Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need help with pre-op liquid diet

I will be banded on Oct. 15th and my doctor is having me start a liquid diet on Oct. 5th. Does anyone have any good ideas about things I will be able to eat/drink?? I am really nervous about this part and don't want to blow it. Thanks for the help.:help:

The whey Protein Drink from Walmart ( Body Fortress) is pretty good for 2 meal substitutes. It comes in a few flavors and has 23g Protein, 2g carbs, 2g total fat when mixed with Water. Use skim milk ( 6oz) and the numbers are better. I used this for bfast and dinner and then for lunch had either chicken, turkey or beef broth. sugar-free Jello was a good snack, along with SF Popsicles. Plus this helped me get used to what my Dr. uses for a post-op 2 week diet. Start practicing not drinking with meals now and that will also help......Dave

Thank you Striver and Dave for your great help. I am really nervous about the pre-op diet. What did you do when you got really hungry??

Also, how did you add the Ticker Factory to your information?

You are about to change your life! I am so excited about my lap band and like you I was terrified pre op! I hope this helps your nerves a bit. It is absolutely the BEST thing I have EVER done for myself and I would do it all over again. Had mine April 4th and have lost 45 lbs and still going stong! The liquid diet is very important. It will help shrink your liver so that the surgeon has less of a risk of nicking or bruising it during surgery and I found that it helped me realize just what my relationship with food was. It was a real eye opening experience. When the hunger pangs hit I found that a cup of hot chicken or beef broth really helped curb that feeling. Welcome to the Loser's Club! I am excited for you!

I wish you luck.....You will make....I guess all doctors are different my doctor didnt make me do the liq diet before had....as amater of fact he told me to go out and eat at my fav restaunt 2 days before my surgery.....

Good luck!!!!!

I just got banded on September 25, and was allowed 4 Optifast shakes and non-starchy vegetables for the 2 weeks before the surgery.

I found a brand of syrups that are non-fat, non sugar, non calorie. They are called Davinci and can be found on-line and in at some diabetic type stores. I bought the Raspberry and Amerreto (almond flavoring, but not like the liquer). Both were excellent and really changed the flavor.

I am an evening eater and I found that I would have one shake in the morning, some vegetables and a shake at lunch, same at dinner and the last shake at about 9 pm. I found the shakes best if I put them in the blender with 4 ice cubes and the flavoring (made a huge glass - pyschologically very helpful).

The first week was the worst. The second week went much better!!

Good Luck!!!:confused:

Hi everyone,

I am being banded on October 15 and on Monday I start a low calorie liquid diet for 2 weeks. Any suggestions as to a variety of foods I can try? How about meats, did any of you puree them? :help: I sure hope I am making a good choice by going through this procedure. I have been overweight many years and I do want a new life.

Hi mtndew 42,

I am also being banded on Oct. 15. I don't have to start my liquid diet until Oct. 5th. If you get any suggestions about the variety of foods, let me know. I could use all the help I can get.

hello everyone, i started my liquid diet 4 days ago my surgery is oct. 9, i find i am feeling very edgy and agitated. i am not hungry i put Protein Powder in every thing i drink i think i am realizing how much i use food to calm me down and that is the hardest part. trying to relax.i wonder if white wine counts has a clear liquid.< /p>

For something different from the Optiyuck, try a clear broth with your vegetables added to give some body - chicken broth with some chinese style vegetables makes a nice change. You can also have stir fried veges - just remember not to use oil when stir frying.

Diet Jello is also a nice filler if you want something sweet.

This is a link to a Australian Lap band group but they have plenty of ideas for the pre-op stage and there is also a receipe thread for post surgery.

Optifast Stage - Lap Band Surgery - Australian Health Message Boards

I was also allowed non starchy vegetables and got a recipe for a Tomato stew that made a huge pot and was quite tasty.

2 large cans crushed tomatos

1 large can diced tomatos

2 zuchinni, peeled and sliced thinly

diced peppers (I used 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 orange)

cauliflower (taken from the head)

mushrooms

broccoli

canned green Beans

Any non starchy vegetables that you like

Throw everything in a large pot, spice it up (Mrs Dash has some great spice combinations) and cook until the vegetable reach the consistency you like (at least 20 mins). Tastes better on reheating. Makes at least 8 large bowls. If your family is around, you can thin it out a lttle and use it as a Pasta primavera sauce.