Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone know of Dr De Bruyne Chris

Hi Everyone,

I'm back in the land of the living!! My operation went fine but I am having a few teething problems. Just for the benefit of the newbies I'm going to do a diary of my time in brussels.

Day 1: Arrived at Brussels airport at 9.30am. There was a man standing at arrivals with a ECFS sign in his hand. I went over to him and told him my name, we followed him to a taxi where he brought us to the Campanille Hotel. Hotel quite basic but very clean and you certainly wouldn't be up for much luxury after surgery. Anyway, while I'm waiting to check in I meet two english men who told me they were there for surgery too!!

At 8.40pm there was a knock on the door. An average sized guyed with blond hair introduces himself as Frederik Serneels. He comes into the room and brings myself and my husband through the operation, shows me a lapband and gives me some literature. I hand over €3600. He leaves and tells me there will be a taxi at 6.45am for me in the morning. (all quite surreal)

Day 2: Taxi arrives as promised at 6.45am. Taken to hospital. Take a ticket from a ticket machine and wait for number to be called. Give the details to the lady and she gets a chart together for me. Then taken to the first floor to a meeting room. There Dr Chris arrives to give 5 of us (including Kathy (High Axiety) a run down on the band and what to do and not to do.

We are then shown to our rooms - immaculate with electronic beds. The nurses don't even wear rubber gloves taking bloods or anything. Anyway, quick blood test and ecg then gown and hat and I'm good to go. At this stage it's 9.40am and the girl beside me has already gone to theatre. Then I'm called ( I was 2nd) so lucky me. I was wheeled down to theatre on the bed and then transfered to an operating table. Knocked out at 11.15am and woke up at 12.25pm in recovery. Felt awful. Couldn't catch my breath but they gave me oxygen and that seemed to sort me out. Had a bit of pain so they jabbed me and a minute later......painfree!

Brought back to the room about 1.45pm. The day is a bit of a blur I must be honest. You will find you drift in and out of sleep. The worst part for me was not being able to drink. Mouth was so dry. Every nurse that came in I chanced my arm for a drink! The gave me a sponge lollipop in ice cold Water to clean my mouth.....it was heaven! Blood pressure taken every 2 - 3 hours. You'd want to see the size of the bed pans!! My 5 year old daughters would hardly fit on it let alone an overweight person. Anyway I declined and asked to go to the loo which I was happy I was able to do with the nurses help.Dr Chris popped in about 5pm to say the op went well with no complications.

Tossed and turned all night but no pain mostly discomfort.

Day 3 : Bloods again and blood pressure. Then removal of the drain from my left side (this is to remove any blood from the operating site). Then down for an xray. My xray wasn't the best. I had a slight resistance but Dr chris said no worry as it went down eventually. Then we are called to the meeting room once again. There he tells us about aftercare and the do's and don'ts again. He gives us out our operation notes and band details. I have the 7ml helogast which holds 8.5mls. The operation notes said I have a "mild steaotic liver (basically fatty liver) other than that no other visual pathology".

Discharged at 2pm. Taxi there to meet me to bring us to campanille. Went for a little walk that night.

Day 4 : Time to go home. Felt very nauseous but those motillium melts are absolutely brill. Can you guys get them in the UK? I don't think they're in Ireland yet but get them if you can.

Got home at 1pm and thought I'd try my first meal since Thursday night.....an activia yogurt. Went down ok but about 2 hours later the nausea was unreal. I think it was too thick and I think I ate it too fast.

Anyway, thats for the purpose of the newbies. Nothing hidden. Today I feel much better. Am up and about doing the washing then I'll sit down again for a while . Made a huge pot of veg Soup and pureed it and had that for lunch and it was yum.

The one thing I'll say about the band journey is it's so emotional. It makes you confront your demons. I found myself crying unconsolably to my husband on Thurs night saying how the hell did I let myself get to this. Saying goodbye to the kids was heart breaking. I was brushing my daughters hair wondering was this going to be the last time I'd do that? I know now the fear was natural but at the same time irrational. Fred did ask if I'd any fears and i said "that i'll die on the table". He said Dr Chris has never had a mortality and in the event that something wasn't right they'd cease the operation. He said "what good would it be to leave 4 children without a mother for the sake of a gastric band?". I really respected him for this and from then on I was ok. I felt that Dr Chris priorities were in the right place.

It was awful sad that Kathy didn't get done. She's had such a hard life and she was so upset. I tried to comfort her as best I could but after all I was standing there with my band and my health and she'd been through the op for no band and then given that awful news about the liver. I would wholeheartedly agree with Kathy and tell the Dr anything you think you should. Better for him to be prepared.

well done shelley!...that was a really brilliant post for all those going over soon!!..i think we were all the same as you, it mirrored my experience anyway. go carefully for a few days and get plenty of rest. yes you can buy motilum tablets for the nausea in the chemist now, they are good..and i do remember the feeling of thirst after op..i was same, but that sponge lolly really does help it was a slimy mess by the time i got that first bottle of water! what a shame about poor kathy though, i really feel for her..but like you say dr chris and his team has your best interest at heart and not the money.x

Welcome back shellyg, im glad everything went well for you.. im sure you will be posting your weight loss on here before you know it x

Wel i must say shelly that was a very accurate description of what happens.You virtully wrote what happened to me.You made me chuckle about the bed pan.lol

Ah thanks gillian but im stil a big bird lol have u a email addy and il try find a few pics from just before the band and forward them to u

Gillian just emailed u a few pics and OMG im horrified at how i looked lol

Edited by flirtylass

Wow what a busy day it's been for posts after such a quiet weekend. I don't post much myself but I check in usually a couple of times a day to see how everyone getting on and to see what new info and tips I can pick up. I find I don't need to ask many questions because the back-log of advice is wonderful and so definitive but I would like to say a hearty thank you to shelly for that enlightening chronicle of her journey so far. Please keep us updated Shelly, every morsel of knowledge and experience is gratefully digested:thumbup:

Sounds like I'm thinking about food again :)

Cheers XXX

wht a cheeky bitch how dare she,i bet she is ugly as well, quite right hope you gave her hell. I bet you looked gorg in yer dress. Gi me her number cheeky ****** ***** *****

gx

LOL u go gary.. give her what for x :)

i would have to agree with mmm on this it is horrible and you panic but it does pass, i had it on friday, its bl**dy sore especiallay when I had eaten the same things on many occasions before.

G

Hi garry MMM Gillian Wishfull thanks for the advice i think i let myself go to long with out food i was'nt consitrating on what i was eating big mistake wont be doing that again in a hurry very frightening i know now i have got some restriction but i can eat more then whats on a tea plate at the mo so i think next fill should defo get to sweet spot :)

Im so sorry Kathy to hear what happened to you all i can say that we are all hear to support you love you will loss weight in your own time dont give up lol:smile::)

Welcome back ShellyG great to see you back safe and sound each day you will feel a bit better take it easy you need to rest lol :):smile:

what date are you going? i was the same as you..good job when its all over and done with! you will be fine x

Going on the 25th of this month. 10 days time!!!:)

Ah thank you so much mmm for your reply.

Believe it or not its my birthday on the 4th August!!!

Must be a good time of year to have it done.....

I will certainly start looking through all the previous posts.

I take it you were banded in Belgium as you speak so highly of them.

When was op done?

Do you ever miss food?

Toppings

Hi Topping im living in Kildare had my surgery 6th March i have had know regrets, i could not fault Dr chris and his team you be in good hands,i am having my forth fill in Dublin on the 2th July to what time is your app, if you have any ? ask away you will find all the info you need here its a fantastic forum guys on here are all at differant stages so theres always some one there to help:smile::)

Shelly g what a great chronicle of your journey. Its time consuming writing all that but its great for us prebanders. Cheers jx

Hi girlies, sorry been mad busy, but I AM GONNA HAVE TO CALL IN AT LEAST ONCE A DAY COS i DONT HAVE THE TIME TO READ ALL THE POSTS OTHERWISE. sorry about the caps....

thanx so much shoes, I see you are trying to be good and eating 3 times a day, I'm gonna try to do that too. And stop the booze, thats maybe why I'm not losing.

Have lost a little tghis weekend, gonna update my ticker now.

Hi freckles, i love a drink myself but have to admit it defo slows down your weight loss if i have a drink at the weekend i only would have few vodka's and diat coke i could be up a couple of pounds not fair ,going to a party on Sat nite i am defo going to have a few cant be good all the time lol:smile:

Hi Gillian

You once mentioned some pills from the doctors that were double strenght ALLi. Can you give me there name. I'm trying to lose weight before the op and felt as though I was doing ok but Some of the old stuff is beginning to creep back into the diet. And I cant let that happen now.:)

ShellyG

Thanks for the wonderful post about your operation. I have a much better insight into what will haopen when I finally get to Brussels in August.

Hi everyone else:thumbup:

take Care

Jackie

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for all the lovely comments. I was the know it all over there......thanks to you guys!!! My hubby was amazed how much I knew like there was a C & A in vilvoorde (thanks gillian!). He kept telling me "no there's no C & A", don't know if that was just that I didn't spend any more money!!!. I love C & A and we don't have it anymore in Ireland. Also thought of you garry when I saw the bikkies in the room, i didn't get to sample them though, should've taken them home with me. Thought of you suefee when I was waiting to go into the operating theatre......did feel like running myself i must declare. Fastmelts are at the ready...thanks flirty!Anyway, I am so very thankful to each and every

one of you for helping me get this far. To be honest I don't think I would've gone ahead with it if I hadn't read this site.

One favour to ask......can anyone tell me how to do my ticker??? I have the ticker part done but don't know how to put it onto this site.