protein and a few bites of vegetables for lunch or dinner, then I always get the nausea and I sometimes vomit. I am only eating to the point where I start to feel full, I don't eat beyond when I start to get that sensation.

The severe constipation has also seemed to come along about 2 weeks ago. Since surgery, I have been on the constipated side, but in the last 2 weeks it has only gotten worse.

I went to the ER this past Thursday in the wee hours of the morning with severe abdominal and back pain. They ran lots of tests, did scans/ultrasound, etc and found that I was slightly dehydrated and that the pain was caused by constipation. The ER doctor prescribed for me some "Go Lightly"... it is spelled different than that, but that is how you pronounce it. I have been drinking it 2 times a day as prescribed, yet I have only gone once since Thursday, and that was this morning.

Tomorrow I will be calling my surgeon and hopefully will get an appointment for this week. In the meantime, I would like to know if anyone else has struggled with an onset of nausea/vomiting or constipation several weeks after their surgery. What did you do to help the problem?

Also, I had been taking Miralax and Milk of Magnesia before my trip to the ER this past week, but that wasn't even working anymore.

Thanks for your help/advice in advance.

Edited by mylighthouse

I had nausea after eating for 2 days. Had trouble eating anything too.. it disappeared as quickly as it came. I am 3 months post-op

@Middus thank you for the reply... glad your nausea didn't stick around long.

Hope they can help figure it out. Are you getting some fat in your diet? A bit could help lubricate things... coconut oil is usually good.

@Berry78 thank you, yes, I get some fat in my diet. I think I get a decent amount... thanks for the idea and I do have some coconut oil I could use a little more often.

After thinking about my current issues, I am beginning to wonder if they might be related to a large incisional hernia that I have. I just read on one of the medical sites where hernias can cause nausea, vomiting and bowel troubles.

I called my surgeon's office this morning and I have a 2:00 appointment for tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks again for the advice.

Update:

Had appointment with my surgeon yesterday, and he said the cause of my nausea, vomiting, etc is my severe Constipation.

Came home early afternoon and he had me drink the entire container of "Go Lightly" (like you would do before a colonoscopy).

Today I am left with severe stomach pain, but I took a muscle relaxer that the ER prescribed for stomach cramps and that has helped the pain tremendously.

My surgeon said that sometimes people will deal with quite a bit of constipation after sleeve surgery, and boy have I ever! Almost since day one and I am currently 4 months post op. My doctor wants me to go back to taking Miralax every day again.

Anyone else struggling with quite a bit of constipation after surgery? What did you do to help the problem?

Edited by mylighthouse

Did the go lightly do the trick? I figure I'll possibly be in the same boat. The Protein Shakes are causing problems preop for me. Guess I need to add a Fiber supplement.

Hope you get to feeling better!

@Berry78 yes, the Golytely (Go Lightly)... did the trick. But even after being cleaned out, I am still throwing up and having severe abdominal/back pain. Will be calling my doctor in the morning if I'm not feeling better by then.

Thank you and I hope that your preop problems with the Protein Shakes get resolved. Wish I had some advice for you on that issue, but I don't. Adding fiber is a good idea though.