Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone know of Dr De Bruyne Chris

My 2 daughters are in the 6th piccy the middle one Sarah, who's now gone on her travels and my eldest daughter Rachel the one on the left, (both with long blonde hair) who has a band and is pregnant.

Sarah's boyfriend is on the left of the pic with Rachel and her fella on the right.

I am in the last one, can you spot me?

Hi Freckles - don't know about the lord having his arm round your shoulder, but who's the bloke next to you in the photo and looks to be coppin' a good old grope?! Looks like you are indulging in at least 2 vices there despite your protestations the other day! Bigsis x

ps I'm presuming I identified you correctly, you look great by the way. Unbelievable you are a great grandma.

BAND MEETING

If we were to stick a pin in a map of the uk as to where would be a good location for us all to meet for a wee get together where would it be, give me an indication as to locations as i am quite sure we could arrange a small get together and of course a few small alcopops of course sugar free and no gas. I know flirty is up for it (meeting that is ) and going by some previous posts me thinks ther may be a few others.

JUst a wee idea.

Gx

I reckon Sheffield is the most convenient spot for everyone! Bigsis x

Yes its fast approaching lol im feeling excited/nervous/anxious all at the same time if im making any sense lol..

It's so soothing & reassuring to read you guys experiances,, I must admit it makes me feel more at ease about the Op etc.....

I made the mistake of telling me Grandmother about the Op and she's told quite a few other family members who have inundated me with calls not to do it etc....:angry:

But I remain focused on this journey and look forward to the new me & really just getting my confidence back..:smile2:

Cant-weight

Hi Cant Weight. It's disheartening isn't it if you're getting opposition from the people you would hope would support you? Get them to read this whole thread first before commenting and all the success stories on here and then they will be better informed. As has already been said, a lot of people get band surgery confused with other more radical gastric surgery but you will just have to enlighten them and then get them to eat their words once you present them with the evidence of your success - which will soon be here. Bigsister x

Hi cantweight, i hope your family come round to the idea and give you the support you want and need, i think people worry more because your going to belgium for surgery, talk to them and once you tell them you have done LOADS of research into the surgeon and the op itself and spoke to post op patients im sure they will change there minds, hope so anyway x

Would that be at gillians or yours lol x

big sis

you would not happen to live in sheffield would you?

Gx

How'd you guess. Just off for weekend in Newcastle now, enjoy your weekend everyone, bigsis x

SWEET SPOT

Every one is different and restriction form the band will happen to everyone at a different level, you will hear everyone talking about fills, the sweet spot is where you persoanlly feel most comfortable with your level of restriction so that could be 2 fills for you but 6 for me just how you want to be. Some people with a band want to be super tight and can only eat mush or pureed food through choice and some people only want light rstriciton just a gentle reminder that something is there. I know a lady at the support group i attend that her sweet spot is very tight and can only eat mush, thats her choice, she has lost 14 stone and that just how she wants it. I hope to get restriciton but still pretty much want to eat normal food allbeit smaller amounts however at the moment while i am motivated rstriction would not make a huge difference however in 6 months time where i may be struggling with dieting i might choose to have it tight to make sure i keep loosing, so your sweet spot is where you feel most comfortable and are loosing weight.

Hope this helps.

think that covers it Garry!..its a different feeling for everyone..and its what you want it to be..i think i could do with mine being tighter initially so its actually uncomfortable to eat most solids as i think thats the only way ill lose weight at the mo...but when i have lost a good amount, think ill want it looser to eat more normal foods..but then i know i can always have it tightened up if it creeps up again..someone on tv had lost about 12 stone and over the 4 years i think she has had more than 30 fills and unfills to suit her like this,which sounds bit extreme...but suppose other people find that they dont need any adjustments after 2 or 3 fills..as they steadily lose till they get to there target. i read somewhere that the "sweet spot" is where the average person is losing a steady 2lb a week.after a few fills, and then reaching target and keeping it off may need another "sweet spot" fill or even unfil to stabilise your target. so everyones "sweet spot" is different id say?

yes...sheffield is bang in the middle of that map! my house for a curry everyone!! x

Yes its fast approaching lol im feeling excited/nervous/anxious all at the same time if im making any sense lol..

It's so soothing & reassuring to read you guys experiances,, I must admit it makes me feel more at ease about the Op etc.....

I made the mistake of telling me Grandmother about the Op and she's told quite a few other family members who have inundated me with calls not to do it etc....:angry:

But I remain focused on this journey and look forward to the new me & really just getting my confidence back..:smile2:

Cant-weight

Bless you!..i think if some one in my family told me last year they were going for the op id have been worried as i didnt know anything about the op, but when i started researching it last year decided it was ok, and could even be preventative surgery for your future health...my doctor was all for it and agreed totally..my mum (also bigsisters mum!) was all for it too..i remember her cutting things out of magazines and sky+ things on morning tv progs etc to show me..she didnt tell me to do it, but knew how unhappy i was with my weight and how my future health would suffer, and supported me..i said a year ago that i would "never have that done", and after reading these things and then researching it..i understood it was ok, and decided to look for a surgeon...it was this thread last october that made me go for it with dr chris (and ferns success around that time too!)..i was worried about telling my family and friends..but when i did, i text my sister and got a text back about 2 seconds later saying..if you are i am!...and she did on the same day, only my family know, and are supportive mainly, and i just told couple of good friends, but a few more people know now, as its let slip a bit, but im not that bothered..but feel that all eyes are on me now in the school playground etc!..people just dont understand it,cos they probably havent needed to research it like us on here...its not something were gonna jump into lightly, its a lot of money, some initial pain, scars and we have got to watch our eating habits for ever, and have to give foods we previously enjoyed up (warm ciabatta...mmmm!) were not doing it as a fad or cos were lazy, as its NOT an easy way out!. all you can do is help your family understand your concerns for your future health and happiness..also cos its abroad, which i was worried about, but dr chris is apparantly the second busiest band surgeon in the world and one of the most experienced and highly respected band surgeons..some of the belgium surgeons actually taught the british surgeons how to band!and chris bands all day over there,your in great hands. and the hospitals and nursing staff are excellent,no corners are cut. you get fantastic care and service and mrsa is unheard of there, i would certainly go back there for any other procedure no probs..sure your family be fine after the op is over, they are just showing care and concern for you..and it could help you to live a longer healthier life, which im sure they would want for you. theyll be all for it in another month or two, youll see!!..good luck! x

Edited by gillian

Thankyou all so much for your kind words & support,

I guess my family are just scared of the unknown and I need to spend a little time telling them more about the procedure,,,

Its amazing how the news spread about like wild fire :smile2: I started getting calls from distant fam I aint spoke to in ages...

I have spoken to my gran again and she did actually think I was having bypass surgery ( bless her ) she still doesnt like the idea of me going abroad but ive assured her I would be in good hands.....& try not to worry to much...

My uncle told me I should just diet and excercise and not to do the surgery; he said we are a big boned family lol

They dont see how low the weight really makes me feel inside, because im always smiling and joking around... they dont realise sometimes I dont even wanna look in the mirror because of my size my confidence is at a all time low..... was just thinking the other day it would be nice to go swimming or walk down the beach without a top on like most blokes...

the last time I did that was about 16years ago...lol

cant-weight.

BAND MEETING

If we were to stick a pin in a map of the uk as to where would be a good location for us all to meet for a wee get together where would it be, give me an indication as to locations as i am quite sure we could arrange a small get together and of course a few small alcopops of course sugar free and no gas. I know flirty is up for it (meeting that is ) and going by some previous posts me thinks ther may be a few others.

JUst a wee idea.

Gx

I'm in the Reading (Berkshire) area. My mum lives close to Chester if that's any use. Would love to meet up at some point. Can be difficult though as hubby works away alot and I don't really have any baby sitters here. But if he's home or have notice I could hopefully sort something xxxxx

Just tell me where and when our get together is and if i'm in the uk I'll come. But please make in near a motorway