Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where to start?

Hi. I just found the forum tonight and have been doing some reading but wondered if maybe you can help me find the info I need (if it's already here somewhere) or can fill me in.

I won't bore you with the endless details of the weight problem as I am sure many of you have been through it. Leave it to say I've totally and completely had it. I am at a loss and wondering if surgery is the only option left for me so I am trying to figure it out. What I am not sure of is how to even begin that process.

I'm in Calgary and noticed some other posters from here. I've also noticed different methods of payment (through health care and paying personally) so I am not sure what is what there. My doctor is myopic and won't hear of anything but Atkins which is fine if it works for you, but it doesn't for me so he's no help on info. I am looking for a new doctor so am open to suggestions there if anyone knows someone who is up on the surgical or any other options to weight loss.

For the most part, I wonder if there is info re: the process here I can read. How do you start determining if this is the answer? What is involved in being accepted? What types of surgery do they offer here (I've heard of lapbands but until tonight didn't think you could get them here. Also heard of staples and other more involved procedures)? How long does it take from the time you decide to go this route until it's done? Are there any restrictions (age, size, whatever)? Why do I see some people travel to other places to have their surgery?

So if anyone can fill me in or point me to some threads I would sure appreciate it.

I am from Calgary, and I will try to answer as many questions as I can. You have come to a great place to get information. Read through as many posts as you can in the Canada forum as they will be the most relevant for you.

What I am not sure of is how to even begin that process.

In Calgary there are a couple of routes that you can go. You can enter the health care system and try to get one paid for by the CHR, or you can go privately. If you want to go privately you can't get it done in Alberta, you will have to travel to Ontario, BC, USA or Mexico.

If you want to go the public route, you can refer yourself to the Weight Management Clinic which is part of the U of C. I am not sure what the wait times are like, but when I was waiting I waited about 6 month before I heard from them (I was refered by my Dr.). After that there was a 2-3 month waiting to get into the program. After that there are some courses that you go to. From there, you have to enter the 6 month supervised weight loss program before you can see a surgeon. After you see the surgeon you ahve to wait to get a surgery date. When I was looking is was about 3 years start to finish.

I opted to go the self pay route with the Surgical Weight Loss Clinic in Missasauga (Dr.Coburn & Dr. Mumford). It was time for me to get bust living instead of killing myslef with food. From the time I called the clininc to the time I had my surgery was about 3 months.

If you want to go private, just phone the clinic or email them Toronto Weight Loss Obesity Surgery Lap Band Bariatric Surgeon Gastric Bypass. I emailed them through thier web site asking for additional information. Low and behold I got a call from Dr. Coburn one night that week. I was impressed with that level of service and did not look elsewhere. The nice thing about Dr. Coburn is that he has a network of fill providers here in Calgary who can look after you. As well he comes out to Calgary occasionally so you can make an appointment to see him when he is in Calgary.

I'm in Calgary and noticed some other posters from here. I've also noticed different methods of payment (through health care and paying personally) so I am not sure what is what there...

Basically your options are wait and hopefully qualify for CHR band or pay for it yourself somewhere else.

My doctor is myopic and won't hear of anything but Atkins which is fine if it works for you, but it doesn't for me so he's no help on info. I am looking for a new doctor so am open to suggestions there if anyone knows someone who is up on the surgical or any other options to weight loss..

I would look for a new Dr. I know there is Dr.s at the MacKenzie Lake medical clinic that are taking new patients (257-6669). My Dr. is based out of that clinic and he is totally supprotive of my surgery to the point where he wants to see me on a monthly basis to see how it is going. He is the one that proposed publically funded surgery to me. Unfortunately he is not taking any more patients, but all the Dr.s that me and my wife have seen at the clinic are great. I am sure if you tell the new Dr. that you are intereted in Lap-band he can talk Dr. Folwler about it.

For the most part, I wonder if there is info re: the process here I can read. How do you start determining if this is the answer? What is involved in being accepted? What types of surgery do they offer here (I've heard of lapbands but until tonight didn't think you could get them here. Also heard of staples and other more involved procedures)? How long does it take from the time you decide to go this route until it's done? Are there any restrictions (age, size, whatever)? Why do I see some people travel to other places to have their surgery?..

Check you PM's

Andrew