Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When you woke up from anesthesia.....

I remember feeling like I was trying to wake up from a really deep sleep -- just going in and out. I still felt sort of foggy when they transported me to my regular room, but once I got there I was totally awake. I didn't feel too bad, considering.

I woke up while they were wheeling me to the recovery room. I remember feeling a bit cold, but no pain or nausea. I went home a couple hours later and just took it easy the next day or so.

I remember being told to roll over onto a gurney off of the operating table and then I don’t remember much more until I was in the recovery room. I slept most of the time that I was in the recovery room (7hrs) but I also remember asking for morphine since I felt a lot of pressure on my stomach. I become very very ill after general anesthesia , so I was given zofran in my IV before, during and after my surgery. I wasn’t aloud to get up to urinate until the next morning and therefore was restricted to bedpans.

I woke up and the nurse said 'welcome to the first day of your banded life sweetie!'. (she'd had a band by my surgeon a year before so she was cool). I was quite awake and nothing was odd except my stomach. I felt my port and went ....ugggghh...this hurts. She said, see this shot? If you get up and drink this barium we'll check your band and then I can give you this shot to knock you back out. I stood up, drank the barium, threw it up, drank some more, the surgeon came in, took the xray and said the band looked great and then she gave me the shot. I was OUT for 2 hours. I woke back up in recovery and my DH was standing there. The drive home was horrendous. I was so sick I had to put a sweater over my head because of motion sickness. I should have taken the anti-nausea suppository BEFORE leaving the hospital. Otherwise, everything was great. It is nice to have nurses who have been banded. They think of everything.

I woke up in recovery with a nurse over me. It seemed like I had only been asleep for a minute. All tubes were gone from my throat but I sort of had a bloody taste in my mouth you know? I was in no pain. They took my vitals a couple of times and took me up to my room where my husband was waiting...(my doctor requires an overnight stay). I think I only required one pain shot and it was in my IV which I kept in until that evening. It really was not that bad at all. I think the anticipation and worry was worse that the actual surgery.....

this is only my experience and others may have had a different type of recovery.

I have only been under twice in my life (within the last 4 years both times) and it always goes like this:

I wake up, I am crying tears and I feel pain and the nurse asks why I am crying , but I can't really speak bc my throat is so dry. I choke out an "ouch" and they know why.

Then when I am in recovery it is amazing how I am aware of everything going on and can hear everything, but I feel like I am in a coma.

My last surgery (not lapband), the nurses couldn't figure out what kind of surgery I had done, so they were standing there in front of me, talking about me, where to put me, what meds should they give me, etc and I could hear everything, but couldn't speak up or open my eyes. It was quite frightening!!