Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

As I approach making a decision one way or another, there are two things that I am concerned with, well actually tons but those can come later.

I am a little freaked out about Vitamins. I already take a Multivitamin and it is no big deal. I buy regular vitamins that deliver 1000% of the daily requirement of everything. My nutrition person says those are fine. I pay like 20 buck for 9 billion pills. I see others talking spend $150 a month for vitamins. Am I missing something?

The second question is sort of related. I have to take a medicine that is a horse pill. It is pretty big. I have no issue taking it now but I am worried that I will be able to take it right after the procedure and going forward. It is an anxiety med so, yeah, I'll need it!

Thanks, Astro.

After surgery, I found that I could no longer swallow large or medium size pill and Vitamins. I used a pill splitter or a pill crusher. The worse was the large Calcium horsepills. After around 2 months I was able to again swallow these.

After my RNY gastric bypass surgery, I had to take a variety of Vitamins. This is because my body no longer has the ability to make vitamins from the food that I eat. Thus this is a requirement for the rest of my life. These Vitamin requirements are specific and your surgeon's office will provide you with a list. This is definitely more than your Multivitamin will give you. Your body may not be able to absorb some chemistries or delivery methods. For example any Gummy Vitamin will not work properly. Around once a year, you will undergo blood work which will focus on your vitamin levels. Therefore any deficiencies will be noted and your vitamin regiment may be changed to match your current needs.

Medicine is designed with various layers so that as they react with the acid in your stomach, they will dissolve and be absorbed into your body properly. Therefore crushing and splitting medicine may have a downside. Since your stomach will be a lot smaller after surgery, this process may pose a problem. You may need to work this problem out with your surgeon's office.

I am going with the liquid, chewables & chews (a combination of the three). I have problems with my big pills so after my bypass I will switch to them. I do not want to put myself in the position of swallowing big pills or any pills after surgery. Celebrate Vitamins & Wellesse liquid Calcium citrate & Bariatric Advantage are the brands I will use. Matter of fact I will stick to the liquid,chewables and chews. Yes, they do add up in price. Being that they are bariatric gives me comfort because they are tailor made. Or at least I know what is recommended and take them according to my needs

CW: 319 SD:May 2017

GW: 128

You could look at Patches for the first few months but need to check this is okay with your team.

Thanks all. Sounds like Vitamins are more involved than I understand at this point. Great learning. I guess it is better than spending the money on BP, cholesterol and Diabetes meds!