Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New guy - banding in October

Hello Everyone,

50 year old guy here with around 85lbs to loose. Yesterday I scheduled my surgery for Oct 26. Not nervous yet but I'm sure as the day comes closer I'll have a few jitters about the whole process.

I have an 11 year old son and 9 year old quadruplets. You'd think they would run the weight right off me but so far that has not happened. The physical problems contributed to the weight began to mount up and I figured if I wanted to the kids into adulthood I had better do something.

Saw where a few people were worried that this procedure wouldn't work for them. Is that possible? I know it's not a magic bullet and people still have to watch what they eat but people have to eat less with the band...right? I had the same "what if it doesn't work for me" thoughts but chalked it up to fear.

Dave B

Hi Dave B..... Good for you in making the best decision to get the lap band. With 5 children, you sure do need to be active and healthy for them...

Hop on over to the "Monthly Support Groups" thread and go to the October 07 thread and you will find over 80 other people who will be getting their bands in October too... We welcome all...

Good luck to you on your journey...

Hey Dave, I added you to the TENaciousTENS group! You have an Oct 26th buddy: FreeBigBenNow

Welcome Dave! The band will help you lose weight if it is properly adjusted and if you follow the guidelines. I think everyone who has been banded has gone through "buyer's remorse" before and/or after surgery. Just focus on your why you want to be thin...

Good luck and keep us posted.

Bruce

First let me say:welcome: and congrats on your date.

Second...... brother you have your hands full!!! I bet your life is so full of love with all those little ones. How fun for you.

Hello Everyone,

50 year old guy here with around 85lbs to loose. Yesterday I scheduled my surgery for Oct 26. Not nervous yet but I'm sure as the day comes closer I'll have a few jitters about the whole process.

I have an 11 year old son and 9 year old quadruplets. You'd think they would run the weight right off me but so far that has not happened. The physical problems contributed to the weight began to mount up and I figured if I wanted to the kids into adulthood I had better do something.

Saw where a few people were worried that this procedure wouldn't work for them. Is that possible? I know it's not a magic bullet and people still have to watch what they eat but people have to eat less with the band...right? I had the same "what if it doesn't work for me" thoughts but chalked it up to fear.

Dave B

Hi Dave, I was 49 when I was banded. I wrote this a long time ago, maybe it will help:

. "Is it normal to be REALLY NERVOUS and wonder if I will fail at this?" Yes. All of us are lifetime failures at dieting and keeping off weight. That reality makes us question whether or not the Lap-Band will work for us, when we have failed so many times before. The Lap-Band is DIFFERENT, because it puts a physical LIMIT on how much we can hurt ourselves. Also, anyone who isn't nervous about having MAJOR SURGERY is very unusual.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I appreciate the encouragement.

Re: the Quads - Boy...wish I had been about 10 years younger to handle that one but we have to take life as it comes at us.