Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

confused thoughts

Hello, I am new to this site. I was just approved for a band today. I'm real excited and scared. I am an OR nurse, and know what to expect in the operating room, but not sure what to expect afterwards. All I can think about is wearing skinny clothes. Not eating real food for a while doesn't seem to phase me right now. But I know it will later. My confusion is because I was approved for the surgery, but my boyfriend, (you guys know him as willpower) was denied. I feel so bad for him. I feel guilty for being approved.:) we are trying a bunch of different things for him to be approved. Keep your fingers crossed for him. He really deserves this. I hate to see him so down about the whole thing. Any suggestions???? I look forward to hearing from someone!

what's up with this Protein Powder stuff? Is that the same stuff pre and post op?

Guest SliminJenn

The Best Protein powder I have found is at Wal-Mart called AdvantEdge...It has 20-21 Grams of protein per serving. I am 3 months out and am down from 290 to 259. So, you may loose it fast or slowly just be patient with yourself and TRY to make good choices...I will let you know that it hurts when you eat something wrong

Welcome to the board, Petunia!!! Congratulations on getting approved! I had to do 10 days of liquid pre-surgery, which was difficult to say the least, but I lost 7lbs. I liked the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein powder. After surgery, (which was a breeze for me), I lost 5 more pounds while on liquids and mushies. Then I started solids and have gained at 4 lbs. So you see, it can be quite a rollercoaster. Just got my second fill today and am hoping for a downward trend.

Hey, I have 'talked' to WillPower quite a number of times and I feel so bad for him, too. However, I just believe he's going to get his band eventually!! I know you must be feeling so guilty about being approved, but you should go ahead and have your surgery. Sooner or later, you will both be on this journey together. Good luck and best wishes to you both!!!

I'm 3 weeks post-op, I never did get the hang of that Protein power/liquid stuff, yuk! So, I'm eating lots of eggs, refried Beans and tuna to get my Protein. It's amazing the protein in one of those little prepared tuna salad cans that comes with the crackers. Since I don't like milk or milky type drinks, I have used a little frozen yogurt. I need to count my protein grams in the next few days and make sure I'm getting enough.

Like Blossom, I didn't have any problems, except shoulder pain, but that passed in a few days. My worst experience about the whole thing was that dang IV needle, I still have knot there. Go for it!

thanks to everyone for the prompt replies! I welcome all the ins and outs of the recovery process. Everyone is different. I don't mind those drinks, but sometimes you need just a little more. So I guess the aim is "high Protein, low sugar"?! I expect the shoulder pain. I've already had my gallbladder out about 6 years ago, that pain is annoying, but tolerable, it goes away. I just don't want to miss too many work days. The only one who knows what I'm doing is my boyfriend (willpower). I just don't want to hear my friends bull***#. it's easy for them to say "just diet", they're all thin!

Thanks to all of you for the great input. I am open to ALL suggestions. Keep them coming. the more I know, the better I can take care of my boyfriend when he gets approved. Keep your fingers crossed!!!

Encourage Willpower to walk with you, drink tons of Water, and try to eat healthy choices. This will just help him get in practice for his band. Getting the band is pretty much like your gallbladder surgery. You'll do great!

Hey, Petunia, welcome! It's nice to have another nurse here. There are several nurses in the house. :) I'm a pediatric/postpartum nurse (L&D wannabe) so for me I'm all about the OR fear. I've had two surgeries -- an ovarian cyst removal and my gall bladder removal -- but I'm still nervous about it. I had an anesthesia problem with my last surgery (not a reaction, just a timing issue -- they didn't put me out before giving me the paralytic and it scared the crap outta me) and so I'm sooooo scared to go under again. I'm hoping to get banded next year and my biggest fears are a) anesthesia and :D blood clots.

As for the Protein powder, yes the aim seems to be high Protein low carb. Because we're limited as to what we can get into us in a day, the advice is to focus on protein, then veggies, then the "fun stuff" (like Pasta, bread, etc) if we can tolerate it.

Best of luck with approval for your boyfriend, and congratulations!

Hi Petunia,

Its a shame that your boyfriend was denied, but there are options for him. Can he appeal? If not, is cash pay an option? Where there is a will, there is a way. As far as Protein powder, I made the mistake of investing in a big container at GNC that I never used. I did not have a pre op diet plan so I did not have to lose before surgery. After surgery, I was only required to do liquids for two weeks and moved on to mushies. I found the Carbolite shakes at Walmart to be the best bang for the buck. They are premade with 21 grams of Protein per serving. No mixing which is a pain. I still buy them occasionally since I dont like to eat Breakfast at all. Anyway, whatever you buy, make sure that you really like it and that you dont buy too much. You will be on solids and mushies before you know it.

Babs in TX

334/188/170

Petuna Welcome! I am new here myself. I am hoping to be banded in Jan or Feb. I hope to get approved in next few weeks. I have also tried th Advant Edge Protein drinks when dieting. I ask my Dr. about them and they are a good source of protein.I think they taste better than some of the others. The Nutritionist told me to use Promod... It is is nasty, all though it is a very good source of Protein. I hope to be able to get protein from eggs and cheese ect.. after surgery. That is if those things don't bother me. I've heard some people have problems eating eggs and some meats. As any one had troubles with certain foods? Which ones should I look out for?

I really wish you and your boyfriend lots of luck. Hope he will get approved soon. Just be there for him no matter what. I don't think you should beat your self up about you getting approved. Maybe he will get approved later,and then you will already know what advice could help him get through his surgery easier. good luck to you both.

All you guys sound like great people. I'm supposed to get "the call" from the doctor's office tomorrow to give me the guidelines on the preop diet. I guess I'll do some Protein shopping this weekend.

As far as "willpower" goes, we are working through some insurance stuff. We've been living together for over 8 years. In the state of Texas, you can file a domestic partner affidavit,(boring insurance stuff) so if I can get him on my insurance...there will be more hope for him. I'm crossing my fingers.

When can I expect my first fill? A month???

Happy new year to all.

Petunia