Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you live in BC but were banded elsewhere?

Hey all, me again continuing my research!!

I am currently looking into what my options are for where to get my band / how I can self-pay etc and of course Mexico is high on my mind just for the HUGE difference in cost; however...

I've found of two surgeons in the Lower Mainland that deal with Lap Bands: one, Dr Leung, who does not do fills for any one that wasn't his patient and two, Dr.Woodhead, who apparently charges a consult fee ($400) and meets with you to decide you can be his patient and then charges you $75/fill. So.. getting to the point - has anyone had surgery elsewhere but looked to get fills in BC? Where did you go? Any tips/pointers/etc. would be greatly appreciated.

My main concern is if I get it done elsewhere what happens when it's fill time or if I have any complications? Please help :)

Cheers,

Angela

I would stick with getting it done in Canada. The aftercare would worry me. Not finding a dr.who takes someone elses patients.The band can be a finicky b**** .

Hey all, me again continuing my research!!

I am currently looking into what my options are for where to get my band / how I can self-pay etc and of course Mexico is high on my mind just for the HUGE difference in cost; however...

I've found of two surgeons in the Lower Mainland that deal with Lap Bands: one, Dr Leung, who does not do fills for any one that wasn't his patient and two, Dr.Woodhead, who apparently charges a consult fee ($400) and meets with you to decide you can be his patient and then charges you $75/fill. So.. getting to the point - has anyone had surgery elsewhere but looked to get fills in BC? Where did you go? Any tips/pointers/etc. would be greatly appreciated.

My main concern is if I get it done elsewhere what happens when it's fill time or if I have any complications? Please help :(

Cheers,

Angela

Dear Angela;

I know that price diff. is huge between Cda and Mexico surgeries. BUT if this was Gastric Bypass you were considering then I'd say no problem...

BUT with Lapband the aftercare, appts for fills, seminars for nutrician etc.... there is actually MORE done for you after your surgery than just that one "operation day". I can't tell you how many phone calls I've made to the various members of the team at TBLC.. questions re eating, things stuck, PB's, burping.... tightness... Several fill appts. etc...

this is a longterm life changing surgery, Mexico is a long ways away... if you lived in the states and it was just a mater of a 3 hour drive back there I'd say go for it...

But in the long run, flipped ports, broken/leaky ports, eroded bands...etc. all these extra proceedures would need to be handled by the clinic you choose. I know these complications are NOT common but you still have to think ahead and plan for the eventuality.

Perhaps that is one way they can offer things so much cheaper in Mex.... after care will be done in US or Canada in ER's or whatever...

You said that you were in the lower mainland of BC, is there any clinics on the northern US border???

Thank you both for your responses. After hearing more and more about aftercare and the importance of being close to someone who deals with that I am reconsidering my thoughts of going to Mexico.

I put in my vote for Leung. I have had excellent results with him and am secure in knowing he is close at hand.

Good luck with whatever you decide and let us know how you are doing.

:clap2:Banding is the best money I have ever spent.

Paula,

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. I'm definitely closer to him than Dr. Woodhead seeing as he's in Surrey and Woodheads in Delta and I live in Chilliwack! Hehe.

I put in my vote for Leung. I have had excellent results with him and am secure in knowing he is close at hand.

Good luck with whatever you decide and let us know how you are doing.

:clap2:Banding is the best money I have ever spent.

Paula,

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. I'm definitely closer to him than Dr. Woodhead seeing as he's in Surrey and Woodheads in Delta and I live in Chilliwack! Hehe.

Now, in some ways, Dr Woodhead may be the better choice. I don't know him and have heard that he is not getting any OR time, but you should phone both offices and ask questions.

Although I love my Dr Leung, he is in his 70's so don't know how long he will be practising. But, when he does retire, I am confindent all his patients will have another doctor to do our fills and follow up. And while his surgical skills are excellent, he has been reported not to have the best bedside manners.

Personally, I love the guy.

Also, you have a pm

Here is the contact information.

Leung W M Dr

13798 94A Ave 200, Surrey, BC V3V1N1

(604) 581-2515

Dr. Woodhead

Ladner, BC

(604) 946 6500.

Phone today! Evelyn is Leung's secretary and has can answer a lot of questions, including wait time.

Cheers and good luck with your decision.

Hmmmm 70 and about to retire that's kinda scary! Hah, although really how much do I care about the guys bedside manner if he gets the job done and well? I'll give them a call when I get home from work today.

I've heard from someone else that Dr.Woodhead isn't getting much OR time, wonder what the deal with that is?

hello i'm from delta and I went to dr.ortiz in Mexico it was super easy I flew down to san diago and they picked me up at airport and drove me to the clinic. I dont regret anything it was super safe and I would tell my own mother or grandmother to go to dr.ortiz. not woodhead

I get my fill's in arlington washington one of the nurses had the surgery. If you have not had the surgery yet got to them for a consult it's only 40 dollars and they open a file for you they are also a contact for questions after about health and diet http://www.northwestfills.com/

also nobody use dr.woodhead he is kind of a scam he will charge you 400 bucks just for a consult also for a fill he charges 400 even if he does not find you're port. also when you call his "office" somebody just answers Doctors office seemed very shady to me

Now I would tell everybody do not use Dr.woodhead

also nobody use dr.woodhead he is kind of a scam he will charge you 400 bucks just for a consult also for a fill he charges 400 even if he does not find you're port. also when you call his "office" somebody just answers Doctors office seemed very shady to me

Now I would tell everybody do not use Dr.woodhead

I don't know for sure, but I think it has something to do with surgeons using public hospitals for private surgeries. Leung has run into the same problem, but so far hasn't had problems booking the OR for his lap band surgeries. Perhaps Dr Woodhead has run into more flack at Peace Arch.

That is why it is so hard to find a surgeon locally. I don't know why other private facilites aren't doing this surgery. There IS a demand for it. I guess in time we will see more or perhaps a facility like the one in Ontario.

But, having said that, I am glad you found success in Mexico. I also wouldn't hesitate to go there, but with 3 young kids, local was better for me and my family.

Oh and I also wouldn't consider Woodhead's fees a 'scam'. I see our American friends paying up to and including a thousand dollars for a fill.

I feel as though my 13,500 was a DEAL in comparison to some. I already got 1200.00 of that back from the hospital because I did not stay overnight and I am currently awaiting my tax refund, somewhere around 3 thousand. So for 9 thousand something, no travel, I think my surgery was the deal of my lifetime.

Cheers,

Uh excuse me. Those were not true words you spoke about Dr. Woodhead. I don't know where you got your information from. Dr. Woodhead charges the $400 consult fee for people like myself that went out of province and suddenly found they had no one to do the fills. He is an excellent young doctor and very good. He is presently going to france to train in the placement of the Fr. Midband so that he has more choice for his patients. He charges the consult fee, because we are asking him to take over another surgeons work and he is taking a huge insurance risk.

I would not hesitate to recommend Dr. Woodhead for surgery. It is his youth that he cannot get OR time. More senior doctors have priority as well as heart other emergency type surgeries. He does not have his own private clinic so must use the Government run hospitals.

So please do not make such outlandish uninformed statements. You are damaging the reputation of a fine young doctor. Doddie