Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Thursday--Questions

Hello, I'm having my surgery on Thursday and have some questions.

1. Did you have to take off your panties during surgery? Sorry if that's a dumb question.

2. Did they give you something as soon as you got there to calm your nerves? I know I will be a nervous wreck and so my blood pressure will be high. I don't want them canceling my surgery because of that.

3. Did you only have Water all day after your surgery or did you go ahead and have broth, Jello or something like that?

4. How much weight did you lose on your pre-op diet and could you tell a difference? I've lost about 12 pounds but there is still a LOT of fat around my upper middle where they will be making the incisions. I hope this is ok.

5. After your surgery, did you sleep most of the rest of the day?

Well, I know there was another one but I can't think of now. If I remember it later, I'll post it. Thanks.

Hello, I'm having my surgery on Thursday and have some questions.

1. Did you have to take off your panties during surgery? Sorry if that's a dumb question. YES - hospital gown and compression stockings and socks - and hair cap.

2. Did they give you something as soon as you got there to calm your nerves? I know I will be a nervous wreck and so my blood pressure will be high. I don't want them canceling my surgery because of that. Not immediately Once they got me changed, took vitals and placed IV, and gave a shot in the belly area to prevent blood clots. == All other medicine where in the IV.

3. Did you only have Water all day after your surgery or did you go ahead and have broth, Jello or something like that? I was allowed Clear liquids -- broth - Jello - IDS Protein Bullets

4. How much weight did you lose on your pre-op diet and could you tell a difference? I've lost about 12 pounds but there is still a LOT of fat around my upper middle where they will be making the incisions. I hope this is ok. The pre-op diet is to shrink the liver because as I understand it they have to lift it with a special tool and the diet makes this easier to manuevour with out incident. My doctor has the pre-op diet optional - but I did it and my liver was still big - so he took a biopsy to ensure it was healthy - and it was.

5. After your surgery, did you sleep most of the rest of the day? No - once out of recovery - did go back to sleep until normal bedtime. At hospital at 7:30am - surgery at 9:15am and released at 2 pm after xray and went to bed at 11pm. MUST get up and walk around every hour for about 10 minutes. I even did this during the night to prevent bloodclots, and helps get the gas out.

Well, I know there was another one but I can't think of now. If I remember it later, I'll post it. Thanks.

Feel free to ask away! You have a great support system here at LBT.

BEST WISHES!

"All other medicine where in the IV."

So did you like have to count and then you were out or did you just fall asleep before you even knew what was happening? Were you already in the operating room when you fell asleep?

"All other medicine where in the IV."

So did you like have to count and then you were out or did you just fall asleep before you even knew what was happening? Were you already in the operating room when you fell asleep?

They wheeled me into operating room - had me scoot over to the operating table and then placed the mask on had me take deep breaths - and then I woke up to someone saying my name in recovery!

for me they gave me something in the IV to make me fall asleep and it worked in like 2 seconds, before I was even wheeled out of pre op I was out!

Answers below in blue.

1. Did you have to take off your panties during surgery? Sorry if that's a dumb question. In the prep area, before they started the IVs and stuff, I had to strip naked and put on one of the hospital gowns. They pulled the curtain for this so it was completely private, and by the time they came back I was gowned, in the bed, and had pulled the covers up. Knowing that at some point someone was going to see me in my birthday suit laying on a table with my flab hanging off the sides, I cared not about not being able to wear underwear. To tell you the truth, I'd much rather take them off myself, than have someone else take them off when I'm unconscious!

2. Did they give you something as soon as you got there to calm your nerves? I know I will be a nervous wreck and so my blood pressure will be high. I don't want them canceling my surgery because of that.

No, but I didn't request it, either. Once I was hooked up to the IV and prepped, I asked for something and got it right away. They understand the impact nerves can have and won't cancel surgery because of it, unless for some extraordinary reason it warrants. Your BP being elevated wouldn't be extraordinary.

3. Did you only have Water all day after your surgery or did you go ahead and have broth, Jello or something like that? I didn't have anything. I pretty much slept the day off. All I remember having was my Lortab.

4. How much weight did you lose on your pre-op diet and could you tell a difference? I've lost about 12 pounds but there is still a LOT of fat around my upper middle where they will be making the incisions. I hope this is ok.

No idea, I didn't monitor my weight pre-op. Plus my pre-op diet was only 3 days, so if I lost anything, it wasn't significant. If there was a surgical obstacle due to your abdominal fat, you'd probably already know about it. I would assume they'll have you sign paperwork stating that if, for some reason, the procedure can't be done laparoscopically, you consent to have it done open.

5. After your surgery, did you sleep most of the rest of the day?

See 3.

I've had two surgeries. My band was my first, and my second was B removal about 3 weeks ago. Here's what I experienced with each.

Band: I was sedated. I don't know if it was Versed at that point or what, I'm guessing it was. It makes you feel a little woozy/spinny. Not sick, just whirly. Hard to describe. I have clear memories up until then, and very splotchy memories after. Vesed induces memory loss - "Milk of Amnesia". I remember people coming to talk to me, and I remember them putting the squeezy boots on. I vaguely remember someone putting a cap on me. I remember someone coming to get me, and kissing my husband goodbye, but the next memory is being right outside of the OR. It was a narrow hallway and the guy pushing me banged into something. I clearly remember being wheeled into the OR, waiting for them to adjust the table, and moving onto it. I clearly remember laying there and anesthesiologist putting the mask on me and saying, "I'm going to give you some oxygen, this isn't gas." He put the mask on crooked and it wasn't sealed around my mouth. I remember thinking, "Oh great, I'm never going to get to sleep with this mask crooked" and the next thing I knew, someone was telling me to lift my butt so they could take an xray in the recovery room. Looking back, they must have put me under through something in the IV, but they didn't tell me they were going to.

GB removal: Much more "alert" for this one. I know they gave me versed, but I don't have the splotchy memories - I remember 98% of what happened. They came to get me, I kissed DH goodbye, and they wheeled me into the OR. I moved to the operating table, and starting talking to one of the nurses about recipes. They were asking me about my band, too - how I liked it, why I had chosed it over RnY, etc. The guy told me I would be put to sleep through the IV. Talked a few more minutes, and this is where I forget. Someone said something to tell me that I was about to be put to sleep, but I can't remember who or what. I said, "See you on the other side" - and next thing I knew I was in recovery.

Mandi - Good luck! Sounds like you and I both have similar weight goals and my surgery is Friday - the day after yours!

I also lost about 12 pounds pre-op. It can't hurt right? I think just being healthier over the past month makes me feel better. I haven't had a soda pop since late-August and that's been the biggest deal with me.

Anyway, I can't help you on the panties question. I haven't worn panties since my sophomore year in college.

Oh... TMI... Sorry...

Good luck tomorrow!!! I'm thinking of you!!!!!

Hey Mandi,

Just wanted to wish you luck. It sounds like the others really answered your questions.

I have heard good things about Dr. Benavides! I live in Texas, too.

Let us know how you do.

Michelle

i encountered my first glitch i was over looking my paper work and realized that i had to schedule my preop testing cbc metabolic panel and ekg anyways i looked on sheet from surgeon it said i should have test at least 3 weeks before surgery and not more than 30 days before well today is the 25th of sept my surgery is october 10th not three weeks before i am very worried about them now postponing my surgery or something being messed up thats why i was wondering why they would say 3 weeks before why not 2 or 2.5 or even 1.5 maybe it takes awhile for tests to come back im not sure butnow im so nervous and everything is closed right now to call help :help:

i encountered my first glitch i was over looking my paper work and realized that i had to schedule my preop testing cbc metabolic panel and ekg anyways i looked on sheet from surgeon it said i should have test at least 3 weeks before surgery and not more than 30 days before well today is the 25th of sept my surgery is october 10th not three weeks before i am very worried about them now postponing my surgery or something being messed up thats why i was wondering why they would say 3 weeks before why not 2 or 2.5 or even 1.5 maybe it takes awhile for tests to come back im not sure butnow im so nervous and everything is closed right now to call help :help:

Don't lose sleep over it. :notagree Call them first thing in the morning - and I bet (I hope) they will be willing to help you out.

It doesn't take that long to get any of those tests back. I am a reformed bariatric assistant, by the way.

i wouldnt think it would really matter either its still like 14 days from surgery hope to get in like thursday morning thanks for your quick comment back i appreciate it ive come so far as im sure you know i just want it done like yesterday! I would hate something stupid like that to postpone it i will try to not lose sleep over it lol! thanks again

I had my bloodwork done 2 weeks to the day before my surgery. Cardiac testing I had before I even scheduled my surgery but I had to have more thorough testing. But I wouldn't worry because bloodwork can be back in a few days and EKG results are printed out on the spot when they take it.

No problem - I have been there - yes. It is hard to wait! I had to wait a while for mine and I kept feeling like I was waiting to start my life over again. Seems silly now - but that is just how it feels. Most nurses are eager to work with you - especially if you are nice.

Good Luck!!