Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling need help

Hi everyone. I start my pre-op diet in two days and have had a horrible week food wise.

It's like everything suddenly looks good and I feel ravenous and want to eat it all and in some cases I do.

I've been doing so good and suddenly I'm falling into my old habits.

I really want the sleeve to work and I want a new chance at life but I feel like I've already failed.

Has anyone else gone through this? What has helped you stay the course?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I think most people go through something similar. It's human nature. Here are the things that helped me.

First, create a line for yourself. Once the pre-op diet starts, there is no such thing as cheating. Not following the diet is seriously endangering your health, not a naughty misbehavior. This will be true until you are fully healed, so you can't allow yourself to think of cheating as an option.

Second, remember the scarcity is not true. You'll be able to eat those things again for the most part, eventually. Not in the same quantities and not frequently, but it's not like this is your last chance to taste it ever.

Third, read The Diet Trap Solution or one of the other books by Judith Beck and actually do what it says. It's not a diet book, per se, but a cognitive behavioral therapy book focused on weight loss. If you faithfully practice the CBT principals, it will be much easier.

And finally, come to terms with the fact that this sucks but you are up to it. food can't be your entertainment or comfort anymore. It's just fuel now, at least for the next few months. But life goes on, and food is really only a small part of it.

Good luck!! You can do it!!

VSG 1/20/17 HW: 325 SW:294 CW: 296

Part of what's helped me get through this is the big realization of how much food controls us. I did the same thing worrying about how can I possibly do this, I can't have x, y, or z for months, and on and on. The only thing I can compare it to is when I quit smoking 5-6 years ago. I used to think I couldn't possibly go to this place or do this thing if I couldn't smoke. Looking back, yeah, it was stupid. Do I miss smoking at times? Sure. But it passes, I realize I don't stink like my coworkers, and I have a helluva lot of extra money.

Don't beat yourself up too bad. Most of us probably have a tendency to want to do a "last hoorah" before those two weeks kick in. It is much more mental than anything. I won't lie and say that it's been a walk in the park, but I'm on Day 13 of my pre-op and it's become a routine now. The past two weeks has been mental training for things on the other side of the surgery and not eating as much as I used to.

Hang in there. You'll get through it.