Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Which state would you choose?

NW Mama

Since my first attempt at posting didn't go over very well, I decided to lighten up a bit and ask this. If you could comfortably live in any state in the USA, which would you choose and why?

I live in Washington State, and I love it. However, I would like to try living in a state that has 4 distinct seasons. My climate is fairly mild year round. I would love to see what it is like to be in a few feet of snow, or extremely hot weather, or have a fall where the leaves actually change colors. I am thinking New Hampshire or Connecticut?

If price weren't an issue, California. Southern. I was born & raised there, and am still in love with it. The weather is perfect, all year. I live in MO now, and I can't stand winter. The cold, ice, snow - it all sucks. We get about 3 usable months a year. Other than that, it's too cold (for me), or too hot (for hubby).

NW MAMA - Glad to see you giving it another shot. We can always use more active members/posters.

Ironically I think I would choose your state. I can relate to your comments as a part of me has always wanted to see just one snowfall like those you see on TV further North where they have to practically tunnell out of their houses. I grew up in Nebraska and live in the same Metro as Wheetsin now. Having 4 Distinct seasons is not as much as it is cracked up to be. Summers with weeks of 100+ weather then Winters with weeks of below Zero temps is NOT fun (OK that was Nebraska not here).

I also spent 3 years in Scotland during University and from everything I here it has a climate somewhat similar to Washington State. A typical winter day still has highs in the 40's and a typical summer day tops out in the high 70's. I absolutely loved that it got just cold enough to know it was winter and just warm enough to know it was summer but without either one being too unbearable.

I use to get a real laugh at the locals. When it actually hit 32 degrees everyone would run around saying it was freezing. This just after I left one of Nebraska's coldest winters with a couple days of windchills at 40 BELOW zero. Now that is FREEZING!

I have spent winters in Sweden. Trust me, having to tunnel yourself out looks cooler on TV.

BTW - hi! I kind of left the face of the earth for a while. But I see you're slated for PS. Wow, that's awesome! Who's doing it?

Someplace with naked women on the beaches...:heh:

I have always liked Alaska though, would love to live there.

Uh yeah Derick, but not many women there at all....nor beaches! :(

I have spent winters in Sweden. Trust me, having to tunnel yourself out looks cooler on TV.

"BTW" - hi! I kind of left the face of the earth for a while. But I see you're slated for PS. Wow, that's awesome! Who's doing it?

"Trust Me" - I'm sure you're right. I'd still love to experience it once in my life, but no real interest in living it.

"BTW" - PM me or drop in on the SMMC or my PS thread sometime. Though I'll warn you the PS thread has some graphic shots. I've missed the old...

"Hoenators". :banplease:

Wow, this is a surprisingly hard question. I love the east coast. I fell completely in love with Cape Cod when I interned on it in 2004, so if I could live there, I'd definitely pick Massachusetts. Of course, I loved the Cheseapeake Bay area, too, so I could easily live in Virginia or Maryland (as long as I lived on the Bay). The Everglades are great, so I could live in Florida, too. Again, as long as it was coastal.

I don't feel a huge draw to the west coast, honestly. There are a few places I'd like to visit, but I don't know about living there. I'm more drawn to to certain areas of certain states, and I'd be quite likely to completely refuse to live in a state if I couldn't live in that area. Take Florida, for example. Unless I can live in a coastal area, forget about it.

My friend's daughter went to Russia for a semester in college...she said women there have to cover their hair completely or it will freeze and break off. Burrrr...Too much for me!

I grew up in VA, and just last year moved to Houston. I love the mild winters, but miss the snow.

If money and responsibility weren't a factor, I'd spend a month in the winter in Virginia, then the rest of the year in Southern CA. I think one month a year of cold would be enough! :(

Since my first attempt at posting didn't go over very well, I decided to lighten up a bit and ask this. If you could comfortably live in any state in the USA, which would you choose and why?

I live in Washington State, and I love it. However, I would like to try living in a state that has 4 distinct seasons. My climate is fairly mild year round. I would love to see what it is like to be in a few feet of snow, or extremely hot weather, or have a fall where the leaves actually change colors. I am thinking New Hampshire or Connecticut?

Good question. I have lived in Texas all my life. I live in North Texas just east of Dallas. We do have 4 seasons here. Sometimes they do not last the prescribed amount of time before we have a severe weather change. It can be 75 at noon and then 35 by 10 p.m. We have ice storms, tornados, blistering heat and chilling cold. I would not live anywhere else but Texas. I would perhaps like to live on the Texas coast, like Corpus Christi, but the hurricanes keep me away. So, I would not want to live anywhere but the Lone Star State of Texas.

hey! leave my dreams alone! :)

lol...ok I am sorry, I remember now, there are TONS of hot women there all scantily clad laying on the beautiful beaches....

Better?? :(

Hey, at least I didn't say Alaska is a sausage fest....lol....

Ooooo, Alaska is a sausage fest? Sign me up!

I love Michigan, I can't imagine living in any state other than MI.

Now country...we want to move to Ireland. DH live in England (near Ipswich) for a few years and liked it, but after our trip to Ireland and Scotland, he decided he LOVED Ireland. I do too. He also would love to move back to the panhandle of Florida, not me, too hot and muggy even for one month of the year. Heck, MI is too hot sometimes!

I've lived in Texas all my life, and really can't imagine living anywhere else. I live 20 minutes away from a big city, and only 30 minutes away from the beach...I've got everything I need right here, why move? :(

But...if I absolutely HAD to move...I'd go with somewhere that actually has a fall and a winter, so I guess somewhere along the east coast. Instead of it being 75 degrees Christmas day, it'd be nice to have a white Christmas for once!