Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question Regarding Food after Surgery - Ramadan

Dear All,

I have a question that I'm sure has NEVER been asked on the forum before?

I am a Muslim by belief and practice and it is a requirement that I fast for 1 month each year called Ramadan.(29 to 30 days) The sick and insane are exempt form the fast.

This means that I eat and drink in the morning before sunrise and then don't eat or drink anything until sunset - after which I can eat and drink whatever I like. (this can mean up to 16 hours without food or drink)

I am wondering if after surgery I will be able to fast int his way.

My surgery is planned for after the fasting month next year so I will be banded 1 year before the fasting time comes around again.

I love Ramadan this month for me is so spiritually, mentally and physically invigorating and I would like to continue doing it - if I can.

I would appreciate an answer on this as I am sure it is a question in the minds of any Muslim considering surgery.

kind regards M:)

nil by mouth between sunrise and sunset but after sunset until the morning u can eat and drink as much as u like - it is a real discipline - teaches u to control the food and not let it control u.....why am i FAT LOL>???/<br /> <br /> Needless to say it probably doesn't work for me the rest of the year - JOKE:)

I don't see why you shouldn't be able to. Aalthough I agree with gr8 that dehydration might be a problem. Perhaps ask your banding Dr, I know mine would not advocate 16 hours with out Water, and it might be a problem because some (not all) people can't just drink large amounts of water in short periods after being banded. Perhaps you could have a trial sometime before ramadan arrives to see how your body reacts for a few days or a week. If it doesn't feel "right" you could just go back to normal then.

I think you would be fine the first year out as it takes a while to get filled to a tighter restriction. The band might actually make it easier to last the 16 hours without eating/drinking. Though I would consider possibly getting an unfill during Ramadan for future years.

Its not that banded people can't go 16 hours without getting dehydration it that we can't drink it fast enough in the remaining 8 hours to be ready for the next day's 16 hours fast. Especially when you add to it the fact that you aren't suppose to drink at the same time you eat when you are banded. (The hows/whys of drinking and eating are a whole different conversation).

You probably could do it if you stayed awake the entire 8 hours each night eating a meal as soon as the sun went down waiting 1/2 hour then starting to drink until about an hour before dawn. Then eating one more meal before the sun came up. That would mean sleeping during the daytime. And though I am not Muslim, I would think that some of the reasons for the whole fasting of Ramadan is sacrifice and the continual reminder to pray and reflect on Allah everytime you have the urge to eat or drink throughout the day. If I were Muslim I would feel that sleeping though the days fast was somehow not right, maybe not a "cheat", but somehow not quite right. On the other hand flipping your days and nights to get your food and Water in during the nights is definitely a BIG sacrifice and every urge to just quit drinking and go to sleep thoughout the night could easily be your personal call to praise Allah.

I hope my last comments have not offended, and apologize for any mistaken conclusions I may have made about Ramadan. It is easy for anyone to say they are Muslim, Christian, Jewish or Buddist, whereas it is not easy to faithfully walk the paths those seperate beliefs require. And I have nothing but the utmost respect for everyone with the conviction to steadfastly follow thier own faith.