Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Symptoms

I started having problems straight away, though not with the band itself.

The shoulder pain that some people experience for 2 weeks afterwards plagued me horribly for 9 months. The doctors denied it being anything to do with the surgery . . . but it wasn't there before, it's a symptom and it was there right after . . . I'm no mathematical genius, but I can figure out the probability on that one.

The band basically wasn't working. I could eat as much as I could before. We got it tightened and I could still eat a big plate, tightened again, same thing with the occasional PB.

We went for another tighten and when I had a sip of Water I vomited it back up, so he loosened it slightly.

Now, there weren't as many clinics around when I had this, the nearest one being 4-5 hours away and me being . . . 16 by that time.

I couldn't eat. Or at least, it was rare. What was common however is for me to vomit at least 16 times during a meal. Then I started vomiting at night, while I was asleep. Last night, for example, I ate a few hours before going to bed, and in me pre-bedtime ritual I actually forced myself to vomit up some food that I could feel stuck, to hopefully avoid it later on.

No such luck. I woke up at 6 this morning, choking and swallowing my own foul tasting vomit. I go to the bathroom and vomit up black liquid. I don't know why it's always black, but it is. Time and stomach acid have made it taste . . . like I just dissolved some painkillers . . . it tastes chemical and rancid.

There is a plus side, I was 109 kg (239 lbs) and am now 69 KG (151 Lbs). I've still got more to go.

I now live in Sydney and am going to my fill doctor on the earliest appointment, which is the 3rd of October.

I hope that I can find a happy medium or being full, but not vomiting all the time.

I've been banded for 4 years, since I was 15.

Ok, when you say vomitting, do you mean vomitting, or do you mean PB? There's a difference, and it's important to clarify which you're experiencing.

if you vomit - or PB - while eating, don't keep eating and do it 16 more times. Stop, and let some warm liquids, or nothing at all, give your stomach a rest.

Waking up to vomit (not PB, vomit) in your mouth is a symptom of GERD. Black is a symptom of several things.

You need to see someone sooner than 10/3 about black vomit. Don't assume it's a result of your band. Go to a regular doctor, care clinic, whatever it is you have there.

You don't need to eat solid foods. In the time before you can get in to see your band surgeon, I would suggest sticking with liquid or extremely soft foods - e.g. the post-op diet. If you cannot get foods down, quit trying, because you're just going to risk harming yourself further.

It's hard to tell. It mostly seems PB, but sometimes it seems more like actual vomit.

The problem is also, that liquid can also make me vomit. Having a cop of broth makes me vomit. It seems almost like my lapband has 'moods' sometimes it would let me eat doughy pizza, but other times won't allow me to drink Water or eat Soup. And I definately can't drink anything before I go to bed, even if I'm incredibly thirsty.

I started having problems straight away, though not with the band itself.

The shoulder pain that some people experience for 2 weeks afterwards plagued me horribly for 9 months. The doctors denied it being anything to do with the surgery . . . but it wasn't there before, it's a symptom and it was there right after . . . I'm no mathematical genius, but I can figure out the probability on that one.

The band basically wasn't working. I could eat as much as I could before. We got it tightened and I could still eat a big plate, tightened again, same thing with the occasional PB.

We went for another tighten and when I had a sip of Water I vomited it back up, so he loosened it slightly.

Now, there weren't as many clinics around when I had this, the nearest one being 4-5 hours away and me being . . . 16 by that time.

I couldn't eat. Or at least, it was rare. What was common however is for me to vomit at least 16 times during a meal. Then I started vomiting at night, while I was asleep. Last night, for example, I ate a few hours before going to bed, and in me pre-bedtime ritual I actually forced myself to vomit up some food that I could feel stuck, to hopefully avoid it later on.

No such luck. I woke up at 6 this morning, choking and swallowing my own foul tasting vomit. I go to the bathroom and vomit up black liquid. I don't know why it's always black, but it is. Time and stomach acid have made it taste . . . like I just dissolved some painkillers . . . it tastes chemical and rancid.

There is a plus side, I was 109 kg (239 lbs) and am now 69 KG (151 Lbs). I've still got more to go.

I now live in Sydney and am going to my fill doctor on the earliest appointment, which is the 3rd of October.

I hope that I can find a happy medium or being full, but not vomiting all the time.

I've been banded for 4 years, since I was 15.

Bad Night Re-Flux

I Also have the same problem and so I now make sure I dont eat or drink at least 2 hours before bed !

Taking Pepto-Bismol for my acid reflux (pre-band) caused me to vomit black stuff..

Then I googled it and read pepto can do that...

Just some interesting information :(

I don't take any medication for it.

I think the only solution is to get it loosened up. This has been going on, with the constant PB and the black vomit for 2 years, I don't think another week will hurt, or so I hope.

I want to know why after whatever is stuck comes up, why do we keep throwing up slime. I know there is nothing but water/slime coming up. It will go on for a couple of hours after I have gotten rid of whatever is stuck.

I would also like to know something about taking pills. Sometimes,

I try to take medication with a lot of Water.I try to drink a lot so the pill isn't sitting in my pouch. Sometimes, it just doesn't work. I will throw the Water up. But I don't see the pill.

Is this water in my pouch, or is it coming from my stomach.

I wonder if the pill dissolves.