Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I want this so badly, how do I explain it to my family? (First Post)

Hey everyone~

I have been committed to losing weight since I was 12 years old, and I have been failing at it since I was 12 years old.

I have made the decision that I want the lapband surgery but, I almost feel like I'm failing again! I feel like I should have been able to do this on my own....

I dont know how I am going to explain this to my family and get their full support when I am beating myself up over it.

I am 99.9% sure this is the only way I can not be a 24 year old girl who weighs over 300 lbs.

Any thoughts?

Princess,

This isn't a vanity issue. THis is a health issue. We all feel it and all had reservations. If you continue to stay heavy, you WILL eventually develop medical problems - sleep apnea and diabetes are probably the two worst and both of them not only are very serious medical issues but each of them is a potential killer. Explain it to them that way. A little dramatic but not inaccurate - you simply want to get healthy and have a normal life. Any family should be completely supportive of that kidn of an outlook. Good luck....I was banded a week ago in NJ because I wanted to be alive two years from now and I want to remain part of my wife and daughter's lives for years to come. Without this surgery, there wasn't a chance of that happening. Good luck !!!

I just told my sister and father this week. My sister was not too supportive (she is also heavy) but my dad was very supportive. I was very surprised by his reaction and very pleased. So, go ahead and tell your family. Some will be supportive and other may not. But remember, it is your life and your weight and your decision. Be proud of what you are going to do!!

I'm having the lap band surgery tomorrow. I haven't told many people. I was very worried about telling my parents. I thought they would really disapprove of it. To my surprise, they thought it was a great idea, and thought I should get it done as soon as possible. I think they have been worried about my health for a long time. They cannot be more supportive. They are lending me the money to have it done, my father is taking me to the hospital while my mum looks after my children, and my mum is making herself readily available to help me in the days to come. I haven't told my sisters, as I don't think they would be supportive at all and would probably try and talk me out of it. But they are both very trim and fit, and don't know how it feels to be obese. I know that I will have to tell them eventually, but I want to wait until I feel confident that I have done the right thing first. I was so surprised about my parents support. I feel very lucky- they just want me to be healthy and happy, and know that it's not possible with the way I am now. I also have been losing and gaining weight since I was 12, and I'm so tired of it all. I've had enough of the yo yo dieting. I know that I still have to be disciplined and be careful about what I'm eating, but it'll be nice to have some help with it

My mother's first response was, "So you're not going to try another diet?" May as well have been a slap in the face. Funny - she would ask me questions about it, and try to be supportive, but she had her reservations and she wasn't flawless in trying to hide them. On the other hand, my father was thrilled. He said that he missed his thin, happy daughter, and if this is what it took to get her back, then do it yesterday. That sounds bad. Not he missed his thin daughter, but he missed me being happy, and it's hard to be happy at nearly 400 lbs. He also said that he thought this is what I would need to keep the weight off (has lost it many times, had never been able to maintain the loss), then how could it be a bad thing?

Come to find out, my mother's reservations were due to some people who know who were part of the FDA trials. Sisters, one of them going through some pretty bad stuff. She didn't understand the changes that had been made, that not everyone lives like this lady does.

Now mom and dad both want the band.