Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr.Abkin/Dr.Bertha

I just wanted to post my experience so far...I attened a seminar on Wednesday night for Dr. Abkin and Dr. Bertha and let me tell you I was impressed. First off it was held at a local hotel meeting room so there was space for about 100 or so attendees. Now most of the seminar was a repeat for me as I have in the past year been to 2 other info seminars and I have been researching lap band for over a year but none the less I was impressed. Marco the OR nurse the first spoke was very informative and answered all questions. They also had 2 guest speakers that have already had surgery and while I was disappointed that neither had the lap band they were also very informative for those people looking to do gastric bypass. The next person to speak was Josephine who is the insurance whiz. She answered a bunch of questions and gave lots of info regarding which insurances require what and all that good info. And then finally the doctors came up to speak. Dr. Abkin, Dr. Bertha as well as Dr. Garrison are very informative and open to all question and after the "formal" part of the seminar was over they stayed an answered individual questions if you had any. And THEN when you walked out of the main room there were tables set up so you can go ahead and make your consult appointment with one of the surgeons and also make appointments for a nutisionist and a psychiatrist (sp?). You also walk out with the paper work to get your lab work done and a form for your PCP to fill out. They basically have everything right there for you and I couldn't ask for anything more!!!! Everyone involved was more then helpful and willing to answer any question that you may have!!

The previous 2 seminars I attended was held in the doctor's waiting room and you were basically sitting on the person next to you as the doctor just stood in front speaking about all the general info. They would tell you what was required as for as other test but I feel you were left to your own to sort it all out. Now I know we are all adults and should be able to handle making out own appointments but with something like this some people dont know where to start. Even though the previous 2 seminars were smaller groups I didnt feel a connection with the doctors I felt more as if I was just another #. That is the main reason why I was looking for another doctor and I am glad I came across Dr. Bertha and Dr. Abkin with a little help for the LBT group - THANKS!!!

I have my consult on 10/17 with Dr. Bertha and I can't wait!!!!!

I just wanted to share my experience with everyone and maybe help fellow NJ folks with finding a doctor!!

:clap2:

Dear Jetti,

I am going to a seminar on October 11th. I am determined to have the lap-band surgery. I hope you will write about your consult appointment with Dr. Bertha. How did his partner seem from the seminar? I may have to make an appointment with Dr. Abkin. I work in a school and it is hard for me to take a lot of days off. I am trying to make all my appointments during NJ Teachers Convention. Unfortunatly, Dr. Bertha is only in on Wednesdays and I have Tuesday and Thursday and Friday off.

I hope all goes well for you.

Cutiepie

cutiepie

I will definitely post about my consult - I can't wait I am so excited to finally reach this point since I have been researching for over a year I never thought this would finally come. Both Dr.Bertha and Dr. Abkin were both very nice and helpful during the seminar. I also have a hard time geting time off of work because I work a full time and a part time job. I just pick wednesdays because I am normally off on wednesday nights and I was hoping to get a late appointment but they were all taken. So I just said with wednesday and made the appointment for my lunch hour since the office is not to far from my job and they said the consult appointment is about 45 minutes. That was really the only reason I choose to make my consult with Dr. Bertha and not Dr. Abkin.

Good luck on your journey and if you have any questions I am sure you can find answers on this board. I am not banded and I am certainly not an expert but I will be glad to answer any questions you have.

cutiepie

i just wanted to give you an update - i went for my consult with DR Bertha yesterday and I was very pleased with him and the entire office staff. I had all of my test done and brought all of my copies with me so that made things so much easier. after speaking with the doctor I went and spoke with Carla - one of the girls that handles the insurance and surgery scheduling - and she set me up for surgery on Nov 6th!!!! I almost fell off my chair when she said the date because it is so soon but why wait any longer?? I still have to wait for my insurance approval but they will take care of all of that and I was told I should have an answer by the week of the 29th. Next week I go to the pre-op class which is 3 hours and I assume they go over everything needed.

have you made an appointment with the office yet?

Hi ladies,

My husband and I were banded by Dr. Abkin (dh in April, me in July)...We really like him and are happy with our decision to use that practice. There are a number of other ALS patients here. I just met Dr. Bertha at my fill on Thursday...he is not quite as personable as Abkin, but was friendly and answered all of my questions...so no complaints about him either!

Best of luck to you both...this is the most amazing journey so far...I'm loving being banded...

:)

Rain

Hi Jessica,

Have you had your surgery? I'm anxious to hear how it went. I saw Dr. Abkin 2 weeks ago and my surgery is set for Dec. 11th. I'm so excited. I really felt very comfortable with Dr. Abkin - and I know that's an important part of the journey. I hope to hear from you and wish you the best - let me know how it's going!

Hi Rain,

I found your post and want to "chat" with you about your experience. I met with Dr. Abkin 2 weeks ago and felt very comfortable with him. Did you use the nutritionist and psychiatrist down the hall from his office for your evaluations? I was very disappointed and upset with them. They both tried to talk me out of lapband and into bypass - which I am totally frightened off. I have almost 200 lbs. to lose and they both said I can't hope to lose more than 100 to 125. Which is certainly better than the direction I've been going lately! However, I see you have a 150 lb. loss as your goal so I'm interested in hearing your experience - did anyone try to talk you out of the lap band?

hi Linzer

I had my surgery yesterday with Dr Bertha and im doing good. everything went great. Im a little sore but not but real pain which is GREAT!!! trying to get in all my liquids so I just keep a bottle of Water with me everywhere I go throughout the house. good luck on your journey and dont let anyone talk you into something that you are not comfortable with. I went in knowing I wanted lap band and no one tried to change my mind. its your body and you can lose the weight if you put your mind to it.