Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 years post op and can't seem to lose the last 50lbs that I need to

My name is Naeema and I was sleeved in February 2014. At first the weight melted off. I started at 322, was about 308 on surgery day and for the last two years I've been stuck between 245 and 255. I didn't care as my weight stayed in the 240's no matter what I ate, but now that I am trying to finish it won't go anywhere. The first week I lost about 7lbs but now it's been two weeks and nothing, even gained 1lb. And I have my Protein shakes with a banana in it every morning, hard boiled eggs for Snacks, Protein for lunch and dinner and Tae Bo (kickboxing ) at night. I'm super frustrated the weight isn't coming off like before. I don't know what to do because all I do is read these forums for info or encouragement..

Naeema W.

I'd stop with the bananas, there are 27 carbs in just one. I would focus on Protein and lower your carb intake for a while and look at your fat intake also. You may need to increase your Protein if you are doing Tae Bo every night. Are you journaling every bite. What about Water. What are you drinking? Hopefully no soda or booze.

I'd stop with the bananas, there are 27 carbs in just one. I would focus on Protein and lower your carb intake for a while and look at your fat intake also. You may need to increase your Protein if you are doing Tae Bo every night. Are you journaling every bite. What about Water. What are you drinking? Hopefully no soda or booze.

Thanks for responding! Yes since reading I consume about 64oz of Water a day.. and I'm trying to chill on the tae bo every night.. I do track with my fitness pal. I'm finding that when I don't care too much, but keep my water going and high protein and exercise here and there that may work... as opposed to eating less calories and exercising because my fitness pal had me at 2,200 calories and I lowered it to 1,600 as I've seen many sleevers consume that much. But I just upped it back to 1800. This is all frustrating tho.

Naeema W.

And yes I didn't do a banana this morning looking at the carbs omg so many !

Naeema W.

I would definitely track carefully for a bit just to try to get a good handle on where all your macros are. Make sure you are getting at least 100 grams of Protein a day. I think 1600 calories a day is reasonable if you are trying to actively lose weight, even with the Tae Bo. I was running a lot in my weight loss phase and keeping my calories around 1400-1500. Now that I am in maintenance I do about 1900 on non-cardio days and 2200-2400 on cardio days.

I'd aim for a calorie deficit much greater than what you listed. I'd aim for 1000 calories each day, at least 72 oz Water and high Protein diet. Get your carbs to no more than 15 per meal.

You should be able to drop the weight more quickly but part of what you need to do is starve your body of more calories.

I would definitely track carefully for a bit just to try to get a good handle on where all your macros are. Make sure you are getting at least 100 grams of Protein a day. I think 1600 calories a day is reasonable if you are trying to actively lose weight, even with the Tae Bo. I was running a lot in my weight loss phase and keeping my calories around 1400-1500. Now that I am in maintenance I do about 1900 on non-cardio days and 2200-2400 on cardio days.

So 100 grams of Protein isn't too much for three years out right? Cuz I eat A LOT of protein

Naeema W.

I'd aim for a calorie deficit much greater than what you listed. I'd aim for 1000 calories each day, at least 72 oz Water and high Protein diet. Get your carbs to no more than 15 per meal.

You should be able to drop the weight more quickly but part of what you need to do is starve your body of more calories.

There's like carbs in everything ! How can I stay below just 15 grams of it with three meals? And others say when you starve your body of calories, it holds on to fat so I won't lose anything. Ugh, so much!

Naeema W.

So 100 grams of Protein isn't too much for three years out right? Cuz I eat A LOT of protein

Naeema W.

100 grams is a pretty standard protein goal. I would aim for even more if you are doing strength training. It's definitely not TOO much. I would say you aren't risking getting "too much" protein until you are up to like 200 grams a day.

Okay thank you ! Because Protein isn't a problem for me like others with the sleeve . I can easily tear up some eggs, salmon, fish, shrimp, grilled or baked chicken, etc.. not a problem at all.. it's knowing the amount of carbs in food that gets me.. but I'll keep pushing it's been a two year stall and I NEED to keep going, ready to get out of this. I got content with 70-80 lbs gone but I know I still have ways to go.

Naeema W.

There's like carbs in everything ! How can I stay below just 15 grams of it with three meals? And others say when you starve your body of calories, it holds on to fat so I won't lose anything. Ugh, so much!

Naeema W.

No, you will lose, absolutely. It's why you lost the initial weight, it's why we had 80% of our stomach removed. It will work.

15 grams carbs per MEAL, not in a whole day.

You have the sleeve, right? You started out eating 5 - 4oz meals a day? just go back to that. Go back to your routine from when you moved into the full food stage. Eat Protein based meals and get complex carbs only, like from green or orange veggies (not from white veggies). Drink your Water in between.

Also, are you drinking water with your meals? That is a no-no if you have the sleeve as well. What it does is pushes the food through your stomach more quickly allowing you to eat more, take in more calories and not feel as full. Bad news for wanting to lose weight.

Once you've drop it all you can slowly go back to maintaining and up the calories again but if you want to loss that weight you need to reduce calories and keep up your exercise. I mean, not to extremes but normal, healthy exercise.

Naeema W.

No, you will lose, absolutely. It's why you lost the initial weight, it's why we had 80% of our stomach removed. It will work.

15 grams carbs per MEAL, not in a whole day.

You have the sleeve, right? You started out eating 5 - 4oz meals a day? just go back to that. Go back to your routine from when you moved into the full food stage. Eat Protein based meals and get complex carbs only, like from green or orange veggies (not from white veggies). Drink your Water in between.

Also, are you drinking water with your meals? That is a no-no if you have the sleeve as well. What it does is pushes the food through your stomach more quickly allowing you to eat more, take in more calories and not feel as full. Bad news for wanting to lose weight.

Once you've drop it all you can slowly go back to maintaining and up the calories again but if you want to loss that weight you need to reduce calories and keep up your exercise. I mean, not to extremes but normal, healthy exercise.

Thank you SO much!