Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

MY name is Morgan I am 18 years old and just recently got interested in the lap-band surgery. I know what it is, how it works and what qualifys you to have it done. I currently stand at 5'7 and weigh 275lbs. In the last year and a half I have lost about 20 lbs but I have been stuck where I am and noticed I am gaining the little bit of weight I lost back. I really started to think about getting the surgery when I was told that I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, horrible back problems that I am on pain medication and anti-inflammitory medications for, and all of it is associated with my weight problem. I just recently graduated therapeutic massage therapy school and I am working to obtain my Florida Massage License. I really think getting the lap-band surgery could change my life so much for the better. I want to have a great career in the medical field and I am hoping to one day become a physicians assistant and being over weight does not help when you are trying to achieve your goals. It is already hard enough for me to just get through an hour massage without feeling like my back is going to break in half or my knee is going to give out and I know my heavy breathing is not the most soothing sound for a client to hear during a massage when they are trying to relax. I mentioned the whole idea of the Lap-Band surgery to my new family practice doctor today and he laughed at me and said you are too young just loose weight. My whole life I have heard those same dreaded words from every doctor I have ever seen my whole life and I tried diet pill after diet pill and exercising and changing my diet so many different times and it seemed like I got knocked down harder each time I failed at trying to lose weight. I just need to know how to get started I took a few polls online to see whether or not I even sounded like a canidate it 100% of them agreed. I guess my next step would be to find a surgeon that is in network through my insurance and meet with them and then start this journey? What should I expect, what are some tips to get started and try and get this ball rolling asap. Please share your experiences and give me all the information you can, It will all be greatly appriciated.

Hey Morgan! My name's Gayle and I have also been considering the Lap Band... I'm 21 and 243lbs... I think we have a lot in common and hope that we can be of help to each other... You seem very wise and mature and I wish you the best of luck with your weight loss. When I read your post I totally understood when you said that you told your doctor about the lap band and he laughed at you and told u to JUST loose weight...(like its easy???) I think that as young adults we need to take control of our health and weight even if it means a drastic solution. We deserve to live a happy, healthy life!!! Good luck and lets talk more....

Read Read Read all you can about the surgery. Ask LOTS of questions of the surgeon at your first appt and come to this site often and read about the complications and questions others have. Dialogue w/other bandsters here will be the most helpful.

Hello, Im also new in this forum. It is nice to read somebody's else stories. It makes you feel you are not alone is this task. It is very encouraging.

Hi Morgan,

You have come to the right place for help and support. First of all, I'm sorry for Doctor laughed at you and told you that you were too young and just need to lose weight. That infuriates me to no end. Nobody has the right to say that to anyone else. It sounds like you have had a weight problem you whole life, like most of us here. People who have never been overweight tend to find it hard to understand why we are obese. They make assumptions that we're lazy and all we do is eat. That's so far from the truth. If you went into your Doctor's office for any other medical reason do you think he would have laughed in your face. Absolutely not!

When I started this journey, the first thing I did was research. I then found a local information/support group for lapbanding. When I called to register I was asked questions about my weight, height, and BMI. The woman sent me some info. in the mail. The information session was great because it walked me through the steps of everything I would have to go through such as consults and so on. Things have moved very quickly for me already. I went to my first meeting on Augsut 24th. Since then I have had my psych. consult, nutrition eval. and my consult with the surgeon is scheduled in two weeks.

Find a surgeon in your area, ask if they have a bariatric coordinator. He/She will be able to assist you in what you need to do next. Search this site, you might be able to find someone from your area who can give you more info. I have met someone who lives about 5 minutes from me who has been so helpful. We have actually met and walk together at least once a week.

Sorry for rambling, I wish the best!

Jenn

MY name is Morgan I am 18 years old and just recently got interested in the lap-band surgery. I know what it is, how it works and what qualifys you to have it done. I currently stand at 5'7 and weigh 275lbs. In the last year and a half I have lost about 20 lbs but I have been stuck where I am and noticed I am gaining the little bit of weight I lost back. I really started to think about getting the surgery when I was told that I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, horrible back problems that I am on pain medication and anti-inflammitory medications for, and all of it is associated with my weight problem. I just recently graduated therapeutic massage therapy school and I am working to obtain my Florida Massage License. I really think getting the lap-band surgery could change my life so much for the better. I want to have a great career in the medical field and I am hoping to one day become a physicians assistant and being over weight does not help when you are trying to achieve your goals. It is already hard enough for me to just get through an hour massage without feeling like my back is going to break in half or my knee is going to give out and I know my heavy breathing is not the most soothing sound for a client to hear during a massage when they are trying to relax. I mentioned the whole idea of the Lap-Band surgery to my new family practice doctor today and he laughed at me and said you are too young just loose weight. My whole life I have heard those same dreaded words from every doctor I have ever seen my whole life and I tried diet pill after diet pill and exercising and changing my diet so many different times and it seemed like I got knocked down harder each time I failed at trying to lose weight. I just need to know how to get started I took a few polls online to see whether or not I even sounded like a canidate it 100% of them agreed. I guess my next step would be to find a surgeon that is in network through my insurance and meet with them and then start this journey? What should I expect, what are some tips to get started and try and get this ball rolling asap. Please share your experiences and give me all the information you can, It will all be greatly appriciated.

Hi Morgan! My advice is to ask a lot of questions! Welcome!:clap2: