Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone know of Dr De Bruyne Chris

Hi Gillian and bigsister - 'WELCOME BACK GIRLS!' I'm please that you are back safe and well. Like I said to Wishfull, I am really greatful to you for posting your experiences so quickly and providing a witty, informative recount. I also want to thank you for your good wishes for me too - they are much appreciated. You all seem to be doing really well and are having good results with you weight loss already. I would be overjoyed with 2lbs a week. Keep up the good work girls and dont forget to keep us up to date with your progress. By the way I went to my GP again today and although my BP was a little high, she said it was ok - so Belgium here I come :wink2: T x

Thanks TC! Glad to be back. So pleased to hear your BP not going to be a problem and delay things for you. It will really fly by now and you'll be there before you know it, going through the same routine we did on Friday and then back home a couple of days later. I havent got any weighing scales and so won't be able to find out how much I've lost until I go into Boots in town and use theirs. I got weighed the weekend before I went and so it will be interesting to see what it is now - hope it's encouraging! Although, our emphasis at the moment is more about recovering properly and getting used to a new eating regime. Will be posting again before you are off - when are you travelling? Take good care of yourself and that BP down! Bigsister x

Welcome sammy77, congratulations on deciding to go with dr chris and his team.. you wont regret it. i got banded friday just gone and im so glad i choose him. My advice to you would be get plenty of rest when you get home, just cos you feel ok doesnt mean you should over do it. Any questions feel free to ask x

Hi tamisu just want to wish you the best of luck for friday, you will feel a bit rough for the first 24/ 48 hrs but its to be expected, after all you are having surgery. Hope you have the same experience as i did, a grrreeeeaaaaat 1. GOODLUCK x

Hi Freckles. Think the main thing I would be concerned about would be the trust and safety issue, which you say you have got in the UK surgeon. Also on the plus side, the price will be a fair bit lower, especially if you factor in flights and hotels and also, like wishfull says, you will not have the additional hassle at an airport which is definitely a consideration. And you would get 2 fills which would save you around £200? All worth thinking about. Would he be able to offer you a date to suit yourself quite soon? I reckon if the manufacturer were to find the old band faulty, they should be agreeing to foot the whole bill this time (+ compensation!), will you be able to get a copy of the report they make on it? Make the decision which feels right for you - I'm sure after a bit of thinking, you will know - and let us know as soon as you decide. Take care, bigsister x

Hi freckles, Perhaps is was fate that stopped your xrays arriving in Brussels, and that you were meant to wait for a letter from your previous surgeon, so that you now can assess both options.

Price and convience would be my motivators, but of course yours might be quite different. Can you have the op done quickly in Southampton.

Looking forward to hearing your choice, even if you choose uk please stay in touch with us hear, your input is appreciated. Love mmm

Your opinions matter a great deal to me and I value your input, I know you are all thinking of me, and not how much money anyone will make from this, a big thank you for this girlies.

My solicitor is not in the office until Wednesday so I have to wait to speak to her, but spoke to her sidekick and he says I need to speak to her but at the end of the day I have to do which is best for me.

I'm not trying to sue the pants off anyone albeit the company is a very large American one.

I just want a working band , the surgery paid for and maybe a little compensation for all the stress and pain the faulty band has caused me.

The contrast study under x-ray ( to ascertain where the leak was) was not very pleasant and lasted almost an hour, with a lot of coloured fluids being injected into the port, in that time, quite painful actually, with tremendous bruising afterwards. Thats without the new surgery and the recuperation, because who knows what I will endure with the removal of the old band, and the replacing of a new one.

Sorry to drone on, but I know you can appreciate my worries.

Mmm, I am a great believer in 'everything happens for a reason', and I think you may be right about the non-arrival of the x-rays.

And thanx so much for wanting me to stay in touch even if I choose MVDB for my surgery, that is so nice.:Dancing_wub:

I'm not sure when I could have the op, but last time I was given a date within 2 weeks of my first consultation, so hoping it will be the same.

The convenience of no flights and taxi fares,and familiar surroundings outweigh everything.... although I feel awful for taking up Dr Chris's time, and I really appreciate his kindness for which I will always be grateful.

If i decide on Southampton I will mail Dr Chris thanking him for his time and trouble.

And thank you ladies for taking the trouble to advise me.:wink2:

Your opinions matter a great deal to me and I value your input, I know you are all thinking of me, and not how much money anyone will make from this, a big thank you for this girlies.

My solicitor is not in the office until Wednesday so I have to wait to speak to her, but spoke to her sidekick and he says I need to speak to her but at the end of the day I have to do which is best for me.

I'm not trying to sue the pants off anyone albeit the company is a very large American one.

I just want a working band , the surgery paid for and maybe a little compensation for all the stress and pain the faulty band has caused me.

The contrast study under x-ray ( to ascertain where the leak was) was not very pleasant and lasted almost an hour, with a lot of coloured fluids being injected into the port, in that time, quite painful actually, with tremendous bruising afterwards. Thats without the new surgery and the recuperation, because who knows what I will endure with the removal of the old band, and the replacing of a new one.

Sorry to drone on, but I know you can appreciate my worries.

Mmm, I am a great believer in 'everything happens for a reason', and I think you may be right about the non-arrival of the x-rays.

And thanx so much for wanting me to stay in touch even if I choose MVDB for my surgery, that is so nice.:Dancing_wub:

I'm not sure when I could have the op, but last time I was given a date within 2 weeks of my first consultation, so hoping it will be the same.

The convenience of no flights and taxi fares,and familiar surroundings outweigh everything.... although I feel awful for taking up Dr Chris's time, and I really appreciate his kindness for which I will always be grateful.

If i decide on Southampton I will mail Dr Chris thanking him for his time and trouble.

And thank you ladies for taking the trouble to advise me.:wink2:

freckles, i think i would prefer to be in uk if poss. i think its rough what you have been through though and would expect the band company to pay...its put you thro a lot of what you shouldnt have to go thro,because of their faulty band? if it was a pair of shoes that was faulty youd expect full refund..but if you had been put through distress,then youd get goodwill payment at least!..this company have a big responsibility, if you can prove it...go for gold!...like you say, the hosp and surgeon in uk has your trust, i think i would do it, then even if you do pay, after the band has been looked at and hopefully you will get a report on that...go for compensation?..dont worry about messing chris about...some other lucky patient will get your spot quickly! and i was told that there would be no prob if i wanted to cancel my op up to a week before too.let us know what you do and keep in touch even if you dont go with chris.Gillian x

Hi there

I am totally new to this so please forgive me if I do something wrong and please tell me!!

Well, after battling with my weight for as long as I can remember I have decided to take the plunge and get banded!!

After reading great reports on this forum I have decided to 'get done' by Dr Chris! I have paid my deposit and am booked in for Friday 13th March (I know Friday 13th!! This was the only date that really fitted with my husband. I keep telling myself that I am not superstitious!!) :Dancing_wub: Everything seems to be happening so quickly but when I make my mind up about something I just want it done!! I thought I may have to wait months especially booking so soon after Christmas!

Anyway I am both very, very excited and a little nervous so will probably be on here a lot! I had an emergency cesarean last year and keep telling myself it can't be any worse! :wink2::unsure::Dancing_wub:

Is anyone else out there getting banded by Dr Chris on the same day? If so please get in touch!!

I'd also love to hear from anyone who can give me any advice or tips.

Thanks in advance x :Dancing_wub:

Hi and welcome..i was banded friday...you will be in great hands!..its exciting after you have made the decision and booked it isnt it!.read back thro the forum for all the stories...it will take you ages tho!, but we are all gratefull to the people who went before us for their info, and hope we can do the same for you too now. i hope your back round to your mothers this summer dragging those suitcases of clothes back and ebaying your old big clothes instead!...i have had one normal childbirth, one planned c section and one emergency c section (i like to taste a bit of everything!)...and its nothing like as painfull and draining as that!, plus you can at least get some rest after...Gillian x

Thank you Gillian, your kindness and advice it means a lot.

Hope that wind passes without too much noise 101.gif

roflmoa.gifroflmoa.gifroflmoa.gif

wot a fab smilie ha ha

Thank you Gillian, your kindness and advice it means a lot.

Hope that wind passes without too much noise 101.gif

roflmoa.gifroflmoa.gifroflmoa.gif

Ha!...i wish it would pass that easily!..wont go up or down, feel very acidy too...stuck in my chest/neck... anyone have any tips?...is it advisable to take gaviscon or summat, or would it make it worse?..want an enormous burp but it wont come!...maybe ill stand on my head and see if it finds another way out!...how attractive!..love Gillian x

Hi gillian when i was ffirst banded i had same thing took bout 10days to ease off i found nothing that helped had to battle it out so sorry but its well worth the bit of discomfort... Is ur belly very swollen mine was twice the size and hard as a rock along with being completely black lol took 3wks before it started going down

Hi gillian when i was ffirst banded i had same thing took bout 10days to ease off i found nothing that helped had to battle it out so sorry but its well worth the bit of discomfort... Is ur belly very swollen mine was twice the size and hard as a rock along with being completely black lol took 3wks before it started going down

thankyou for that..its nice to know that its normal...i know bigsister is same too! did you feel sick or be sick a bit too?..at least you have put our minds at rest thankyou!..roll on 10 days then!..belly is a bit swollen and tight yes, but no bruising, and no pain really, bit hard to bend down still, but generally ok thanks x

Ah thats great ur doing so well and no bruising mine was unreal but maybe cos my fat was so soft it bruised easily i didnt actually be sick but first few days i was extremely weak and nauseous i heaved a few times but didnt get sick honestly when i think of the mess i was in leaving hospital no bra lol (so they were at my knees)lol massive bottoms no make up god how scary was i lol but i just was that weak and nauseous i couldnt of cared less just cringe when i think of it now... oh i tried adding u on Facebook but u must not of known who i was lol

So pleased for you TC and well done with keeping your blood pressure under control, no wonder its a bit high, you are after all going abroad for an operation, not a holiday. I hope that after its over your BP will come back to normal. Good luck and best wishes for your trip, I'll be thinking about you mmm.xxx :thumbup:

Thank you so much mmm. I must admit it was a relief when I was told I would stll be able to have my op. One week today and it will be all over - I cant wait. T x

I now have a little dilemma.

I wrote to Michael Van den Bossche (my surgeon) just after Christmas and asked how much would the new operation cost me, with the free band offered by the manufacturer and the discount offered by the Spire (bupa) Southampton, where I had my first op.

I thought I neede to weigh up pros and cons, after all its me that has to pay.

He has come back tonight with a price for me, which he says he is awaiting agreement from the Spire, but he knows they wont go any lower. The fee also includes 2 fills.

He wants to know if it acceptable to me.

It is less than Dr Chris's quote and of course we could drive to Southampton, so no flight costs, the £ is down again against the Euro, this is why

I did trust MVDB and the hospital, I felt very safe and was well cared for , not saying i wont get the same treatment as I know I will if I go to Belgium.

What do you girls think I should do.:thumbup:

Hi Freckles - I know what I would do given the chance and that would be to stay with the surgeon that put the band there in the first place (as long as I was as sure as you are that he was up to the job) You felt safe with him, you dont have to travel too far and have to pay less to him than with Dr Chris -there is no contest in my mind. Whatever you decide we will be here for you. T x